SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-28-08, 02:03 PM   #16
Torps
Captain

Downloads: 148
Uploads: 0
Why not

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
They will be getting my $10.00 and that is final!!!!
In all honesty what is $10? since when can you buy an addon/expansion for under 20 or even 30 dollars anyway. I just bought and downloaded the addon, I will not install it till Kriller here gets ROW working and I do not have to worry about an imploding sub . hehe

Contributor
PE for ROW
Reflections on Water
ROW Sound Effects

R.I.P Dave Bunnel aka LeoVampire
Torps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 02:59 PM   #17
kylesplanet
Commodore

Downloads: 39

I will happily buy the add-on and install it when the mods are complient though I'll probably never play a U-Boat campaign. I bought SH4 because it was fleetboats and I truly love the sim.

I hope in the future that there will be an add-on to play British or Dutch subs in the Atlantic but I'm afraid that will be a long way off as the U-Boats will take center stage.

I read and appreciate Elanaibas post and I understand completly the financial aspect but I can't help but feel like the Allied side will be forgotten in the series, hopefully I'm wrong. It's a great game and I hope we get to enjoy it for a long time.

BTW, I would love to be able to control a surface ship in the Atlantic and blow the U-Boats out of the ocean!
Old 02-28-08, 04:47 PM   #18
stuntcow
Torpedoman

Downloads: 13

My concern is not about do I have to pay for a update but more to the line of how will it effect multiplay? I read somewhere, maybe in the readme, that the versions have to be the same to connect and if so, then a 1.4 will not connect to a 1.5 or other way around. Will the 1.5 player be able to play with the 1.4 players? Does adding the U-boot add-on kill any chance of multiplay with none add-on players? As if multiplay is not hard enough as it is.

"How long can you tread water?"
stuntcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 08:50 PM   #19
bosna387
Watch

Downloads: 51

Hii huys im new to this forum but I have played this game for a long period and I like this game a lot with bugs or without all the bugs can be fixed and they will fix it for us thx ubi
bosna387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 09:11 PM   #20
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Default All ready to protest but....

I already gave them my $10.00 and the game is downloading now.:rotfl:I'm a lousy protester. And loving it!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 09:30 PM   #21
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylesplanet
I will happily buy the add-on and install it when the mods are complient though I'll probably never play a U-Boat campaign. I bought SH4 because it was fleetboats and I truly love the sim.

I hope in the future that there will be an add-on to play British or Dutch subs in the Atlantic but I'm afraid that will be a long way off as the U-Boats will take center stage.

I read and appreciate Elanaibas post and I understand completly the financial aspect but I can't help but feel like the Allied side will be forgotten in the series, hopefully I'm wrong. It's a great game and I hope we get to enjoy it for a long time.

BTW, I would love to be able to control a surface ship in the Atlantic and blow the U-Boats out of the ocean!
I'm certain that I will never play the U-Boat but I am buying the patch tomorrow to support Elanaiba and the Dev team... and wait to install it when the mods I like catch up.

A mission or two in my GATO class in the Atlantic to sink something German - (Axis powers) - or a photo mission in the Med would make my day... lol

Happy Hunting!

Art

CO USS SCAMP (SS-277)
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 09:34 PM   #22
Beagle
Nub

Downloads: 0

Does this mean there will be no free patch?
We all know there are still bugs in 1.4. Obvious bugs, like the connign tower dial bug just for example. There was never a official patch for this...that's a very weak support.

I've seen the Addon on shelf today...for 14,95€...that equals 22,45$.

In fact I'm now waiting for a update or patch for this addon before I considering to buy it.

Just a lesson that years of gaming taught me.
Beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 10:30 AM   #23
AkbarGulag
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanaiba
AkbarGulag, am I to understand that you have bough the game engine from us ?
I certainly bought the rights to use it in its entirety.

Here's an example, the Game GuildWars. You would have heard of it i'm sure. This game I have purchased 3 expansions + mulitiple bonus 'add-ons'. But at the same time, the game will always make sure I have the same 'patch version' as any other player. Guild Wars has cost me about $500. The reason I keep spending the money is because I feel I will always be looked after. When I log into Guild Wars, I am updated with new content with no fee... constant 'patching'. I realise Anet has set a very high bar, maybe I am wrong to expect this much from each game I purchase.

It seems everyone has an urge to kick me at this point, for you it should be no different.

...It was at this point, Captain AkbarGulag realised how green his crew was..."
AkbarGulag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 02:46 PM   #24
elanaiba
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkbarGulag
Quote:
AkbarGulag, am I to understand that you have bough the game engine from us ?
I certainly bought the rights to use it in its entirety.

Here's an example, the Game GuildWars. You would have heard of it i'm sure. This game I have purchased 3 expansions + mulitiple bonus 'add-ons'. But at the same time, the game will always make sure I have the same 'patch version' as any other player. Guild Wars has cost me about $500. The reason I keep spending the money is because I feel I will always be looked after. When I log into Guild Wars, I am updated with new content with no fee... constant 'patching'. I realise Anet has set a very high bar, maybe I am wrong to expect this much from each game I purchase.

It seems everyone has an urge to kick me at this point, for you it should be no different.
Hmmm, did I say anything about kicking anyone? Not that I would be able, I am not a mod.

