SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-21-19, 10:32 AM   #1
ExFishermanBob
Difficulties Numbing

Downloads: 43
Uploads: 0

Default Learning

I've been playing around single-user (which is manageable, at least for diving and surfacing!): filling the ballast tanks, emptying them and playing with the negative tank.

I now understand that having the ballast tank full (main ballast) leaves me with neutral bouyancy and using movement + planes allows me to use that to move up and down in the water column. The negative tank was a puzzle until I played around with it. Really good fun (what a teaching tool!).

One thing I cannot find is where one set's the lobby name - I've tried googling but to no avail.
ExFishermanBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-19, 04:48 PM   #2
Sharpshooter
Herr Kaleun

Downloads: 31

Currently you cannot set the lobby name. It's your name's lobby.
Sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-19, 08:30 AM   #3
ExFishermanBob
Difficulties Numbing

Downloads: 43

Ah, thanks
ExFishermanBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 08:52 AM   #4
con20or
Lieutenant

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFishermanBob View Post
I've been playing around single-user (which is manageable, at least for diving and surfacing!): filling the ballast tanks, emptying them and playing with the negative tank.

I now understand that having the ballast tank full (main ballast) leaves me with neutral bouyancy and using movement + planes allows me to use that to move up and down in the water column. The negative tank was a puzzle until I played around with it. Really good fun (what a teaching tool!).

One thing I cannot find is where one set's the lobby name - I've tried googling but to no avail.
Ive been trying the same and am really enjoying just using the different parts of the diving apparatus - but cannot set neutral buoyancy, i open the two vents front and rear but start sinking straight away. As far as I understood - when these are full this should leave me at neutral and as you say, movement plus the planes shoudl let me slip below the surface when I want to. Thats not the case - how did you do it Bob?
con20or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 09:00 AM   #5
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

You are starting to sink immediately because after you flood the main ballast tanks you have negative buoyancy as the negative tank is also filled. Once you are submerged you should empty the negative. As soon as possible, as it takes quite a bit of air once you get deeper. But not entirely empty it! To get properly neutrally buoyant at periscope depth you should leave 0.05 m^3 (or 1 halve tick) in the negative tank.

At deeper levels you may need to empty it totally and empty the main ballast tanks also a bit to become lighter and compensate for your more compressed volume. How much I don't know yet.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 09:22 AM   #6
con20or
Lieutenant

Downloads: 37

Thats the job - submerged nicely now
con20or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 08:08 PM   #7
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Downloads: 324

slipped below the surface without opening main ballast tanks .. all I did was fill the water tank to full and she started diving,, main ballast tanks? anyone try this?

Captain_AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-19, 09:04 AM   #8
U56
Helmsman

Downloads: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_AJ View Post
slipped below the surface without opening main ballast tanks .. all I did was fill the water tank to full and she started diving,, main ballast tanks? anyone try this?
Sorry AJ not sure exactly what you did here. You cannot fill the main ballast tanks without opening the valves, and the negative tank starts in the game already full. Rgds.
U56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-19, 05:04 PM   #9
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Downloads: 324

let me explain .. I opened the tank where the water became the ballast and she went into a dive without opening the main ballast tanks, clear enough of what was said? ill do screenshots lafiin

Captain_AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-19, 10:31 AM   #10
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

I don't think it is clear yet. Atleast not to me.

It might help if you explain in which location you do something.

Above the hatch to the radio/hydrophone is a wheel to open and close the forward ballast vents. To let in or block water from going in.

Same at the back bulkhead near the compressor is the wheel to open and close the aft ballast vents. To let in or block water from going in.

Just behind the diving station are 2 places with wheel valves:

The front with 3 dial and a single wheel. 2 dials showing the volume (flooding level) of the fwd and aft ballast tanks. Both show an independent volume of around 75 cubic meter. And 1 dial showing the amount of compressed air left in the compressor tank. The wheel is used to blow these tanks empty. It cannot fill it. If the ballast vents are open then you waste compressed air by turning this wheel.

Behind that is the negative tank station. It has 2 dials: a water volume gauge and a repeat of the air left in the compressor tank. It has 2 wheels. One with which you can express this negative tank with air. The other to fill it with water. It has only a volume of around 4 cubic meters. (or 4.5 cubic meters, can't remember exactly) It is used to provide negative buoyancy against the neutral buoyancy you would have when the main ballast tanks are full of water.

[edit] And there is the bilge pump with a dial showing volume in the bilge tanks. These should only fill when you are making water by damage or seeping water coming in at deep depths.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote