SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-08-07, 10:03 AM   #1
VipertheSniper
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default "Auto-aiming" for weak spots in GWX screwed up??

After doing 3 patrols in GWX, I noticed that on some ships the weak-spot "auto-aiming" doesn't work right, I think it was on the ammunition freighter, where I clicked that the torpedo should run into the forward ammunition depot, and when I fired it the stern ammunition depot was hit, I haven't had the opportunity to try if this works the other way round tho, e.g. when I aim for the stern depot, that the torp runs for the forward one, but on less than 1000m without the ship changing course or speed that's too much of an error in aiming. Second ship I noticed, where auto aiming seems screwed up is the second big cargo in the recognition manual, no matter which compartment I click at, the gyro angle won't change and at a range of 400m it certainly should, when I click first to aim for the rudder, and then for the fuel tank. When I fired the torp it hit the middle of the ship... if it would've happened only once I wouldn't even have noticed, but after I've sunk 4 or 5 from this ship type, always with the same procedure, going for the fuel tank first and hoping for a secondary explosion, and the torp always landing in the middle instead of a bit more forward, without any changes of the ships speed or course before the impact, I decided to investigate this matter, and saw that I can select any compartment I want the gyro-angle will always be set for the middle of this ship.

I know the obvious solution is to aim manually, but it's just convenient to use this.

Is there anyway to play with unlimited weapon supply? Because I'd like to create a mission with all merchants available to check this out
VipertheSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-07, 10:37 AM   #2
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

Try it on one of the stock ships
It may be it doesnt work with the new modded ships
Maybe it doesnt work due to the rezoning for damage modelling

To be honest I dont think any of the GWX team knew that function existed so its not something done deliberately
If it does no longer work in GWX then its a cool side effect

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-07, 11:38 AM   #3
Boris
Sea Lord

Downloads: 41

You can auto aim certain spots? Never knew this, but I've never used noob targetting, ever.
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-07, 12:15 PM   #4
Albrecht Von Hesse
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris
You can auto aim certain spots? Never knew this, but I've never used noob targetting, ever.
It existed even at 100% realism. In the vanilla version, if you were within 500 - 1,000 meters, within approx. +/- 20 degrees of 90 degrees AoB and with a gyro angle within +/- 30 degrees (all approx; not sure of the exact values) you would see different compartments (ex. fuel bunker, engine room) appear on the ship profile in the recognition manual. You could then click on which one you wanted and the game would automatically set your torpedo data to hit there.
Old 01-08-07, 12:15 PM   #5
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:

Yeah, i used to do that when i first starting playing SH3. You have to get to within (under) 1000 meters to your target. Have Automatic TDC enabled, with the recognition manual open. You can acutally pick out where you want the torped to hit. Engine room, fuel bunker, ammo bunker, etc. Everythign except the Keel, which was represented, but didnt work right.

The sum of it is, you literally blow ships apart with 1 torpedo every time. Because a "targeted" shot like that, resulted in a critical hit every time, hence, KABOOM. I think this is what's called the AutoTDC's "silver bullet effect", or rather, all you have to do is have a torpedo hit one of those compartments regardless if you aimed for it or not. Instant critical hit, 100% every time, garunteed. Playing like this, if you have 22 torpedo,s your garunteed 22 sunken ships.

After awhile it got old, the game was too easy, and the tonnage highly unrealistc. I honestly felt embarrased for ever having posted a single "looky what i did" post having autoTDC enabled at the time.. It was my primary reason for shifting to manual targeting.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-07, 02:47 PM   #6
Carotio
Mr. Bad Wolf

Downloads: 47

Someone, not me, has investigated GWX zones.cfg file to put back this feature without altering the damage model of the ships or torpedo strength!

I haven't seen him posting this mod here, but he did at ubi forum...

Download my mods from SHMF
Follow my photography here
taler dansk, speak English, spreche Deutsch, parle fraais, forstår svenska/norsk, comprendo castellano
Carotio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-07, 03:02 PM   #7
ref
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carotio
Someone, not me, has investigated GWX zones.cfg file to put back this feature without altering the damage model of the ships or torpedo strength!

I haven't seen him posting this mod here, but he did at ubi forum...
There's no need to strip the DM to do that, the auto-targeting boxes are defined in each ship cfg file
ie :
[2DCompartments]
UnitPos=75,6,366,22
NbOfComp=6
Name1=Propulsion
Area1=79,5,29,20
Name2=Keel
Area2=151,1,200,11
Name3=Fore Ammo Bunker
Area3=346,13,16,16,
Name4=Aft Ammo Bunker
Area4=149,13,16,16
Name5=Engines Room
Area5=233,13,62,16
Name6=Fuel Bunkers
Area6=297,13,26,16

Ref
Old 01-08-07, 03:26 PM   #8
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

So basically for new ships the method employed at Ubi wont work I presume - ?
The 2d compartment coordinates are obviously not moved in new models to reflect the correct areas

Old 01-08-07, 04:11 PM   #9
VipertheSniper
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus
Quote:

Yeah, i used to do that when i first starting playing SH3. You have to get to within (under) 1000 meters to your target. Have Automatic TDC enabled, with the recognition manual open. You can acutally pick out where you want the torped to hit. Engine room, fuel bunker, ammo bunker, etc. Everythign except the Keel, which was represented, but didnt work right.

The sum of it is, you literally blow ships apart with 1 torpedo every time. Because a "targeted" shot like that, resulted in a critical hit every time, hence, KABOOM. I think this is what's called the AutoTDC's "silver bullet effect", or rather, all you have to do is have a torpedo hit one of those compartments regardless if you aimed for it or not. Instant critical hit, 100% every time, garunteed. Playing like this, if you have 22 torpedo,s your garunteed 22 sunken ships.