Now..

Quote:
It's not about how cheap it is, it's about the fact it builds on a game engine I bought in entirety, expecting to be a prime benefactor of improvements to that engine.
You have not bought the Silent Hunter Engine in the sense you buy the UT engine, for example. As for the MP problem, I can sympathize, but that is unsolvable for us.

There are many games where the MP player base is divided by versions - see IL-2 -> AEP -> PF -> 1946. You can't play with the big guys unless you have the latest version. Perfect solution? no!

And frankly, If I didn't have a technology impediment and full decision control, my games would have "everyone has the same base, buy the new stuff to get to use it".

But if the add-on adds new ships, and you get them for free, why buy the add-on then?

elanaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 04:18 PM   #25
theluckyone17
Captain

Downloads: 103

I don't believe we can compare SH4 to a game like Guild Wars. Yeah, they're both pieces of computer software. But past that, it becomes apples & oranges.

From what I've seen of it, Guild Wars comes across as a hack & slash MMORPG. Don't know if you've happened to notice it or not, but there seems to be quite a few of these lately. Probably because there are a lot of people who want to play them. Lots of people willing to pay money to play them (some, like WoW, even pay monthly, in addition to the purchase of the original software + expansions!).

Silent Hunter, on the other hand, fills a niche market. How many submarine simulations are out there? How many are "modern" (produced, released, and sold within the last couple years)?

It doesn't take much to see that there's a lot more money in putting a MMORPG out there, than there is in a sub sim. If you're running a company, looking at the bottom line, where are you more likely put your dev's to work?

As a result, I'm more than happy to send a pittance to Ubi & the dev's every now and then, in return for an increasingly polished product. At least I'm not up on WoW, pouring money out of my pockets each month, trying to powerlevel my character up to level 60.

If you're not happy with the above, and figure you shouldn't have to pay for patches, go check out Danger From The Deep. Put your lack of money, excess time, and excess energy where your mouth is, and produce. DftD is open source... you've got the code and game data right in front of you. Make it what you want it to be.
theluckyone17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 08:53 PM   #26
AkbarGulag
Samurai Navy

Quote:
But if the add-on adds new ships, and you get them for free, why buy the add-on then?
I think you missed my point a little there elanaiba. I'm talking more about things like Library files, tweaks to .dat .sim etc.. and general engine improvements. I would not expect anyone to get access to new content such as planes and boats etc.. thats what people should pay for :p Tweaks and balances are for Patches.

I'm talking about the engine and tweaks to that engine. Please understand that I have no problems buying the addon, in fact I already have it. More content is great and add-ons are an excellent way to generate funds for future developement.

On a side note, thanks for adding some items for New Zealand's roster

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckyone17
If you're not happy with the above, and figure you shouldn't have to pay for patches, go check out Danger From The Deep. Put your lack of money, excess time, and excess energy where your mouth is, and produce. DftD is open source... you've got the code and game data right in front of you. Make it what you want it to be.
theluckyone17: I don't play wow, nor would I ever use a pay to play product. Your generalisations are glaring.

I'm not interested in your flame. I suggest you take your unproductive post and yourself and avoid my discussions.

Last edited by AkbarGulag; 02-29-08 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-29-08, 09:46 PM   #27
theluckyone17
Captain

Downloads: 103

My apologies, AkbarGulag. I tried to tone that down a little bit, honest I did . You should've seen the first draft . I should've elaborated a bit... didn't mean it personally, but as a general statement to all those out there complaining about the 1.5 "patches" (as opposed to add-ons) not being backported to the 1.4 installs, without having to purchase the add-on.

The dev's (and Ubi) are putting time and energy into these patches/add-ons, and I feel they should be suitably compensated for it. If anyone doesn't feel the same, that's fine... ain't gonna bother me none. I would prefer they take that energy and put towards a good project, though. I'm just sayin' .

And if you're ever passing through Albany, NY, drop me a line... I owe you one on my tab
theluckyone17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 10:34 PM   #28
AkbarGulag
Samurai Navy

(To Luckyone)

No problem Luckone. Just so hard to have a thought or opinion here recently without someone putting spin on it. I try to articulate myself as well as possible. Being a carpainter for 13 years never gave me the need for a pen(aside from some scrawling), I swear, picking it up again so to speak has been challenging. Not sure if I will ever get to Albany NY (New York?) but I do love a nice cold beer on occasion

(To everyone)

I value elanaiba's statements and would like to keep the threads useful. I'm sure he has better things to do, so being here is a big plus for all of us. Can we please, pretty please with cheries on top all be nice to our visitors

Old 03-01-08, 12:39 PM   #29
SuperCavitation
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torps

In all honesty what is $10?
Actually, it ran me about $25.

$10 for the game, $15 for the beer. :p

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast. For I intend to go in harm's way." - Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, in a letter to le Ray de Chaumont.
SuperCavitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-08, 04:09 PM   #30
DeepIron
Sea Lord

I bought it... If for no other reason than to mod the new files , keep up with development and honor Dave's memory and contribution.

Soon as I can replace the new 1.5 splash screen the better...
RFB Loadout: RFB_V1.52_102408: RFB_V1.52_Patch_111608: RSRDC_RFBv15_V396
DeepIron is offline   Reply With Quote