SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-24-10, 09:18 PM   #16
maillemaker
Sea Lord

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 0

It works for me, but I have a serious problem.

I am Windows 7 64bit, SH3 1.4b + GWX3.0

I altered the config file so that my resolution is 1920 x 1080. The game looks absolutely fantastic. It now stretches the screens to my full 23" widescreen display, and the graphics are just breathtaking in detail.

HOWEVER, I have a serious problem.

Whenever I go into the periscope or uzo, and click on the scope so as to be able to turn the periscope left or right, WHEN I CLICK AGAIN TO COME OUT OF TURNING THE SCOPE THE TORPEDO FIRE BUTTON IS ACTIVATED, LAUNCHING A TORPEDO!

I have uninstalled all other mods and I still have this behavior. I also notice some of the function keys past F7 are erratic.

What would cause this?

Steve
maillemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10, 01:41 AM   #17
Darkbluesky
Sparky

Downloads: 61

I am using a GTX285 with the last nvidia drivers 197.13. Has someone my same configuration and has succeed to run it a high resolution?

I don't know what to do, and I installed my OS very recently, it is fresh and nice, so I don't think that a reinstall could help.

Thanks for any help to solve this problem
Darkbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10, 01:49 AM   #18
YukonJack_AK
Soundman

Downloads: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
It works for me, but I have a serious problem.

I am Windows 7 64bit, SH3 1.4b + GWX3.0

I altered the config file so that my resolution is 1920 x 1080. The game looks absolutely fantastic. It now stretches the screens to my full 23" widescreen display, and the graphics are just breathtaking in detail.

HOWEVER, I have a serious problem.

Whenever I go into the periscope or uzo, and click on the scope so as to be able to turn the periscope left or right, WHEN I CLICK AGAIN TO COME OUT OF TURNING THE SCOPE THE TORPEDO FIRE BUTTON IS ACTIVATED, LAUNCHING A TORPEDO!

I have uninstalled all other mods and I still have this behavior. I also notice some of the function keys past F7 are erratic.

What would cause this?

Steve
Had the same problem as I too have a 23" monitor that natively supports 1920x1080. Everytime I clicked off the scope, It would fire a fish. Not sure why, but the game "centers" the mouse over a specific location of the GUI when you're in "free-look" at the scope. And due where it centers the mouse, when you click it happens to be right on top of the Fire Button. Thats why I set my resolution back to 1440x900... Game still looks fantastic and no more accidental launches.

GWX3.0 - SH3Commander - Thomsen's Sounds Pack - Manos Env Pro - Hitman's Optics - RB's UBoat Flags - Waterstream & Exhaust CombiMOD - Torpedo Damage Final - DiD
AMD Phenom II x6, 16GB DDR3, 2x NVidia GTX460 1GB, WIN7 64bit
YukonJack_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10, 08:37 AM   #19
Darkbluesky
Sparky

I have tested by changing the main.cfg in game folder and in My Documents, putting the same resolution than in d3d9.cfg. No luck and no changes.

On the other hand the widescreen d3d9.dll works nicely at any resolution, only that it doesn't scale the hud, and I wanted to use OLC's or the MaGUI 2+...

Nobody has an idea or suggestion, please?

EDIT: To the people here that are lucky enough to enjoy in HiRes, could tell me please which version of DX9 do you have installed. I allowed the SH3 install to do its thing, but just in case...

Last edited by Darkbluesky; 03-25-10 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-25-10, 01:21 PM   #20
maillemaker
Sea Lord

Quote:
Had the same problem as I too have a 23" monitor that natively supports 1920x1080. Everytime I clicked off the scope, It would fire a fish. Not sure why, but the game "centers" the mouse over a specific location of the GUI when you're in "free-look" at the scope. And due where it centers the mouse, when you click it happens to be right on top of the Fire Button. Thats why I set my resolution back to 1440x900... Game still looks fantastic and no more accidental launches.
Thanks for the tip, Yukon Jack!

Another possibility is to install Hitman's Optics, which re-positions all the fire control controls, and maybe the fire button will be in a different place! The only thing I don't like about Hitman's Optics is it goes back to 6X magnification instead of 10X.

I don't know what version of DX9 I'm running, darkbluesky. How can you find out?

Steve
Old 03-25-10, 02:51 PM   #21
Fozzy22
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 23

Hi i've just added this to my SH3 directory but i'm unsure as how to change the main.cfg to have monitor settings for 1440x900. Is there a guide somewhere?
Fozzy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10, 04:10 PM   #22
maillemaker
Sea Lord

Yes, in the download section on subsim it describes what to do.

