SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-01-08, 04:55 PM   #1
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

Default GWX2 - RealWeatherFix Mod

Several users have complained that GWX2 locks up in 2nd-stage loading with the RealWeatherFix.

I have spent the evening installing GWX2 on my computer and can confirm that there is a problem. Loading of files in second-stage loading does indeed occur after 5% has loaded, and it is necessary to exit with ctrl-alt-delete, and close down SH3.

The problem does NOT lie with the executable program RealWeatherFix.exe. This executes exactly as planned. The replacement files that it creates (campaign_LND/RND/SCR.mis and scene.dat) are *exactly identical* (using a machine file comparer) to those that I make by manual alteration of the same files.

The problem does NOT lie with the modified campaign files either. Using the GWX2 original file scene.dat, the modified campaign files are perfectly happy to load.

The problem DOES lie with the large GWX2 file 'scene.dat', which, after receiving our weather modifications either automatically (with RealWeatherFix.exe) or manually by me, refuses to load the campaign files thereafter.

I have absolutely no idea why this problem occurs. In the meantime, I regret greatly that the large number of users of GWX2 cannot use our weather fix.

Since I do not wish to be accused of deliberate attempts to sabotage GWX2 users, I shall be happy to collaborate with any of the GWX team who wishes to seek to correct the GWX2 scene.dat file. (Send me a PM).

I can confirm that simply restoring the back-up files that RealWeatherFix mod creates will restore GWX2 to its original state.

In the meantime, to avoid further confusion, I have *removed the RealWeatherFix mod from the FileFront website*, pending a change to the documentation to exclude GWX2 users.

Apologies to those who may have suffered difficulties in consequence of using this mod.

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-08, 05:24 PM   #2
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142
Uploads: 0

Keep plugging away at it !!! It sounds like you guys are on the right track ! Maybe you can get the RealWeather Fix into the next GWX release.

If both the NYGM and GWX teams got on this issue together, I imagine that a lot of issues could be solved ! Thanks for doing this for the community !!!
Old 02-01-08, 05:34 PM   #3
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

Thanks Stiebler. Will contact you just as soon as I can get clear of some RL matters.

I'm curious as to why it won't work as well.

We'll get it sorted I'm sure.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-08, 06:31 PM   #4
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

There were changes to the scene.dat in 2.0
If you are useing an absolute address for insertion of hex code?
Then Yes,
it's misplaced in the 2.0 scene.dats,
therefore,
the problems.
Should be a simple matter to make a new installer to match the adjusted
Hex addresses.
Old 02-01-08, 07:25 PM   #5
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer
There were changes to the scene.dat in 2.0
If you are useing an absolute address for insertion of hex code?
Then Yes,
it's misplaced in the 2.0 scene.dats,
therefore,
the problems.
Should be a simple matter to make a new installer to match the adjusted
Hex addresses.
Not wanting to highjack this thread, but if this is the case, then there is potentially another compatibility problem between GWX2 and SH3Cmdr. Remember, SH3Cmdr allows users to change the following scene.dat values:

- water density (UnderwaterFogEnd(Fog))
- wave height (MaxWaveHeight)

If the byte offsets to these values are no longer 975 and 691 respectively, then SH3Cmdr users running GWX2 MUST not adjust water clarity or set wave heights (the SH3 options must remain unchecked).
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-08, 08:10 PM   #6
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I'll look into this tonite.
Thanks for pointing it out.

Address 975 shows a value of 15
Address 691 shows a value of 320

So those should be ok, Correct?

Now, I'm not sure where the offset begins.
I know it's there cause I had to adjust the Commander files before.
Easy enuff to find.
Old 02-01-08, 08:28 PM   #7
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer
I'll look into this tonite.
Thanks for pointing it out.

Address 975 shows a value of 15
Address 691 shows a value of 320

So those should be ok, Correct?
Yes, phew! Although, I kinda thought this might be the case because I would be mighty surprised if at least some SH3Cmdr users didn't use these options (in which case I'd have expected more CTD reports).

