SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-28-07, 09:23 AM   #1
ParaB
Chief

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0
Default [REL] Tweaked air strikes

ParaB's tweaked air strikes, JSGME-compatible version, V 1.0

I didn't like the way enemy airstrikes were currently implemented in the game, especially their frequency and effectiveness. For example, in some map regions I picked up enemy planes on radar pretty much every half an hour. And they were always coming right at me. This is far from being realistic, since the pacific theater of war covers a gigantic area, and neither the japanese nor the allies did have the ressources to put up constant air patrols in these numbers.

Another problem was the IMO lousy effectiveness of enemy air strikes. During one patrol I just sailed down the japanese coast and simply ignored all air strikes, I must have suffered at least a dozen attacks without getting a scratch...

Also enemy planes attacking my boat at night with pretty much zero visibility didn't seem right.

What my little mod does:

It reduces the probability of enemy air strikes and increases the pauses between them. To make up for that, the effectiveness of airstrikes has been considerably increased during day (but decreased during night).

In gameplay terms this means that you'll get attacked by aircraft a lot less, but if you see an aircraft they will pose a much more serious threat.

This mod works best during early war, 1941/42.

During testing I encountered far less air strikes, but already the third one (two H8Ks) sank my boat during their first pass.

Testing these changes is a bit difficult because of the random elements that are involved, so I'd be very grateful for some feedback, to help me improve the mod, if necessary.

Download LInk: (left-click)

http://freenet-homepage.de/parabellu...ir_strikes.zip

Installation:

Unzip the folder into your ...\SH4\MODS folder and install/deinstall via JSGME.

ParaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 09:28 AM   #2
Anachronous
Medic

Downloads: 22

Sounds good. It pretty much covers most my gripes with Airstrikes. Except the bad flight model :P
Old 03-28-07, 09:54 AM   #3
Redwine
Sea Lord

Downloads: 9

Hi Para B...

Many thanks for your effort !

I was tweaking this file, but only touch de default air strike probability... those planes are so anoying.

Just a question...

Where you put :

Competent Airbase Modifier=8

Was it your intention to rise up it to 8 ?

Or must it to be 0.8 ? :hmm:

Elite base has a value of 1... and all other values are under 1, because modications factors are reductions of the elite base value.

Sorry if i made a stupid comment, but this value take my attention...
Redwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 10:04 AM   #4
ParaB
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwine
Hi Para B...

Many thanks for your effort !

I was tweaking this file, but only touch de default air strike probability... those planes are so anoying.

Just a question...

Where you put :

Competent Airbase Modifier=8

Was it your intention to rise up it to 8 ?

Or must it to be 0.8 ? :hmm:

Elite base has a value of 1... and all other values are under 1, because modications factors are reductions of the elite base value.

Sorry if i made a stupid comment, but this value take my attention...
Ah, thanks!

Made a mistake, the correct value is, of course 0.8. Will correct it and upload the fixed version ASAP!

EDIT: FIXED!

Anyone who has already downloaded the mod, please do so again, sorry.
Old 03-28-07, 10:07 AM   #5
Redwine
Sea Lord

Redwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 03:30 PM   #6
Soviet_Warlord
XO

Downloads: 68

Do you mind releasing a version of this mod that makes the "Betty's" fly in groups of one instead of two? It seems odd that there would be two planes flying in formation over the exact same patrol at the same time... I think singular attacks would be more realistic.

Thanks, and good job!
Old 03-28-07, 04:10 PM   #7
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

Actually, japanese planes (except "snoopers" like flyingboats and other scout/recon planes) would operate in a chutai (3) as the minimum unit in most cases. G4Ms might well have been tasked as maritime patrol aircraft, in which case they would be seen as singletons. That's worth doing some research on.
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 07:04 PM   #8
akdavis
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 0

Also, the first air contact I had during a career was a single Betty, so there are some about.
Old 03-28-07, 07:08 PM   #9
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Downloads: 6

I can't imagine the Japanese NOT using the Bettys in a secondary martime patrol capacity with the sort of endurance they had.

PD
PeriscopeDepth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 09:10 PM   #10
Soviet_Warlord
XO

Downloads: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeriscopeDepth
I can't imagine the Japanese NOT using the Bettys in a secondary martime patrol capacity with the sort of endurance they had.

PD
Yeah, Betty's are good in the game except that I'd personally rather they be flying on their own instead of in groups of two, if possible :p
Old 03-28-07, 09:30 PM   #11
clayton
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 179

Thank you! Question: Why does this mod play better in 42 than 43? I sure enjoy those 43 - 44 Gato's!
Old 03-28-07, 11:27 PM   #12
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

PD, I think you're right, thoguh a lot would have to do with what IJNAF doctrine was like.

Maritime patrol would be designed to spot the targets they thought mattered, ships. Warships in particular. Knowing that, you'd have to see what altitudes a Betty would fly for max visibility of shipping, and what that would mean in terms of detecting a sub on the surface. Their mission profiles might not have allowed too much sub-chasing. In SH they all seem to fly at low alt.
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 07:50 AM   #13
ParaB
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton
Thank you! Question: Why does this mod play better in 42 than 43? I sure enjoy those 43 - 44 Gato's!
It's a matter of realism. With this mod the effectiveness of the japanese aircraft is pretty high compared to stock SH4. After the huge losses suffered by the japanese airforce 1942-44 it would probably be a good idea to reduce their effectiveness from 1944 on to simulate vets getting killed and more and more green pilots joining the squadrons.

OTOH for gameplay purposes it might still be a good idea to just keep the "better" planes even late in the war, it's not terribly unbalancing after all.
Old 03-30-07, 12:32 PM   #14
DeePsix501
Navy Dude

Downloads: 0

Just finnished a Patrol and this mod does a whole lot better! Planes are definatly no longer like mosquitos flying everywhere. Infact, I didnt find any until I started causing trouble west of Guam. I dont know if you modded anything about what types of planes fly around, but I found first a lone search plane, then flights of 2 or 3 planes that I didnt take time to identify started to come about once a day or so.

Great Mod! Better than me constantly having aircrafted spotted all the way back to pearl.

In Memory of the USS Triton (SS-201) - May We Never Forget Those On Eternal Patrol
DeePsix501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 06:34 PM   #15
Elias999
Swabbie

You could just have several different files based on the year to take into account attrition of veteran pilots over the course of the war. People would have to manually go in and substitute the correct year file unless someone could figure out how to create a mod to do it automatically. Congrats to myself on my first post too.
Elias999 is offline   Reply With Quote