SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-14-17, 07:54 AM   #4216
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

That's an odd sound propbeanie, and s7rikeback....almost like compressed air escaping.

However, I've never encountered it. I've started many new Campaign "starts" to confirm equipment/upgrades lately, for all of the possible years.....never heard that before.

I've also got my recent Single Mission with the Yubari for checking hydrophone use, its not in it either. But I'll admit, I've not tried the other Single Missions as you did in the video. I'll download the latest FOTRSU when RR puts it up with the Asashio Skin Fix, but that sound isn't on my computer, that I can tell for now?!? I'll have to do more looking to see if I can get it.

I'm on my "Day of Duty" (babysitting the grandkids), so I'll not be able to run a complete check until later this evening. But, its odd I've not run into it before?

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-17, 08:00 AM   #4217
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
It's uploaded to the Subsim FTP site and s7rikeback came out with the Asashio Skin Fix after I did it. Taking it down, adding in the skin fix and putting it back up!
Sorry about that RR.
Old 03-14-17, 08:45 AM   #4218
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
That's an odd sound propbeanie, and s7rikeback....almost like compressed air escaping.

However, I've never encountered it. I've started many new Campaign "starts" to confirm equipment/upgrades lately, for all of the possible years.....never heard that before.

I've also got my recent Single Mission with the Yubari for checking hydrophone use, its not in it either. But I'll admit, I've not tried the other Single Missions as you did in the video. I'll download the latest FOTRSU when RR puts it up with the Asashio Skin Fix, but that sound isn't on my computer, that I can tell for now?!? I'll have to do more looking to see if I can get it.

I'm on my "Day of Duty" (babysitting the grandkids), so I'll not be able to run a complete check until later this evening. But, its odd I've not run into it before?
Oooohhh, "Call of Duty: Day of DooDee"... that can be a tough one if they're younger, but if able to Throne themselves, and hopefully wipe, nuttin too it... Spoil 'em for a while, teach 'em some new sailor talk, like "Emergency DIVE! EMERGENCY ~DIVE~!!!" and other things like that, send 'em home...

I made that Single Mission just to put myself close enough to Truk. That's where "The New Sound" is found... I've got another vid I'm trying to edit for brevity and illustration. If I put my boat outside the 10' mark East of the whole degree just East of Truk (my brain is bubbling up, trying to fahrt, and I can't remember the number), whether surfaced or submerged, I don't get the sound. If I put the boat just West of that 10' mark, I get the sound, whether surfaced or submerged. If I travel West from that mark East of the 10' mark, I can get the sound to "sound-off", but I haven't figured out the circumstances yet. I tried the old-reliable "Crash Dive!", but that's apparently not it this time. I got it to do it with a regular dive the first time through, but it wouldn't do that the 2nd time, so I'm "studying the film", trying to see what I did differently... Hopefully by noon, I'll have the video up, and let everybody else see if they can see what I can't... The date for this single mission Capn is April 27, 1943, but others have gotten the sound on other dates too, and they all seem to have something to do with the proximity to Truk. What's going on in the area, don't know yet. I've eliminated traffic in the area, changed mods, etc., but the only move that seems to make a difference is the distance from Truk - thus far, that is. Thing is, it doesn't always do the sound...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-17, 10:04 AM   #4219
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

S7rikeback, NEVER apologize for an inconvenient addition. My goal is to be up to date, regardless and texture fixes are important.

Attention Everybody!

Fall of the Rising Sun v0.56 PublicBeta EN
is now up in the Subsim download area as a public beta, available to everybody! This includes s7rikeback's Asashio fix. Yeeeee Hawwww!

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 03-14-17 at 12:18 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-17, 11:35 AM   #4220
CapnScurvy
Admiral

So, this sound is in that one particular mission you made? Which is near the Truk Island. Have you made another to see if you still get it?

AND, this sound is heard by others when playing the Campaign game around Truk? Especially if you've been saving your game? Guess I need to make a trip that way.

The one thing I might suggest, lets fix that bottleneck of too many ships hanging around Truk. Get the layers to cut back on their spawning on top of each other; get rid of most of the ones that don't exit the game on last way point. Just do a general overhaul of the Truk area, then see what you've got? It couldn't hurt...we need to do it anyway. This just might clear up the "roar" when things get better with easier route flow and stopping the double spawns on top of each other.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 03-14-17, 01:04 PM   #4221
propbeanie

Yes, you can get the sound in any of several missions / scenarios / campaign, but it's not consistent... That's the problem. I think it's something to do with the spawning, but I dunno... We've have five people report it thus far, some of us multiple times each...

Besides eliminating the "Stop-and-Go" use in the Truk Lagoon, and cutting back on the spawn rates, I'm also attempting to re-route the traffic somewhat into "lanes", if you will, so there is as little path-crossing as possible in there. I'm into the 42b layer today, so in a couple days, we'll have something to test. I have not tried to find how many uses of the "Stop-and-Go" technique there are in the whole campaign yet though, if someone wants to search on speeds less than 1.0, especially those "0.000001" settings... If anybody wants a RegEx for NP++ or 010, let me know, or wait a couple days and I'll get to it...