If these offsets do ever change, then we'll have a small problem - the offsets are hard-coded in SH3Cmdr (2.5 years ago I never considered the internal structure of this file changing - other files, yes, this one, no), meaning that compatibility will only be achieved if I change the code. We'll cross that bridge if we ever have to though.

Another file to be mindful of is GUNS_SUB.sim. If the byte offset for reload_time_88 and reload_time_105 ever changes from 10620 and 694, pls let me know as the same problem will apply.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-08, 08:41 PM   #8
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

To my knowledge, very few people ever mess with the Guns_sub files.
There seems to be to many unknowns involved in that area.
Quite interesting actually.
Why can't we get a fully funtional 37mmTSA on a IID?
I can mount it with no problem, but crew don't show and I can't go to it.
Old 02-02-08, 03:34 AM   #9
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

@Kpt Lehmann:

Thanks for your PM. I shall reply when I've finished reading all the complaints. That may take some time!

@Privateer/JScones:

I know better than to use fixed byte locations in a data file that can be altered. RealWeatherFix mod looks for the name of the parameter to change, then changes the associated values. The progress report when you run RWF gives clear indication of whether the mod has located (or failed to locate) any parameters.

Besides, last night I made manual changes to the GWX2 scene.dat file, to install the same weather values. The hand-made file is identical to the mod-made file, and both cause GWX2 to freeze during second-stage loading. I am truly baffled as to the cause.

Subtype Zero, a GWX user, has again confirmed that RealWeatherFix works with GWX 1.03. For those not familiar with mod releases, that was the immediate predecessor of GWX2.

Stiebler.
Old 02-02-08, 06:52 AM   #10
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Default GWX-2 + RealWeatherFix mod: problem resolved

The problem with GWX2 - RealWeatherFix mod lies in the fact that I was testing with the wrong file scene.dat for GWX2. The real one is *twice* as long! As a result, maximum buffer size allocated in the mod was too small for GWX. The GWX-2 file is an incredible 905 Kbytes. The cause of the problem was that the GWX-2 file was being truncated. [So why not use a dynamic buffer size? Static buffer sizes are normally much more robust.]

I've fixed this problem - trivial enough - and am testing now. The GWX-2 file loads uneventfully now.

A single patrol from Kiel with GWX-2 was also uneventful.

Apologies to all GWX-2 users for my blunder. A replacement mod 'RealWeatherFix2.zip' will be available from the previous filefront address by the end of today (UK time).
http://hosted.filefront.com/TeddyBar/

Stiebler.

Old 02-02-08, 07:34 AM   #11
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

No need for apologies
Trying to get something to work with ALL mods isnt easy
I am sure everyone appreciated the extra mile in order to make it work with GWX 2
Kudos Stiebler

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-08, 08:06 AM   #12
Paajtor
The Old Man

Downloads: 64
Uploads: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiebler

Apologies to all GWX-2 users for my blunder. A replacement mod 'RealWeatherFix2.zip' will be available from the previous filefront address by the end of today (UK time).

Stiebler.

When the file becomes available, could you by any chance add a non-FileFront mirror?
I'd like to try this mod.

Paajtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-08, 08:07 AM   #13
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiebler
The problem with GWX2 - RealWeatherFix mod lies in the fact that I was testing with the wrong file scene.dat for GWX2. The real one is *twice* as long! As a result, maximum buffer size allocated in the mod was too small for GWX. The GWX-2 file is an incredible 905 Kbytes. The cause of the problem was that the GWX-2 file was being truncated. [So why not use a dynamic buffer size? Static buffer sizes are normally much more robust.]

I've fixed this problem - trivial enough - and am testing now. The GWX-2 file loads uneventfully now.

A single patrol from Kiel with GWX-2 was also uneventful.

Stiebler.

Thank you thank you thank you!
Old 02-02-08, 08:28 AM   #14
difool2
Commander

Downloads: 30

[quote=Paajtor]
Quote:
When the file becomes available, could you by any chance add a non-FileFront mirror?
I'd like to try this mod.
What's wrong with Filefront? At least there you don't get pestered by ads strongly urging you to buy their premium download service...
difool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-08, 08:37 AM   #15
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Yeah, besides, it's a tiny download... even if your connection to FF is crap it'll only take a second.