SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-08-14, 06:13 PM   #16
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300
Uploads: 0

I'm not offended. Don't worry.

I guess I didn't really understand what you meant with that terrain file. I still don't know what that file is supposed to do. [EDIT: Nevermind, land contours ] But do understand that you don't get filled in land on the map. And that, yes, doesn't add up.

I didn't do anything special to get it working. I think I never had the TatukGIS viewer on this instance of Windows 7 OS on my computer before. So doubt that it is due to lingering settings from previous usage. Even then, I can't remember doing anything special to it.

After finding this thread I assembled the pack mentioned in my first post up here. Just combine the files I still had on my drive into 1 7zip file. I noticed you had problems with the latest TatukGIS viewer so I decided I had to test it on my own. So I registered and downloaded and installed the latest viewer. (this might be it, as usually I do not install applications in Program Files, but assign my own path outside of it) Then I tried to open those SH4 maps mentioned before (already had them on my disk somewhere) to check, and noticed they too opened nicely. So then I reinstalled SH3Gen v0.82. (didn't have that upto now, or this: again not in Program Files) Then ran SH3Gen and set the path to the Silent Hunter folder in the menu Settings/General. Then made it select my latest SH3 savegame ( .. november 2011), and let it generate the intel data. And eventually it asks if the map should be exported for the the Tatukgis Viewer. On mine it shows a checkmark to automaticaly launch Tatukgis. And pressing the Export button does this. Hence my screenshot above.

So, other than the "Program Files"-routine for both TatukGIS and SH3Gen I can't imagine what might go wrong on your end.

That said, I did notice a readme.txt in the map folder SH3Gen/User Data/Commandername/savegamename that mentions the "terrain.gml" file. But nothing that really helps I think. As I didn't have to.

Quote:
Note on the location of terrain.gml and disk space
--------------------------------------------------

Every data folder holds a copy terrain.gml, the complete terrain data, and therefore uses an extra 36.5 Mb. There is sound reason to do so, however, as this way the terrain will always be available, even if the user moves the data folder or uninstalls Sh3Gen.

If you understand how the GIS manages layers it's better to reference the default instance of terrain.gml in the Sh3Gen Tracking Room folder or another one in the User Data folder.

I will soon offer instructions and help how this can be done easily. I am not doing it now, however. Suffice to say that it can be done from within the viewer.

Last edited by Pisces; 03-08-14 at 06:29 PM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 08:35 PM   #17
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Have always had SH3Gen in in its own folder on the root. Installed TatukGIS Viewer v4.13.1.10902 to a folder on the root. No joy. As long as I can use SH3Gen with v1.8.6.341, I'm happy, so I won't pursue this matter any further right now.

BTW, v1.8.6.341 was always installed in Program Files (x86) and works fine from there.

Oh, yeah, and I wasn't worried.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 09:11 PM   #18
WallysWorld
Swabbie

Downloads: 48

I downloaded the SH3Gen version that Pisces posted and it does create the terrain.shp files. I then installed TatukGIS version 2.9.5037 (I didn't want to register for the newest version) and the tracking room map loads fine with the terrain showing.

Many thanks for posting that link to the second version of Sh3Gen 0.8.2, Pisces.
WallysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-14, 04:04 PM   #19
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
... I'm happy, so I won't pursue this matter any further right now....
I noticed the terrain can be disabled with a checkmark in the Legend window that opens with the map. Maybe you accidentaly disabled something. (or wasn't enabled by default)
Old 03-09-14, 06:53 PM   #20
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Sound suggestion, except that the terrain checkbox does not appear when I use v4.13.1.10709. (And I did scroll to the full extent of the legend menu just to be sure.) The check box, and the terrain, are there in v1.8.6.341.

Tried to add a new layer containing the terrain.gml. V4.13.1.10709 says it's an unrecognised format.

The map viewer works in the older version. Onkle Karl says that, since my boat is ready, I should quit messing around and get back to sea. And he signs my time sheet.
Old 03-09-14, 07:37 PM   #21
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Ofcourse. This not working for you is weird though.
Old 03-09-14, 08:40 PM   #22
ohmygollygosh
Watch

Downloads: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
Ofcourse. This not working for you is weird though.
It probably seem weird because your copy of sh3gen version 0.82 is different to the 0.82 in the download section. It is the same program name, with same version number but it is different.

Your version which you shared in post 13 handles .shp (shape) files which the newer TatukGis viewers demand.

The sh3gen 0.82 which BigWalleye and myself have still create .gml (geographical mark up language) files. This file type stopped being supported by TatukGis after version 1.8.6.341

I remember Global Explorer explained in a post somewhere that he didn't give his program a new version number because he didn't change the main executable but some support files.

Anyway, I would like to thank you Pisces because you have completely solved my problem. Unlike BigWalleye I prefer to use the lastest viewer with this mod. Which thanks to you I now can.
ohmygollygosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-14, 09:42 PM   #23
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

<graphic of light bulb lighting>

Ohmygollygosh, score another one!
Old 01-20-15, 02:59 PM   #24
Nerazzurri
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 44

Elementary question - the contacts generated on the map, are those where ships are/possibly are when the map is generated or where a ship could be located at some point in the near future??