Old 03-14-17, 01:56 PM   #4222
DicheBach
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

Just want to chime in and say: this mod is SO good!

I get some strange sound glitches (I'm still using 0.53) and I also get this strange thing where . . . when I reload an old save after dying(?) my dials are covered by white squares? Maybe that is a feature?

I noticed Robbins had some slightly different sound settings that I've used so let me adjust there before I try to make a "bug" report about the sound glitches I experience (which are not exactly the same as the roar).
Old 03-14-17, 03:53 PM   #4223
propbeanie

Make use of the MultiSH there DicheBach, if you're doing more than one mod, and be sure your save folder is cleared before you play a new version of the mod. Use RR's SH4CMS, and read CapnScurvy's write-up on the LAA app

Old 03-14-17, 04:00 PM   #4224
propbeanie

According to the ToobYu thingie CapnScurvy, my next little video should be up within the hour at:

I've tried all sorts of ways to get the sound, or to NOT get the sound, and so far, the only slightly common variable when I'm on the East side of Truk is that I do not get the sound if I'm East of 152°10'E Longitude. If I'm West of that line, I am able to get the sound much easier. However, being on the surface, and driving West toward that line, it didn't kick in the one time until I went to periscope depth. However, I could NOT get it to do that again... I even tried crash diving, TC all the way up, etc... If I'm submerged and start West of 152°10'E, then I will get The New Sound almost every time at the very start of a mission. My next set of tries, if I don't give up before long, is to try using all the different subs... For now though, I'm back to editing the different layer files, and then we'll pass those out for review...

Old 03-14-17, 06:08 PM   #4225
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Video is marked private!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-17, 06:40 PM   #4226
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I'm into the 42b layer today,.........if someone wants to search on speeds less than 1.0, especially those "0.000001" settings...
I'll do it......on the 42b layer, right? What do you want to set them to? And why is a ship travelling at 1kt anyway?

Quote:
Old 03-14-17, 09:19 PM   #4227
Berserker
Aggressive skipper

Downloads: 2166
Uploads: 0
Default Flag placement

Running fortes .56..Aren't the flags for American subs placed behind the conning tower when at sea?? Should be fixed...
Old 03-14-17, 09:42 PM   #4228
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Video is marked private!
Naw, the shtinking power went off at our backwoods cabin again... shtinking "power" company... anyway, we're back "Live!" now, and it finished uploading now... 24° outside, and the ppwer goes off... couldn't have happened a couple days ago when it was 60°?? Oh, wait - it DID!!!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
I'll do it......on the 42b layer, right? What do you want to set them to? And why is a ship travelling at 1kt anyway?
I'm just curious how many there are in each of the files. Usually speaking, no matter the "cruising" speed of a group, you'll see a 3, then 2 then 1 (sometimes, they skip some intermediate speeds) then two waypoints in close together, and one will be 0.001 and the other like 0.0001 or 0.00001, with some going all the way to 0.000001, but I got rid of most of those when I did a "replace" back when, and got rid of a zero out of each of those speeds. The idea behind that "Stop-and-Go" technique is to simulate a harbor stop for loading / unloading. However, if you've got 20 vessels in single file, and they're strung through a harbor like that... traffic jam! What we'd set them to, kind of depends upon where they are, but inside the Truk Lagoon, I'm not going below 3 knots. We'll see what they look like when they go through later. From my first run-through with them set up higher, the groups still slow way down in some areas, and I'm thinking it's because of the collision detection, like what happens at Pearl Harbor, where they "avoid" a perceived collision that doesn't exist, and then start to backing up, right into their nearest neighbor, of course...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Wolverine View Post
Running fortes .56..Aren't the flags for American subs placed behind the conning tower when at sea?? Should be fixed...
Fall of the Rising Sun has always had the flags at the rear, anatomically correct or not. Maybe at some point someone might want to do a mod for that...

Old 03-15-17, 07:44 AM   #4229
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Propbeanie, I've watched your latest video.

Before I go into PM mode with you guys, what is your depth under keel? Anyway of taking a look at your Keel Depth just as you hear the sound?

==========

For now I'll set the lowest speed to 3kts

Quote:
Old 03-15-17, 08:02 AM   #4230
propbeanie

Thousands, Capn. I'm in the "deep" deep area. Notice the Longitude markings. That 152°10'E seems to be key. If I'm East of that mark, no sound. If I'm West of that mark, I can get The New Sound. I just haven't figured out what the trigger is, nor what the sound is, other than it's something in the Sound folder... My ejju-mah-kate-idd guess is that it's an explosion sound's "tail", like a reverb tail, like we're hearing just the last second or two of the sound, but I dunno. The original "The Sound" was part of the original "Crash Dive" sound that got "stuck" (descriptive, scientific term) in the audio engine, and could only escape when the sound system was re-set with a TC change. As you see in that video, I went up to 16x at the most in TC, but for whatever the reason, upon reaching periscope depth, it triggered the sound. Startled me so much that I hit the keyboard to get that Captain's report... Do you want me to send you the mission file?