SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-10-07, 07:28 PM   #1
raduz
Engineer

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default Hydrophone hunting tutorial for GWX - D/L links here

ahoy, mates

there were many questions about the hydrophone use to intercept the enemy.

Since I play the SH3, I am fascintated by the hydrophone, too, and I used it frequently in the stock game. As you certainly know, till present day the RPM count was not possible in the GWX, due to the different sound files and lack of the chart.
So I decided to make a small "mod" allowing use of passive sonar in the GWX way we did it in the stock game.

Now, after one month of hard work, I humbly present to the community my hydrophone MERCHANT hunting tutorial including the original game propeller sound files, 4 training missions, GWX RPM chart and a detailed guide explaining some stuff that may interest you. I hope you will like it

D/L here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/20422865...orial.rar.html
or here:
http://files.filefront.com/Hydrophon.../fileinfo.html

possible solution of crashing training missions (Kudos to Pisces )

I installed your hydrophone mod and tried playing the missions that go with it. But 2 didn't work correctly and crashed SH3 GWX1.03 when loading the mission. Namely "Training Proppellers" and "Training range to target". Before the "not so long ago" message (or maybe for you the german equivalent sentance) appears the game crashes to desktop. The other work ok, as far as loading goes anyway.

When I open those 2 crashing misisons in the mission editor, and try to open the properties window for the Amnunition ships (Pyro??) the editor also crashes. All other ships do not crash. This suggest me that the issue lies in the mission itself with these ammo ships and not a bad mod or SH3/GWX install on my part.

Since you didn't mention in the readme what specific version of GWX your mod is based on I am not totally sure, but in the changelog section in the GWX 1.03 manual it says for changes done in GWX1.02 that the ammo ships got a different database number or something (became 100). In your mission files the ammo ships have number 102:

Proppeler mission opened with text editor:
Quote:
[Unit 3]
Name=Fleet Auxilary Ammunition#1
Class=AMM
Type=102
Origin=British

When I added another instance of the same ship-type to the mission (chosen from roster) and saved, I get in the text editor:

Quote:
[Unit 7]
Name=Fleet Auxilary Ammunition#1_MyTest
Class=AMM
Type=100
Origin=British

Last edited by raduz; 12-29-07 at 04:19 AM.
raduz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-07, 08:47 PM   #2
robert4260
Seaman

Downloads: 73
Default Hydrophone training

Sorry I don't mean to be obtuse, but does it work in Gwx? If so I would love to try it. Thank you for all of your hard work.
robert4260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-07, 09:25 PM   #3
Iron Budokan
Sea Lord

Downloads: 32

I don't have time to look at this now, but I will next week. It sounds like it will be helpful. Thank you!

http://kennethmarkhoover.com
Iron Budokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-07, 10:45 PM   #4
Shipwreck
Loader

Downloads: 8

Thx bro Nice work

SW
Shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-07, 11:29 PM   #5
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Downloads: 360
Default A new guy question

I down loaded the file , but I'm not sure where to put it ... thanx
Doolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-07, 12:36 AM   #6
Letum
Navy Seal

Downloads: 43

Whoo!
Now the only thing about GWX I didn't like and couldn't change has been fixed!

I can go back to counting revolutions again!

Thankyou!
Old 03-11-07, 02:03 AM   #7
raduz
Engineer

It works in GWX. The only thing it changes are the propeller sound files. Replacing GWX propeller sounds by the stock propellers allows you to use the RPM chart for ID contacts and determinate its speed.
Old 03-11-07, 02:27 AM   #8
High Voltage
Chief

Downloads: 0

Nice!!! I'll give this a shot tomorrow...
Some fifty thousand tons--by
MOHR
High Voltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-07, 04:48 PM   #9
raduz
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doolar Semler
I down loaded the file , but I'm not sure where to put it ... thanx
see readme file
Old 03-12-07, 02:23 AM   #10
Dantenoc
Captain

Downloads: 0

excellent, will give it a try
Dantenoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-07, 10:44 AM   #11
Keelbuster
Ace of the Deep

OMG YES. I've always wanted to do this!

Quick question: in the rpm chart it says that rpm values are _almost_ always rounded down, with the exception of high values like 27.9 -> 28. I don't really know what it's referring to, but I wonder: why not round fairly on all numbers? Was this done to better fit the data you collected?
Old 03-12-07, 11:35 AM   #12
raduz
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keelbuster

Quick question: in the rpm chart it says that rpm values are _almost_ always rounded down, with the exception of high values like 27.9 -> 28. I don't really know what it's referring to, but I wonder: why not round fairly on all numbers? Was this done to better fit the data you collected?
Each turn count has always been measured for 60 seconds. Often, the number of revs per minute did not represent the whole number: there was a certain amount of complete revs + part of the last one.

Example: I was measuring the turn count for one minute. Let's say at 00:58, the RPM was 27, that means 27 complete revolutions. Two seconds before one minute has passed, 28th rev started. At 01:00 this 28th rev was still not complete. It was completed at 01:02. Now how was I supposed to record this situation? I had to round the RPM either down, either up, because it was something between 27 and 28. (this is just an example, the numbers are imagined).

If there was 27.5 revs in 60 seconds, I recorded 27. The only case when I rounded up was when it was like 27.9, that means ALMOST 28 complete revs. I hope you understand what I mean
Old 03-12-07, 01:28 PM   #13
Keelbuster
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raduz
Quote:

Each turn count has always been measured for 60 seconds. Often, the number of revs per minute did not represent the whole number: there was a certain amount of complete revs + part of the last one.

Example: I was measuring the turn count for one minute. Let's say at 00:58, the RPM was 27, that means 27 complete revolutions. Two seconds before one minute has passed, 28th rev started. At 01:00 this 28th rev was still not complete. It was completed at 01:02. Now how was I supposed to record this situation? I had to round the RPM either down, either up, because it was something between 27 and 28. (this is just an example, the numbers are imagined).

If there was 27.5 revs in 60 seconds, I recorded 27. The only case when I rounded up was when it was like 27.9, that means ALMOST 28 complete revs. I hope you understand what I mean
Gotcha - precision on the estimate of the rev-count was low, and prevented fair rounding, so you tended to round down unless it was obviously very close to the next number?

Kb

P.S. Sorry to be a measuring stickler!
Old 03-12-07, 02:12 PM   #14
raduz
Engineer

Quote:
Gotcha - precision on the estimate of the rev-count was low, and prevented fair rounding, so you tended to round down unless it was obviously very close to the next number?

Kb

P.S. Sorry to be a measuring stickler!
Exactly! No need to be sorry. My English is sometimes not clear enough.
Old 03-31-07, 04:31 AM   #15
Canovaro
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 34

Thank you so much for the hard work, I have been searching for a new hydro table for GWX!

Canovaro is offline   Reply With Quote