It is not, however, included in the readme for the mod!!!

As I remember from last night you just edit the config file (can't remember what it was called) and enter in whatever resolution you want. It's obvious what the entries are to edit.

There are 4 files to copy into your SH3 directory. That is included in the readme file.

Steve
Old 03-25-10, 04:50 PM   #23
Paul Riley
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 157

Simply browse to Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 3 and look for a file that is called .cfg and open it.Then look for an entry that alters resolution,as maillemaker mentioned this entry should be obvious as the current resolution will be displayed next to it,then edit the file to your desired resolution,then at the top of the screen click 'file' then 'save' then 'save as' ,then overwrite it,and then close the edit screen.
This then should enable the resolution you want.

NOTE: always have a backup of your original .cfg file,just in case.And do this with any other file you decide to edit in the future.

Current Patrol: Captain Heinz Janning, 1st Flotilla, type IIA
Heading through the Skagerrak enroute to AN21 (Shetland)
Paul Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-10, 01:41 AM   #24
YukonJack_AK
Soundman

Quote:
Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
The only thing I don't like about Hitman's Optics is it goes back to 6X magnification instead of 10X.

Steve
Same here but I was able to get the attack periscope zoom level back to 10x... I just can't remember exactly what I did. I'm looking now and will let you know when I figure it out

GWX3.0 - SH3Commander - Thomsen's Sounds Pack - Manos Env Pro - Hitman's Optics - RB's UBoat Flags - Waterstream & Exhaust CombiMOD - Torpedo Damage Final - DiD
Old 03-26-10, 02:11 AM   #25
YukonJack_AK
Soundman

Now I remember! I removed the cameras.dat file and got the 10x zoom back... I play with MEP and with a 20km environment so it helps to have a long lens!

Old 03-26-10, 03:54 AM   #26
Darkbluesky
Sparky

I have uninstalled SH3 and reinstalled in compatibility mode XP, and it does-not-work. I have tested with stock+1.4b+no_dvd_thing.

I have also reinstalled the DX9 that comes with SH3 disc, no luck. Tested with DX9 from july 2008, no success.

Always the same error. I use the last nvidia drivers.

Widescreen fix works ok, though. A pity that it has not an option to scale the 2D screens...
Old 03-26-10, 10:40 AM   #27
maillemaker
Sea Lord

I changed my resolution to 1440x900 as YukonJack suggested and it works fine - now when you exit the periscope/uzo it does not fire a torpedo.

I think I'm going to install some of the alternative UZO/periscope torpedo control mods so that the fire button is moved so I can go back to 1920 x 1080.

Darkblue, I don't know what your problem is. I am running Windows 7 64bit Professional, Core i7-930 on an Asus P6T SE motherboard. I installed SH3 in its default folder (it went in the x86 program files folder), and installed GWX3 using the default options also.

My graphics card is an Nvidia GeForce 5500 with 1GB of ram. I used the drivers that came on the CD with it.

The hi-res mod works fine for me. Only problem is it crashes to desktop if I hit print-screen to take a screen shot.

Last night I torpedoed my first enemy submarine ever and hit print-screen to try and get a screen shot and the game crashed.

Steve
Old 03-27-10, 10:06 AM   #28
Darkbluesky
Sparky

I tested it in Windows7 32 bits, and it does not work neither ! And the drivers were not the last ones, they are the previous ones. So now, I am really lost.

Anout the AA, the AA only works using the HiRes fix? I have tried in NV control panel and also using nhancer and it does not work (of course without the HiRes fix, which is the main problem currently).
Old 03-28-10, 02:53 AM   #29
YukonJack_AK
Soundman

I run two installations - one with and one without the resfix (for some reasons the one WITH the Resfix has been randomly CTD lately and I can't figure it out... worked fine for ages... maybe a MOD issue ) and I run BOTH with Antialaising set at 8xQ in the NVidia Control Panel. I'm running a Galaxy GeForce 9800GT 1GB with the 196.21 series drivers. Funny though - the game will not work at AA settings higher than 2x unless you choose 8xQ or 16xQ. Don't remember what the "Q" stands for but it works

@Darkbluesky - PM me and I can send you my NVidia Settings from the Control Panel for SH3. Maybe it can help...

Old 03-29-10, 08:33 AM   #30
downunder
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 10

Oh im so glad i read this thread, I just applied the Hi Res Fix and my god what a difference. Who needs SH5 with their DRM, my SH3 is like looking at a new game.

May your hatches be tight, and your smokes dry.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote