SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-06-17, 12:05 PM   #1
jaxa
The Old Man

Downloads: 413
Uploads: 0
Default Can't start SH3 after new installation

Hello guys
I have a big problem with SH3 on Windows 10 Creators Update.
I made a fresh new installation like always, wanted to start, but after intro I see only black screen and hear music from game menu. I try to open game using compatibility modes from W10, but with no success.
WTF? Somebody know how to fix it? Everything was good using older versions of W10.
jaxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-17, 12:22 PM   #2
Harm
Seaman

Downloads: 38

look here http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...220285&page=61
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-17, 01:09 PM   #3
jaxa
The Old Man

I've just installed the newest drivers from AMD - 17.5.1, but problem still exist.
I think it's a graphic problem, looks like the game can't load its gui.
Old 05-06-17, 01:29 PM   #4
Harm
Seaman

Downloads: 38

I have no info about amd drivers so far. You can try a downgrade to an older driver or proceed according to Hauptmanns instructions. You find it in post 913.

I can not say whether it works for you at all, since you seem to have problems with the stock version.

The solution relates to the problems with the Widescreen Gui from LSH3 V15. LSH3 works in 4:3 mode, but with Widescreen Gui occur the problems described by you.
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-17, 01:50 PM   #5
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi Guys
Important Information For Those Having Problems With The latest Windows Update.
Windows 10 Creator Version 1703 By Harm
I have added this to my LSH3-2015 tutorials.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-17, 03:06 AM   #6
jaxa
The Old Man

Unfortunately, this solution doesn't work for AMD Radeon cards
Old 05-07-17, 03:07 AM   #7
jaxa
The Old Man

Unfortunately, this solution doesn't work for AMD Radeon cards
Old 05-17-17, 09:59 PM   #8
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Downloads: 360
Default my 2 cents

I've got a ASUS R7370 video card and updated the driver via the AMD site. I believe it was the 17.5.1 driver, but anyway, it was the latest driver not the beta driver. I experience a "jumping" effect starting SHIII and the map screen was useless. I rolled back to the ASUS driver and all is good again. I suggest using the video card's manufactures driver. I did some research and the consciences was to use the manufactures driver. BTW the ASUS driver is slightly behind the AMD driver but it works and looks good . Hope this helps. Jerry CA45
Doolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-17, 01:05 PM   #9
CaptBones
The Old Man

Downloads: 206

Icon9 Even more strange...

I've run into a similar but even weirder problem. I'm still running Win 7 (64) - Home Premium on a six year old Alienware Area 51. I've allowed the "Fourth Reich" (Microsoft) to install most of their "Critical Updates", which many "experts" have claimed will convert Win 7 to an ersatz Win 10 without user knowledge or consent.

I have (should say "had"), three installations of SH3; Stock, LSH3 2015 and GWX3 with separate SH3 Commander. Everything has been working well for years; absolutely no problems.

But, a short time ago, all of the SH3 installations simply quit working, completely. When I double-click the desktop shortcut for Stock, LSH (inside the desktop folder), or GWX, I get my UAC warning and I select "yes"; the little blue "thingy" spins around for 5-10 seconds and then - nothing - no start screen, no music, not even a black screen. But, I open Task Manager and there is a "Process" running called sh3.exe; not a "Task", a "Process" - what?!?!. So, I close Task Manager, double click again on the shortcut and the game starts and runs normally.

Same thing, only different, with SH3 Commander (both the version included with LSH and the separate installation for GWX). Double click the shortcut and the start screen for SH3 CDR opens; but oddly, the UAC notice does not open first and ask me if I want to allow the program to make changes to the computer. So, I click the Launch SH3 check-mark and then the same thing happens - the CDR start screen closes, the little blue thingy spins and then nothing. I try again and this time I get a pop-up box that says something like "SH3 CDR has found another instance of SH3 running and cannot start SH3 - close the other program and try again". I open Task Manager and there again are no Tasks running, just a Process called sh3.exe.

I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled SH3 and SH3 Commander three times, including deleting the save game folder and complete cleaning of the Registry and disk cleaning/defragging, using not one or two but three different and highly recommended scanning/cleaning programs. All to no avail.

To be sure, absolutely no such problems with any other installed programs, including SH4 - also three installations - one each Stock, TMO and OM; no trouble there at all.

Anyone got any ideas about what could have caused this and how to fix it?

Just discovered another quirk that might be significant. The failures only occur when the computer is not connected to the Internet. A couple of months ago I started unplugging the LAN cable when I play games/sims on the computer (to keep automatic update software from interfering with the game operations). This afternoon I tried to run SH3 and did not unplug the cable...it started and ran perfectly well. I would still like to figure out why it doesn't work properly when the computer is unplugged from the Router though.

Last edited by CaptBones; 05-23-17 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Another clue...
CaptBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-19, 01:22 PM   #10
fabersky
Nub

Downloads: 4
Default gwx3 problem installation

hi allim Fabersky from Italy,i just restart to play with SH3 after many years , i tried to install GWX 3 gold but at the moment to install in the folder ,system message say me that need a version cleaned of SH3 without mods, but i have already it. i bought downlable version from Ubisoft and already update with patch 1.4, and without any other mode? Somebody can help me to fix the problem please? i know this is an old post ,but i think is the only one place for get some helps. many thanks to all
fabersky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-19, 01:37 PM   #11
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

fabersky!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-19, 09:23 AM   #12
Hebe Vollmaus
Officer

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 1

Fabersky,
the developers of GWX are genius. But evan them can not look in the future. When was GWX3 released? In the very end of year 2008? Any SH3 that is released afterward can go wrong, especialy the "Newer" Download-versions.

What you get may not a System-message but a GWX3-installer-message. The Installer is not very clever; it looks for some files that has to be _not_ in the installed SH3-directory, and only one file that has to be there. So the installer is correct when it states that something is different what it expected.

I would go another way, if i have to. (Which i do not)

First make shure your original SH3 is not installed in "ProgramFiles" and its Directory is read and writeable.
Second, make shure your original SH3 is working.
Use JSGME the first Time if you do not already have. This will create your "MODs"-folder for future needs.
Create new Folder called "_GWX3-Gold" in MODs-folder.
Create new SubFolders "_GWX3-Gold\data\Sound".
Create new txt-file "_GWX3_Gold\data\Sound\P20_@Hedgehog_deepwater.wav " <== make shure this is renamed to .wav instead of .txt.
Install GWX3 into "_GWX3_Gold".
Delete "_GWX3_Gold\data\Sound\P20_@Hedgehog_deepwater.wav ".
Delete the 5 files related to JSGME (in folder "_GWX3_Gold)". <== This is an old version, which you will not use!
Delete 2 folders "_GWX3_Gold\MODS\!BACKUP" and ...!INSTLOGS".
Delete file "_GWX3_Gold\MODS\JSGME.ini".
Move all "GWX - "-Mods out of folder "_GWX3-Gold\MODS" into MODs-folder.
Delete folder "_GWX3-Gold\MODS"
Activate "_GWX3_Gold" with JSGME.

Hope this helps.

Some words about post #9 from CaptBones.
If this "Not starting" issue occurs only on the first Start or Doublecklick (the second Start will work) this is a known issue which is related to "GameUX.dll" and its ugly misbehavior.

Greetings.
Hebe Vollmaus is offline   Reply With Quote