SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-10-06, 06:03 PM   #16
OneShot
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I surely would appreciate having a nice Prowler at my "disposal" to get rid of those nagging SAMs at least to a certain degree. So Jamming would be appreciated.

Actually you should considering adding Jammers to the P-3 itself, please take note of the following quote directly from F.A.S. Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.A.S.
# The AN/AAR-47 Missile Warning System [MWS] is a passive electro-optical system designed to detect surface-to-air and air-to-air missiles. Upon detection of an incoming missile, the MWS will report the impending threat to the Countermeasures Dispensing System (CMDS).
# The AN/ALE-47 Countermeasures Dispensing System [CMDS] will be used for dispensing flares, chaff, non-programmable expendable jammers, and programmable jammers.
Btw. since some have mourned the ability to detect IR-Guided missiles, maybe the first part of the quote might interest you.
OneShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-06, 10:08 PM   #17
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneShot
I surely would appreciate having a nice Prowler at my "disposal" to get rid of those nagging SAMs at least to a certain degree. So Jamming would be appreciated.

Actually you should considering adding Jammers to the P-3 itself, please take note of the following quote directly from F.A.S. Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.A.S.
# The AN/AAR-47 Missile Warning System [MWS] is a passive electro-optical system designed to detect surface-to-air and air-to-air missiles. Upon detection of an incoming missile, the MWS will report the impending threat to the Countermeasures Dispensing System (CMDS).
# The AN/ALE-47 Countermeasures Dispensing System [CMDS] will be used for dispensing flares, chaff, non-programmable expendable jammers, and programmable jammers.
Btw. since some have mourned the ability to detect IR-Guided missiles, maybe the first part of the quote might interest you.
I've already advocated for modeling the bug-eyes. There is a difference between detecting a missile plume and a missile lock though. Flight sims figured out that IR homing missiles didn't give any missile lock warning to the target over a decade ago. there's no excuse for that sort of sloppiness here.
Old 05-25-06, 07:51 PM   #18
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe
Can you add a weapon/sonobuoy drop altitude limit that causes the weapon/sonobuoy to fail if the parameter is exceeded (like a missile fired from too deep)? Or, if wind drift effects are modelled against falling objects, simulate the effect of a parachute that opens at a realistic altitude?
Yes, I can use the doctrines to disable sonobuoys or torpedoes drop above a certain altitude, however, the problem is that the AI has to be able to fire these things from any altitude because it isn't programed to fly to low level before engaging targets, I could try to enable this behavior but its too much of a pain frankly... plus, the airdales seem to like doing this as a balance to the mast issue.

I see it as a zero sum game, so I'm going to leave it as is.
Old 05-26-06, 12:42 PM   #19
Amizaur
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 0

Just found this at CADS forums:

Quote:
Jamie: We do not object to the addition of non-playable platforms to our simulation. We just ask that the modders are clear in denoting that the information in our in-game USNI reference was not necessarily gathered from USNI when appropriate. If the information was taken from some other source, that modification must be noted in the reference entry (to satisfy our obligation to USNI and our license to utilize their data, whose entries should not be modified). ...
So... seems it's clear now that we can at last modify and add some info to USNI (or rather non USNI ) reference ? The most important things like speeds, ranges, sensor depths ect. I think would be safe to not touch original USNI descriptions at all, only add second LwAmi mod note at the bottom with current data.
Amizaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-06, 01:45 PM   #20
OneShot
Grey Wolf

Well, I asked that question specifically because I knew you guys always wanted to do that, and since I guessed that at least our HardCore players would read the interview I assumed you knew that fact already, after all the interview is already some weeks old.
Old 09-18-06, 09:22 AM   #21
hyperion2206
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 8

I've got an question and I bet this is not the right place to ask, but since I don't know where else I could post it I do it here anyway :

Is it possible to use the LWAMI 4 mod if you own the German version of DW or do you have to have the American version?
hyperion2206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-06, 09:56 AM   #22
OneShot
Grey Wolf

The LwAmi (regardless which version) only works with the english version and none of the localized ones (I think - unless someone found a workaround).
Old 09-19-06, 02:27 AM   #23
UglyMowgli
Grey Wolf

You can make it working with other version. At MS we have a modified version of the LwAmi working for the french localized DW since we use it in MP games. There is just few filenames to rename and changes. I will ask to Nemo67, who make the change, what he has done.
Old 09-19-06, 03:19 AM   #24
hyperion2206
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 8

Thanks MSgalileo, I would really appreciate if you could tell me what I've got to do to get LWAMI working for the German version!
hyperion2206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-06, 06:13 AM   #25
UglyMowgli
Grey Wolf

Well Nemo67 write me it s just a change of one letter in the file name extension for exemple
*.etd file were rename *.ftd (E for english and F for French so I guess you should replace extesnion etd by gtd = German).

You have to look at the sub directory who are replaced by the lawmi (doctrine and the other one) just check the extension of the files form the original DW and LwAmi files.
Old 12-30-06, 07:05 AM   #26
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

Luft I have started working on land based SSM models as well as some land based arty

done the 130mm Bereg system,
Old 01-03-07, 02:19 AM   #27
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Noted, thanks.

The process of adding new units or making straightforward spec/model changes is probably the last thing that will be done for the new dist so please feel free to delve into this as you like, there probably won't be much time pressure from my end.

Cheers,
David
Old 01-04-07, 01:00 AM   #28
Bellman
Sea Lord

Downloads: 220

Would the quest for 'realism' be served by reducing the potential number of wire-guided torps that one is able to launch and control to 2 - 4 at any one time. The numerical ability implemented in Harpoon.(apparently)

Appart from the Chinese hybrid wired 'straight runners' I cannot find any confirmation of the reality of the DW system allowing 8 wired runners. Maybe this is a tricky area to discuss and I will stand corrected by those 'in the know'

Although the incidence of trawling large launch numbers seems to have waned from SC - potentialy the launcher can use wire techniques unlikely in real life.

There may be many good game software reasons why the doctrines cannot be adjusted. But if the player had to husband a launch of scarcer resources the challenge of the game would approach reality.

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity

Last edited by Bellman; 01-05-07 at 09:28 AM.
Bellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 09:08 AM   #29
Bellman
Sea Lord

Downloads: 220

.....and Amizaurs excellent advanced torp routines have demonstrated the possibilities.

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity

Last edited by Bellman; 01-05-07 at 09:29 AM.
Bellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 04:39 PM   #30
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

The Advanced Torpedo Modelling in LWAMI 4.xx will take care of this. WG torpedoes are so lethal within a certain envelope that in this game, as in real life, the real technique of killing will be to put you in a superior position over your enemy, rather than saturating the an area with weapons.

In addition, the torpedoes themselves when properly modelled that it is unlikely that a person will be able to effective control 4 as opposed to 2 in a way that makes them more effective as killing instruments.

In other words, I can't do that directly, but I think the problem will take care of itself if what I can do is properly implimented.

Cheers,
David