After awhile it got old, the game was too easy, and the tonnage highly unrealistc. I honestly felt embarrased for ever having posted a single "looky what i did" post having autoTDC enabled at the time.. It was my primary reason for shifting to manual targeting.
Well it seems a bit more complicated than that tho, on my last patrol I aimed for the rudder on one of those big cargos, I talked about above, that I already struck with my second last torpedo, so I fire my last fish for his rudder, manually, magnetic pistol, it explodes right below his rudder, yet the screw was still turning, when it probably shoul've been destroyed. the weather wasn't good, so I thought I'll force him to stop, and wait until I can finish him with my deckgun. He was sailing on merrily in the convoy and I had to let him go... So I guess there's more to it than just one hit kills, which btw, don't happen much anymore even with the original ships now in GWX
Old 01-08-07, 04:28 PM   #10
ref
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboywooly
So basically for new ships the method employed at Ubi wont work I presume - ?
The 2d compartment coordinates are obviously not moved in new models to reflect the correct areas
Exactly, as I never use auto targeting I never bother to correct the 2d compartments.
In any case as Ducimus pointed the chance of a critical hit is increased by ten (not allways evident on GWX because the critical chance in most compartments has been reduced), and also the torpedo allways hit that zone with it's maximum power, so it's a covered cheat.

Ref
Old 01-08-07, 04:31 PM   #11
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

@ Viper

Possibly
Maybe the torpedo charge was weak on that fish

Quote:
Shortly after dawn one morning, Looks sighted the Second Support Group through his periscope. As the sloops passed, he fired a torpedo in the general direction of the nearest - Starling. On the sloop's bridge, Walker spun around at an excited shout from a lookout to see the track of the torpedo approaching his stern, homing on the propellers. There was no time to increase speed or to take violent avoiding action. His mind raced.
Starling was doomed. With eyes fixed on the line of bubbles, he rapped out orders: "Hard aport....Stand by depth charges....Shallow setting....Fire." Suddenly the air was rent by two almost simultaneous shattering roars. The first came from the depth charges and the second, from the torpedo, which had gone off 5 yards from the sloop's quarterdeck. The depth charges had countermined the torpedo a second before it struck.

This was an actual photo of the depth charges being set to "shallow" as the torpedo homed in

http://www.mikekemble.com/ww2/walker.html

Old 01-08-07, 04:41 PM   #12
VipertheSniper
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
@ Viper

Possibly
Maybe the torpedo charge was weak on that fish

Quote:
Shortly after dawn one morning, Looks sighted the Second Support Group through his periscope. As the sloops passed, he fired a torpedo in the general direction of the nearest - Starling. On the sloop's bridge, Walker spun around at an excited shout from a lookout to see the track of the torpedo approaching his stern, homing on the propellers. There was no time to increase speed or to take violent avoiding action. His mind raced.
Starling was doomed. With eyes fixed on the line of bubbles, he rapped out orders: "Hard aport....Stand by depth charges....Shallow setting....Fire." Suddenly the air was rent by two almost simultaneous shattering roars. The first came from the depth charges and the second, from the torpedo, which had gone off 5 yards from the sloop's quarterdeck. The depth charges had countermined the torpedo a second before it struck.

This was an actual photo of the depth charges being set to "shallow" as the torpedo homed in

http://www.mikekemble.com/ww2/walker.html
Had the pleasure to read that already, I don't think that merchant had depth charges tho... I guess I'll make a mission with as much ships as my PC can handle and fire manually for the screws, and see if this phenomenon is connected or I just wasn't lucky.
Old 01-08-07, 04:49 PM   #13
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

lol I meant that even with the depth charge going off shallow close to the stern and the torp exploding 5m from the quarter deck there there was nothing wrong with Starling in so much that next they went flank and charged to sub
Eventually sinking it

but yes ordinarily you would expect the props damaged at least but as you said the weather wasnt good so maybe the torp exploded prem close by

Damn hope mercs dont have DC
Bad enough when they get guns

Old 01-08-07, 04:50 PM   #14
VipertheSniper
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
lol I meant that even with the depth charge going off shallow close to the stern and the torp exploding 5m from the quarter deck there there was nothing wrong with Starling in so much that next they went flank and charged to sub
Eventually sinking it

but yes ordinarily you would expect the props damaged at least but as you said the weather wasnt good so maybe the torp exploded prem close by

Damn hope mercs dont have DC
Bad enough when they get guns

Yeah I knew what you were getting at, but I've watched that torp going right where it should.
Old 01-08-07, 05:29 PM   #15
TriskettheKid
Planesman

Downloads: 13

I've noticed this problem, too, but it seems to be sporadic. I remember it working on an attack against the HMS Hood while it was in port, but not against a Whaling ship. I remember it working against a large tanker, but not against some of the other ships.

However, the damage spots do show up on the Recognition manual, so all you really have to do is just aim the crosshairs of your scope where the damage spot is. I've been able to sink most ships pretty easily this way.

I think some of the bigger ships are more armored than they need to be, though. I mean, for a test, I saved a game when I had a perfect shot lined up on a BB. I tried different scenarios in regards to what methods of hitting the BB work best.

I found that one fish was not enough to seriously harm the ship, even when hit in the ammo bunker. Yet I found that even a second shot on the same location did nothing. Or a third.

I think, and I'm sure that the GWX devs would back me up on this, that it is better to sink the bigger ships through multiple holes. Though I do think that a hit on the ammo bunker might be able to do more damage (not critical, but why would two consecutive shots on an ammo bunker spark no fires or smoke?).

But in the end, if you really want to use the damage points, just try and "shoot from the hip" by aiming your scope in accordance with your recognition manual.
TriskettheKid is offline   Reply With Quote