SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-06, 05:44 PM   #31
Boris
Sea Lord

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 0

No, you cannot use both together, there was once a mod that combined the two but that has since been abandonned.
The different approach to realism that each has, means that one will break features of the other.

I would tell you what I think is different between the two mods, but this would only cause dispute.
GW struggled for some time after it's release becasue some were quick to label it a graphics and sound mod, and NYGM was often percieved to be the realistic alternative.

Of course this wasn't true, as GW was (and is) also a realism mod, but one that incorporated a lot of visual and audio content as well for better immersiveness.

In the end people always generally agreed that the two mods had different, but both valid approaches to realism or historical accuracy... and the advice given: try both and see which one you like.

The next GW release, while I'm not going to reveal any content, I can assure you pushes the realism envelope much further, while keeping the game playable. I get the impression from what the team has done so far, that the improvement between GW 1.1 and GWX will be almost as great as that between GW 1.1 and Stock SH3. Only the final product will tell though.

Try both and pick you're favourite, but be sure to try GWX when it's released!
Old 08-31-06, 05:41 PM   #32
Notewire
Soundman

Downloads: 75
Default Sinking Subs

Does anybody know how to make your Sub not a hummingbird, but without installing the whole NYGM mod?
Old 09-01-06, 04:50 PM   #33
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzmoe
Oh puhlease, stop it!!!
No kidding, Stiebler makes a post and someone has to quibble with what he is trying to say

To all: don't hijack the man's thread.

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 09-01-06 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-04-06, 10:23 PM   #34
Notewire
Soundman

Downloads: 75

Thanks, Teddy Bar, for coming back with a no hummingbird mod - appreciate the help - outstanding modding!!!
Old 09-04-06, 11:27 PM   #35
Der Teddy Bar
Blade Master

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notewire
Thanks, Teddy Bar, for coming back with a no hummingbird mod - appreciate the help - outstanding modding!!!
No problems mate
Old 09-05-06, 10:53 AM   #36
Laffertytig
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 110

ive seen the phrase "imminent release" been used over the last fortnight with regards to your excellent mod. how close r we now, days or weeks?
Old 09-05-06, 03:56 PM   #37
Der Teddy Bar
Blade Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laffertytig
ive seen the phrase "imminent release" been used over the last fortnight with regards to your excellent mod. how close r we now, days or weeks?
We held the release back at the last minute to make a few changes. We expect a release next week.
Old 09-05-06, 10:57 PM   #38
The Noob
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Teddy Bar
Quote:
We held the release back at the last minute to make a few changes. We expect a release next week.
Very Good. How Big will the download be, do you have any idea?
Old 09-06-06, 01:51 AM   #39
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Quote:

PD
Old 09-06-06, 02:54 AM   #40
poor sailor
XO

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noob
Quote:
Quote:
Very Good. How Big will the download be, do you have any idea?
Yes, the same question I have in another thread, and still wait for answer.
Old 09-06-06, 11:01 AM   #41
Kruger
Commander

Downloads: 21

Where can I download please NYGM, since the downloads section on Subsim seems to be down ?
Old 09-06-06, 11:46 AM   #42
poor sailor
XO

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruger
Where can I download please NYGM, since the downloads section on Subsim seems to be down ?
http://www.wolvesatwar.org/nygm/
Old 09-07-06, 06:42 AM   #43
Immacolata
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Quote:
Such teases. Like waving a pair of knickers in front of a ravenous sailor after 5 weeks below decks in a tin can.
Old 09-09-06, 06:31 PM   #44
pampanito
Mate

Downloads: 12

Hello,
I have been out of contact with SH3 for 8 months (RUb1.45 was the last I used), now on return after upgrading my PC, I see so much things changed.
I am delighted to see these Super-Mods being developed by two teams, I have just downloaded GW and I hope NYGM will finish downloading in two more hours.

But I'm not so much delighted to find this cross-fire of messages, it's sad to see two 'sides', and still sadder because I see well-known and respectable names on both trenches. I can only hope that both teams are ultimately doomed to co-existence and mutual understanding.

And what happened with Real Uboat? There was much enthusiasm around it when I last played SH3. Fortunately I see much of it has survived into one or another of the new Super-Mods (Improved Convoys was a favourite of mine). Was RUb dumped because of compatibility issues? Is everyone now using the new Super-Mods (or personalizing them)?

Is someone wishing, after testing BOTH packs, to tell me the long-term differences I will find doing a career with GW or NYGM? More convoy contacts with one or the other? More single ships sunk? More aircraft attacks? If someone changed from one pack to the other, what was the decisive factor?
And please, please, don't anyone just tell 'mine is better', I know BOTH must be good and hard-worked.

Thanks to everyone (in both trenches!).
Old 09-10-06, 02:32 AM   #45
Immacolata
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 3

Well you summed it up yourself. Each mod has a few interesting features that is not found in the other mod. The wolves mod also has a lot of visual and aural improvements, so if you like that why not start with that?

As for trench digging, I believe Teddy bär just released a nygm mod componenet for the wolves mod, so at least there doesn't seem to be grudges held in that direction.
Closed Thread