SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-30-08, 01:54 PM   #16
icecold
Gunner

Downloads: 84
Uploads: 0

I have downloaded everything from windows update... says there are no available updates.

I recently bought a new powersupply pack due to my old going bust. However it is a higher wattage. Also all my equipment is secured correctly and is regulary cleaned. As for over heating... i have MANY fans... and i have recently made a few holes in my case with grills over the top to increase air flow and prevent dust intake.

I doubt this has anything to do with it... im sure its software related... Biggest disaster to happen to me atm... SH4 is one of my favourate games... and i cant play it even though i could once upon a time.
icecold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 08:04 PM   #17
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

What sound card ?
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 08:18 PM   #18
icecold
Gunner

HDA XPLOSION 7.1

Latest drivers.

----

Ok i have narrowed it down to certain issues...

I can bump up every setting in my nvidia control panel EXCEPT...

* Anistropic filtering. (HAS TO BE LEFT ON APPLICATION CONTROLLED)

* Antialiasing Mode. (HAS TO BE LEFT ON APPLICATION CONTROLLED)

If i touch any of those 2 things... Game crashes... Graphics driver then crashes... Then blue screen of death.

As you can imagine... without those two things... the game looks like an PSX game graphics wise.
Old 04-30-08, 09:14 PM   #19
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Is the graphics card fan working ?
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 11:48 PM   #20
edjcox
Engineer

Downloads: 61
Default N Hancer

Try the NHancer program. http://www.nhancer.com/

It's a free download an solved all my issues caused by the Nvidia drivers.

Oh, the game was incomplete and released prematurely. That's why all the patches were released. Some seem to forget the initial period and the big time issues many had. A lot of folks tried to run this on systems that wre inadequate. It is a demanding program.

Let me know if that fixed what appears to be a GPU problem..

edjcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-08, 01:22 AM   #21
dusty
Nub

Downloads: 0

i have exactly the same probs mate exactly!!!!

intel quad core q6600
4gb ram
8800gtx
1000w psu
vista
tried everything giving up for now i play crysis assassins creed gears of war all on full no probs, mid war thru a patrol spot lone ship ha ha me thinks engage fool with deck gun......crash lock up blue death shame cos when it works works awesome
dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-08, 06:21 AM   #22
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Again, CTDs, excepting the infamous "A" key CTD were not ever an issue. This is stranger than that. I agree with Wilcke. This smells like an overheating problem or a problem with not enough power to the graphics card.

I had the identical symptoms with my Asus A8N-32 SLI deluxe board and dual 7600GT SLI configuration. I could jack the graphics settings only so far until my whole machine locked up and went black. I found on a page pretty much all by itself in the middle of irrelevent drivel, that the Asus board had an "EZ Connector" whose well-named function was to have a molex connecter plugged into it to supply SLIed cards that did not have their own auxiliary power connectors. Well hidden on the page was an offhand comment about possible system instability if the EZ connector wasn't used when it was needed. NO DUH!!!!!

I plugged a Molex connector in there, firewalled all the settings to the max and never had another problem until my infamous graphics card follies.

And that's another thing. There is a little known electronics plague affecting motherboards, graphics cards, power supplies and just about everything on Earth that uses electrolytic capacitors. In a case of attempted industrial espionage in the far east, an employee stole the plans for making electrolytic capacitors from his company and sold them to competitors, who became the number one supplier in the world thereby. The only problem is that the formula for the electrolyte was purposely missing a key ingredient: the preservative. The counterfeit caps work fine for between six months and a couple of years and then...

That's my EVGA 7600GT card with several exploded caps there. EVGA is one of a handful of the most reputable companies making graphics cards and this has happened to two of these so far. Sometimes, rather than blow the top, the caps leak out the bottom, which is much harder to see. Needless to say, cheaper off-brand cards are even more likely to fail, but victim #1 so far is Dell Computers. Nobody escaped this plague and it continues.

But you can entirely dismiss the idea that the game is somehow defective. It is true that only a couple of games, Crysis and FSX come to mind, put similar loads on your graphics system. That is what state of the art games do and your system is supposed to be able to handle that. Your specs are good (better than mine). So I'm afraid you have to go down the Wilke/Rockin route. If it is defective electronics, the problem will get worse and components failing that way often take other components with them to the grave due to unregulated power in the wrong place.

Ain't computers fun?
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-08, 09:06 AM   #23
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty
i have exactly the same probs mate exactly!!!!

intel quad core q6600
4gb ram
8800gtx
1000w psu
vista
tried everything giving up for now i play crysis assassins creed gears of war all on full no probs, mid war thru a patrol spot lone ship ha ha me thinks engage fool with deck gun......crash lock up blue death shame cos when it works works awesome
Have both of you run Nview? To check GPU temps and fan speeds with load? We have to win here there are hundreds of SH4 Happy Hunters out here in the ethers and you two are not going to screw up the stats! As Don would say, "No No No No No No...No No No No No No No No No No No".

Note to self: " I cannot believe the POS BFG 7950 GT OC that I bought on Ebay is running like a demon.....how can this be." Befuddled!

