SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-12-18, 06:50 PM   #1
DoctorWho4
Swabbie

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Default like SH3 I am having issues with SH4

Since I was having issues with SH3 I decided to reinstall SH4 Gold Edition (disk version, v1.5). Like SH3 I can do tutorial and single missions but when I click start for campaign nothing happens. Nothing starts and I have to esc back to the main menu. As well, if I click on options then graphics it totally freezes and locks and I have to open up task manager to shut it down. I seem to not be having much luck lol.

Doc
DoctorWho4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-18, 07:19 PM   #2
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWho4 View Post
Since I was having issues with SH3 I decided to reinstall SH4 Gold Edition (disk version, v1.5). Like SH3 I can do tutorial and single missions but when I click start for campaign nothing happens. Nothing starts and I have to esc back to the main menu. As well, if I click on options then graphics it totally freezes and locks and I have to open up task manager to shut it down. I seem to not be having much luck lol.

Doc

Welcome to SubSim, DoctorWho4. Happy to have you with us.

Please list your computer specs and OS. You already have v1.5 and since you can play single missions you should have DX 9.0c installed. Do you have any other mods installed? There are many things that can affect why you're unable to get the career mode working, let's start by giving us some info about your computer system and where you have SH4 installed.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-18, 07:33 PM   #3
DoctorWho4
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
Welcome to SubSim, DoctorWho4. Happy to have you with us.

Please list your computer specs and OS. You already have v1.5 and since you can play single missions you should have DX 9.0c installed. Do you have any other mods installed? There are many things that can affect why you're unable to get the career mode working, let's start by giving us some info about your computer system and where you have SH4 installed.
I have an Intel quad core i7-6700k @ 4 ghz, 16 gb ram, Windows 10 Home ver. 1803 os build 17134.165 nvidia gtx 970. I installed the game to C:\SilentHunterWolvesofthePacific. I have no mods installed at this point. Thanks.

Michael
Old 08-12-18, 07:37 PM   #4
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
I have an Intel quad core i7-6700k @ 4 ghz, 16 gb ram, Windows 10 Home ver. 1803 os build 17134.165 nvidia gtx 970. I installed the game to C:\SilentHunterWolvesofthePacific. I have no mods installed at this point. Thanks.

Michael

Well, your computer specs are more than adequate to run SH4, can't see anything as to why your having problems. Others will be along to offer more advice, we've got a great bunch of guys here, always willing to lend a hand.

I used to have a very similar setup to run SH4 before I built my AMD computer. SH4 ran great. Hang in there someone should have an answer for you.

Old 08-12-18, 07:42 PM   #5
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

One quick question, you are using the latest Nvidia drivers, correct?

Old 08-12-18, 07:49 PM   #6
DoctorWho4
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
One quick question, you are using the latest Nvidia drivers, correct?
Yep 398.82 dated Aug 1/18.
Old 08-12-18, 07:52 PM   #7
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Yep 398.82 dated Aug 1/18.

Thought so.

Old 08-12-18, 08:44 PM   #8
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

If you had the installed previously, there will be an old Save folder that should be deleted. You should find it in the path "C:\Users \YourName \Documents \SH4" ("My Documents" in 10??). You can either delete everything below it, or delete the whole SH4 folder. The game will recreate it again when you start SH4.exe the next time. There might be something in there messing with your current graphics card. If the Submarine School and the Quick Missions work, you should be good to go... Let us know!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-18, 09:09 PM   #9
DoctorWho4
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
If you had the installed previously, there will be an old Save folder that should be deleted. You should find it in the path "C:\Users \YourName \Documents \SH4" ("My Documents" in 10??). You can either delete everything below it, or delete the whole SH4 folder. The game will recreate it again when you start SH4.exe the next time. There might be something in there messing with your current graphics card. If the Submarine School and the Quick Missions work, you should be good to go... Let us know!
I deleted the whole folder. Same issue....get into the campaign...click start..nothing. When clicking on graphics under options...total freeze. Confusing and frustrating lol.
Old 08-13-18, 08:48 AM   #10
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
I deleted the whole folder. Same issue....get into the campaign...click start..nothing. When clicking on graphics under options...total freeze. Confusing and frustrating lol.
I'm not sure if it's necessary when running under Win10 (I have Win7 Pro) but have you run the Large Address Aware utility? It will allow the game to exceed the built in 2g limit on memory use. That has been a major problem for many users. Even if that is not your issue, running LAA will not have an adverse effect on your system or the game.

And welcome aboard!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-18, 06:00 PM   #11
DoctorWho4
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
I'm not sure if it's necessary when running under Win10 (I have Win7 Pro) but have you run the Large Address Aware utility? It will allow the game to exceed the built in 2g limit on memory use. That has been a major problem for many users. Even if that is not your issue, running LAA will not have an adverse effect on your system or the game.

And welcome aboard!
Yep I ran it. Still the same issue...nothing happens when I click start in the uboat campaign. I have tried to start at the dock and at sea...neither worked.

Doc
Old 08-13-18, 08:21 PM   #12
propbeanie

OK, hang on... you can get to the part where they have given you your orders, and you're going to start on the boat, either at the dock (sub tender) or outside the harbor? If so, you've given your skipper a name, you've chosen a start date, and the base, and the boat?...

Old 08-13-18, 08:46 PM   #13
DoctorWho4
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
OK, hang on... you can get to the part where they have given you your orders, and you're going to start on the boat, either at the dock (sub tender) or outside the harbor? If so, you've given your skipper a name, you've chosen a start date, and the base, and the boat?...
Yep exactly. I can do it for both the American and Uboat missions...but when the time comes to start either at the tender or in the harbor nothing happens. I click start and zip. Have to esc back to main menu.
Old 08-13-18, 10:57 PM   #14
propbeanie

Ok, it takes a bit for it to load sometimes, but what are your computer specs? Such as what do you have for a computer make / model, or a cpu? How much memory is in it, and which Operating System are you using? Do you know what video card you are using, or is it an onboard type, included on the motherboard of the computer?

Old 08-13-18, 11:45 PM   #15
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1333

Quote:
Yep I ran it. Still the same issue...nothing happens when I click start in the uboat campaign. I have tried to start at the dock and at sea...neither worked.

Doc
Run sh4.exe in compatibility Mod windows 7 ?