SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-05-07, 12:49 PM   #1
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

* Released * Racerboy's VIIc speed controlled dual exhaust with ADM for SH3 1.4b

as promised once again, here is the VIIc version of the SDDE with ADM for SH3 1.4b. From the readme file:

This mod will enable a smoke exhaust for the left and right exhaust ports on the VIIc. Each exhaust is totally independant of the other. Each exhaust port's smoke is a function of speed. At 0 knots you will just barely see exhaust smoke coming from the exhaust ports. At Ahead Flank (top speed) you will see the maximum amount of smoke. In between those speeds the smoke output in linear in regards to speed. Note that if you are travelling at Ahead Flank and order an All Stop bell the exhaust smoke will still continue and diminish in output as the sub's speed decreases ultimately coming to a very small output at 0 knots.
I have made each exhaust independant of each other to open the possibility of engine failures, engine wear, sabotage, etc. to be implemented by SH3 Commander or a stand alone program of my design. This can be made possible in SH3 Commander by using different TGAs for the smoke for given dates. The TGAs could become darker and/or change color as the date increases thus modeling engine wear and tear with use. You could also model increased smoke output and/or darker color smoke in one engine vice the other by using the same method mentioned. Age of the diesels (and thus wear) or sabotage of one/both engines could be modeled also by darker smoke coming from one or both engines. There are many possibilities here!
The exhaust smoke is influenced by the wind and thus you will see the exhaust follow the wind. The exhaust smoke is also influenced by the wind your sub causes and the interaction of your sub with the present wind. This is achieved by local and global Air Disturbance Models (ADM). These ADMs are VERY complicated and the best thing to do to try and understand them is read the tweak files and experiment!
The exhaust smoke will cease if the exhaust port is covered by water. It will resume once the exhaust port isn't blocked anymore. This also means that the exhaust smoke will cease when you submerge and will restart when you surface. Note that once your sub has surfaced it may 'teeter-totter' until it settles on the surface and thus you may see the exhaust smoke start and stop and restart several times. This can also occur in high seas.
Comments/suggestions/criticism (all forms) are greatly appreciated and welcomed!

This is version 1.03 of this mod and it includes:
- NSS_Uboat7c.val
- folder called 'Smoke_TGAs_1_03' containing the TGAs used for the smoke
- folder called 'Tweak_File_1_03' containing the tweak file for this mod. (see comments in tweak file for explanations and info on exhaust smokes and ADMs)
- folder called 'Designed_Values_1_03' containing a text file with the designed values (in case you tweak yourself into a mess......which you will!!) so you can use the Mini-Tweaker tool to reset them back to as designed values or for reference purposes

Revision History:
1.00 Initial Release

1.01 Added 3 smoke TGA's per exhaust port named:
- Left exhaust port:
- 7c_Exhaust_L1.tga
- 7c_Exhaust_L2.tga
- 7c_Exhaust_L3.tga
- Right exhaust port:
- 7c_Exhaust_R1.tga
- 7c_Exhaust_R2.tga
- 7c_Exhaust_R3.tga

1.02 Revamped ADMs. Physics of wind and sub interaction in the wind and how they affect the exhaust smokes enhanced considerably
All smoke TGAs are exactly the same now (still overrideable)
Tweak file
Text file with 'as designed' values
Longer stern wake (use tweak file to suit to taste)

1.03 Placed all code for this mod in the .val file to let the user change skins
Changed code IDs to be more efficient (on my end)
Tweak file is now only a single file

The smoke TGAs are overridable by copying your own versions to \data\Textures\TNormal\tex. The image size should be 32 pixels x 32 pixels for best results. These TGAs are packed into the NSS_Uboat7c.val file.

Upcoming ideas/development for this mod:
- Ability to tie to battery recharging mode to give full smoke output when recharging batteries
- adding smoke to snorkel
- Ability to tie to engine damaged thus removing smoke output when engine not available
- Ability to tie to engine damaged thus increasing smoke output when engine damaged
- Ability to tie to 'power' of the engines and thus increase smoke output when 'power' increases

The mod is based on the SH3 1.4b NSS_Uboat7c.val file and has only been tested using SH3 patched to 1.4b
This mod is fully JSGME compliant. Delete previous versions of this mod, unzip, and copy new folder version to mods folder, enable, and enjoy!
I would like to thank my BETA testers for the initial testing of the VIIb version of this mod and the feedback they gave. I would also like to thank the following people for their help/assistance in making this mod a reality:
- MushMartin
- Privateer
- DivingDuck
- Rubini
- A6Intruder
- and anyone else who I may have forgotten. It's not intentional! (please let me know if I missed your name so I may include your name!)

I would like to give credit to the following people for their work on GWX and the files I have based this mod on:
- Kpt. Lehmann and the GWX team for making GWX possible and for giving me permission to use their files
- Fubar for the UBoat textures included in the files used
- Ref for the 3D model corrections contained in the files used

Copyright notice:
This mod (Racerboy's VIIc speed controlled dual exhaust with ADM) and all versions thereof and all corresponding files of said mod are freeware. The files, or parts thereof, may NOT be used in commercial products in any way and may NOT be included, in part or in whole, in commercial products without prior written permission by the author.