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-08, 10:40 AM   #24
icecold
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
Again, CTDs, excepting the infamous "A" key CTD were not ever an issue. This is stranger than that. I agree with Wilcke. This smells like an overheating problem or a problem with not enough power to the graphics card.

I had the identical symptoms with my Asus A8N-32 SLI deluxe board and dual 7600GT SLI configuration. I could jack the graphics settings only so far until my whole machine locked up and went black. I found on a page pretty much all by itself in the middle of irrelevent drivel, that the Asus board had an "EZ Connector" whose well-named function was to have a molex connecter plugged into it to supply SLIed cards that did not have their own auxiliary power connectors. Well hidden on the page was an offhand comment about possible system instability if the EZ connector wasn't used when it was needed. NO DUH!!!!!

I plugged a Molex connector in there, firewalled all the settings to the max and never had another problem until my infamous graphics card follies.

And that's another thing. There is a little known electronics plague affecting motherboards, graphics cards, power supplies and just about everything on Earth that uses electrolytic capacitors. In a case of attempted industrial espionage in the far east, an employee stole the plans for making electrolytic capacitors from his company and sold them to competitors, who became the number one supplier in the world thereby. The only problem is that the formula for the electrolyte was purposely missing a key ingredient: the preservative. The counterfeit caps work fine for between six months and a couple of years and then...

That's my EVGA 7600GT card with several exploded caps there. EVGA is one of a handful of the most reputable companies making graphics cards and this has happened to two of these so far. Sometimes, rather than blow the top, the caps leak out the bottom, which is much harder to see. Needless to say, cheaper off-brand cards are even more likely to fail, but victim #1 so far is Dell Computers. Nobody escaped this plague and it continues.

But you can entirely dismiss the idea that the game is somehow defective. It is true that only a couple of games, Crysis and FSX come to mind, put similar loads on your graphics system. That is what state of the art games do and your system is supposed to be able to handle that. Your specs are good (better than mine). So I'm afraid you have to go down the Wilke/Rockin route. If it is defective electronics, the problem will get worse and components failing that way often take other components with them to the grave due to unregulated power in the wrong place.

Ain't computers fun?

Well lets rule out defective card... i am running games inlcuding Crysis, Assasins Creed, COD4 without a hitch and very smoothly (although Crysis is a bit jumpy in the later levels but thats unavoidable due to the scale).

I am going to try Ntune and let you know if i see any problems.
Old 05-01-08, 10:50 AM   #25
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecold
Well lets rule out defective card... i am running games inlcuding Crysis, Assasins Creed, COD4 without a hitch and very smoothly (although Crysis is a bit jumpy in the later levels but thats unavoidable due to the scale).

I am going to try Ntune and let you know if i see any problems.
Cool! Crysis proves your point as far as I'm concerned. Hope you can narrow it down to the exact setting that causes the crash. nHancer is also well worth a try.
Old 05-01-08, 03:09 PM   #26
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 8

I still think the Ubisoft logo looks like a flushing toilet...

But they do publish some good games. ...or hobbies, depending on how you look at it. :hmm:

Just gotta stick with it I s'pose... at least until SH is released on a console.
Old 05-01-08, 03:44 PM   #27
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronblood
I still think the Ubisoft logo looks like a flushing toilet...

But they do publish some good games. ...or hobbies, depending on how you look at it. :hmm:

Just gotta stick with it I s'pose... at least until SH is released on a console.
On a ........console????

SH4 on a console would be like microwaved chicken. Yuck!!!

You mean it's NOT a flushing toilet?
Old 05-01-08, 05:19 PM   #28
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

WHAT IS EVERYONE SO DOWN ON THE CONSOLES FOR?

Shoot we're just a keyboard and mouse support away from having a hardware-unified simulation platform. The next-gen consoles can handle it, just that developers don't want to go there. ...for whatever reason. I dunno, maybe the publishers like having the luxury of pre-releasing bug-ridden software and can easily pawn it off on trying to cater to the multitude of strange hardware/software conflicts.

The hard drive installation, PC link, and internet connectivity are already there for the modders to continue playing. What exactly do people think we'd be missing out on? ...the hardware/software conflict headaches?

I'm all for moving sims to the platforms. If the GT driving games are any indication of what level of detail can be accomodated for simmers (I can't even drive those stupid cars, I have to dumb it all down) we should be anxiously awaiting the arrival of detailed naval and air simulations.

Now see... you made me go and hi-jack the thread.
Old 05-01-08, 05:57 PM   #29
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Soon as that happens it's the end of mods. That is what makes these PC games fascinating for me. I just can't get hepped up about console games. And the console games that are both on console and PC, the PC gamers mostly own the consolers because of their crappy controls. Granted, in a subsim that wouldn't be an issue.

I will not help hijack threads
Old 05-01-08, 06:27 PM   #30
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
Soon as that happens it's the end of mods.
Nobody reads my posts...

Why, in spite of my comment that modders could continue to function happily, do you think console simulations are the kiss-o-death to mods?

People are writing and sharing games on the things right now.

It's really all in the hands of the developers and publishers... they could easily write games to install to the console HD's (same as a PC) and people would be able to use their PC's tools (just like they do now) to mod the files and even share their work on forums like this.