SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-11-10, 05:49 PM   #151
stoppro
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 493
Uploads: 0

thanks kylania. i'll try that . i will turn the bright control up cause i cant see i damn thing on the conning tower at night. most of the other problems have all ready been listed on the bugs thread.I think I will load some mods off the download page tonight. I will give the game another chance. thanks for the help
stoppro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 07:20 AM   #152
utops
Planesman

Downloads: 202

If you tired of restless deck gun crew,press A key to remove them from it. This works only with key command mod installed.
utops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-10, 03:37 AM   #153
Crécy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 316

I'm on my first mission: Sink 50,000 tons of allied shippings at the British coastline. I have not done it yet and I have only three torpedoes left (2 fwd, 1 rear). How the resupply works? I believe the last patch disabled the resupply option from the radio man. Do I have to go all the way back to Kiel?
Crécy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-10, 04:05 AM   #154
3DDevil
Watch

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubV View Post
I have a question. How to hit a ship with torpedo using automatic TDC at long distance (1800 meters and above)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You still need to line up the target and 'lead it' just like you do when it is close. So when its close you would put the number 1,2 or 3 over the ships 1,2 or 3 and then fire. Your torps range on steam can be up to 3km... so you can still fire at targets a long way way, however the accuracy will be down. Just lead the target and fire...... its better when the triangle is green...
3DDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-10, 10:26 AM   #155
szultz
Swabbie

Downloads: 28

OK, great news. I found how to have SH3/4 style auto targeting for torpedoes. I'll put it in this thread too for easier finding.

All you have to do is have the target ship in you're periscope/UZO, but do not lock on to the target. Keep ship in you're 'sights' and fire away.
It's clearly seen in the mini-map, when you have target locked and centered in periscope, torpedo trajectory on the mini-map runs trough the ships current position, when you press space to unlock target, trajectory automatically shifts to an intercept course.
It's important that you don't upgrade torpedoman's skills that affect torpedo speed. Game can't compensate for increased speed and you'll miss.
szultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-10, 11:29 AM   #156
loreed
Torpedoman

Downloads: 83
Default Thanks szultz!

I had notice that checking the manual targeting ws on no matter what you checked on the options screen. You saved me time trying to figure it out. Did you notice if having the watch officer turn the TDC on or off made any difference? I plan to experiment with that today so if I discover anything interesting I will post it.
loreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-10, 01:48 PM   #157
christoph62
Nub

Downloads: 75
Default zoom in and out

My map and TAI zoom in randomly how do I zoom out again? I have not seen the key that does this unless it's the mouse wheel in which case I don't have one, use a track ball.
christoph62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-10, 04:18 AM   #158
Akula
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 56

Where do I see how much ammunition is left for the deck gun?

Also how do you switch ammo type?

When I sailed back to Kiel I only have the options to click on Refit and Postpone, the End Patrol option cannot be clicked on. Why is that?

Thanks!
Akula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-10, 04:23 AM   #159
jwilliams
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian View Post

When I sailed back to Kiel I only have the options to click on Refit and Postpone, the End Patrol option cannot be clicked on. Why is that?

Thanks!
If you man the gun yourself, you can see and change ammo. I dont know this cna be done any other way.

Thats because Kiel is no longer your home port. check map for a blue square with a sub pic on it. That is now your home port. Would have been nice for the game to tell you this. I know!
Old 03-14-10, 04:25 AM   #160
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian View Post

You need to run down to the gun and click on it. From the "gunner view" you'll see the ammo types in the top left corner with how many shots are in each.

You change ammo types by clicking on the other ammo icon. There's three, but only two (AP and HE) work.

During your patrol your base changed to Wilhemshaven. Look for the diamond submarine base icon to see where you can end your patrol.

Thanks!

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-10, 01:55 PM   #161
kylania
Silent Hunter

How To Read Latitude and Longitude

Old 03-14-10, 02:21 PM   #162
Rickster1
Chief

Downloads: 508
Default sending messages to bdu

I cannot see how to send nessages to bdu like sh3 saying status for example and I do not see the atena working on the conning tower, what actually does the wireless man do !!
Rickster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 01:32 AM   #163
jmr
Commander

Downloads: 62

Dear god, is there an auto Kiel canal plot thingy like there is in GWX 3 for getting through that damn thing?
jmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 01:36 AM   #164
kylania
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr View Post
Dear god, is there an auto Kiel canal plot thingy like there is in GWX 3 for getting through that damn thing?
I wish! First three patrols I did it manually, 128x seems safe enough with enough waypoints, but for the latest one I just went north and around. You're not in Kiel as long as we were in SH3, so it's all good.

Old 03-15-10, 01:59 AM   #165
kylania
Silent Hunter

Last edited by kylania; 03-15-10 at 07:00 PM.