I have also implemented a means of detecting unauthorized copying of this mod in the files themselves. If you would like to use this mod in conjunction with other mods or inlcude it in a mod you already have just ask me for permission and give credit where credit is due if permission is granted.

Racerboy

http://dodownload.filefront.com/8566...9bad71f9c07173

Questions/comments/concerns/etc. please post to here. Enjoy!

Last edited by TheDarkWraith; 09-16-07 at 12:13 AM.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 02:31 PM   #2
lutzow
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 103
Uploads: 0
Thank you Racerboy - and a question:
RBs_VIIc_exh_mod_GWX - is this mod will give me Your Long Wakes and
Exhaust Smoke together in the same time ?

http://hosted.filefront.com/Lutzow1
lutzow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 03:14 PM   #3
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutzow
Thank you Racerboy - and a question:
RBs_VIIc_exh_mod_GWX - is this mod will give me Your Long Wakes and
Exhaust Smoke together in the same time ?
that version is no longer valid and thus has been removed as a download. The current version is posted above and it includes tweak files. In the tweak file for the NSS_Uboat7c.val file you will find provisions have been made for you to tweak longer wakes to your heart's content!
So to answer your question, the link posted above includes the exhaust smoke and longer wakes.
Old 08-05-07, 03:30 PM   #4
lutzow
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 103
ThanX again
Now i know everything what i need about thiZ superB MOD!
Now the sinking will be much pleasure . ThanX to you: MODDER
And about what you working now? Meybe YOU can do the COMBAT FLAG?
Do you read that thread?
It will be small work 4u.
I don't have any skills to codework...
GreetZ

http://hosted.filefront.com/Lutzow1
lutzow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 03:55 PM   #5
supposedtobeworking
XO

Downloads: 59

hmmm...you say you based the VIIB off of GWX files which enabled this mod...but the thread indicates it is for 1.4b (vanilla?). Is this GWX compatible? thanks
supposedtobeworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 04:12 PM   #6
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by supposedtobeworking
hmmm...you say you based the VIIB off of GWX files which enabled this mod...but the thread indicates it is for 1.4b (vanilla?). Is this GWX compatible? thanks
typo in the readme file. Thank you for noticing that. I will update. This one is based on SH3 1.4b files. There is a version out based on GWX 1.03 files also.
Old 08-05-07, 04:20 PM   #7
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Cool stuff! Anxiously awaiting the other boats.
Old 08-05-07, 04:33 PM   #8
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

I have found typos in my readme files and am updating all currently along with the links to the downloads with the correct readme files included. The main typo was that the TGA filenames were incorrectly named. They should've read 7x_Exhaust_L(R)x instead of 7x_Exh_L(R). They are correct in the files just not correct in the text file included. Once I have uploaded for all I will post again with link to revised txt file for each. I have corrected each versions original post to reflect the correct filenames.

Last edited by TheDarkWraith; 08-05-07 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-05-07, 04:42 PM   #9
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

the link in the original post has been corrected with the correct D/L and the typos corrected also. If you had downloaded prior to this update you'll need to update the readme file with this:

http://dodownload.filefront.com/8236...9bad71f9c07173

Sorry about that!

Last edited by TheDarkWraith; 08-05-07 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-05-07, 08:39 PM   #10
sh3rules
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 24

Awesome!
sh3rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-07, 12:14 AM   #11
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

new version available that places all the code for the mod in the .val file so the user can change skins and not impact the mod. Available here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...39&postcount=1
Old 09-18-07, 02:12 AM   #12
Paajtor
The Old Man

Downloads: 64
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerboy
Does this mean this mod is incompatible with NVDrifter's LongerWakes-mod?

Sorry if I missed something, but I couldn't find a reference about any relation in your exhaust-topics .

Paajtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-07, 01:52 PM   #13
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paajtor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerboy
Does this mean this mod is incompatible with NVDrifter's LongerWakes-mod?

Sorry if I missed something, but I couldn't find a reference about any relation in your exhaust-topics .
I'm not familiar with NVDrifter's LongerWakes mod...what file(s) does it replace? If it replaces the NSS_Uboatxx.val then yes it's incompatible.
Old 09-18-07, 03:17 PM   #14
Paajtor
The Old Man

Downloads: 64
Uploads: 1

Yes, it replaces every *.val-file inside the ...data\submarine-folder...so I guess the 2 are incompatible.

You can get his mod (-s) here, if you want to take a look yourself:

http://hosted.filefront.com/aragorn155/

Here's a SubSim topic:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...akes+Nvdrifter

But on a side-note: what exactly would be broken in your exhaust-mod, if I overwrite it with Nvdrifter's longer wake?
Just your own longer stern-wake, or the entire exhaust mod?

Paajtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-07, 03:27 PM   #15
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paajtor
Yes, it replaces every *.val-file inside the ...data\submarine-folder...so I guess the 2 are incompatible.

You can get his mod (-s) here, if you want to take a look yourself:

http://hosted.filefront.com/aragorn155/

Here's a SubSim topic:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...akes+Nvdrifter

But on a side-note: what exactly would be broken in your exhaust-mod, if I overwrite it with Nvdrifter's longer wake?
Just your own longer stern-wake, or the entire exhaust mod?
the entire exhaust mod. I suggest you take a look at my tweak file. I have included my own version of longer wakes and it's very easy to implement.