SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-27-12, 01:23 PM   #46
Godalmighty83
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I liked it, I don't particularly care if some real life obstacles was plot holed out the way I found it enjoyable and a interesting premise.

A real life drama set on a boomber wouldn't be very thrilling 'dear diary we floated around a bit, much like the past 97 days but today I think I heard a fish'.

Its not like we are drowning in entertaining shows at the moment especially ones about subs so iam going to carry on watching and hope it pulls a Spartacus where the after a few episodes the awesome ramps up.
Old 09-27-12, 08:35 PM   #47
Kaye T. Bai
Samurai Navy

Location: Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
Downloads: 22

Spotted some factual goofs, but it was decent. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Personally, I thought that Andre Braugher's acting was probably the strong suit of the episode; he was very charismatic, especially in the speech where he said "We'll all burn together". That sent chills up and down my spine.

Last edited by Kaye T. Bai; 09-28-12 at 08:28 AM.
Kaye T. Bai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-12, 11:24 PM   #48
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

It will be interesting to see where they take it from here.
Old 09-28-12, 01:39 AM   #49
Malakie
Bosun

Downloads: 129

Well, I watched the show tonight and have to say I like it! There are a few question about the story itself of course but for TV land I would say they did a pretty good job of portraying things..

As a U.S. Navy Disabled Veteran and having started my career first as a Sonar Technician, I was looking for details along with the story. They did a pretty good job all in all!

Some might say the story is not plausible but then who knows? What I do know is one of our subs would not just go rogue and the actions the crew takes in this story are right on the mark as far as I am concerned.

The big question of course is: Who in our government has enough power to pull this off and be able to keep United States Navy ships, 4-star Admirals and more in the dark about it?

I can tell you this, and it will be interested to see how this plays out, those that have access to the NMCC, Our nuclear priority Command Authority Bases around the world, Our submarines operational patrol patterns and locations as well as communication protocols and times, and who can initiate the generation of a daily launch coded message WITHOUT most of the command structure knowing... well let's just say there are not many that could pull this off in our government.. let alone do it without anyone knowing.

We already know the Assistant SecDef is involved. Most probably some in the naval command structure around him. With that I can tell you there are probably a number of ship captains who are also on board this act.. including sub captains based on the launch against Pakistan that did take place.

In essence we have a full blown and active coup attempt now taking place in the United States of America. Reason: Unknown. Threat Assessment: Unknown. Involved: Unknown

Were, today, I in this situation on board this boat with this captain, I WOULD stand with him because he did everything right. Some people might say he was wrong in questioning the orders.. Actually he was right. More right than ever because the one thing command is taught is to never assume, always ask questions especially when orders make no sense or when they go against everything that is normal.. Commanding Officers are supposed to think on their feet and not assume or blindly follow along. And this is even more true when you remember that ALL of us who have and are serving are volunteers!

In this case the order coming from a secondary command point while Washington and the NMCC still exists.

My questions now are this: Where is the President and Vice President? Where is the SecDef? Where is the SecNav?

AND whomever is running this plot and coup attempt is, they now have two HUGE major problems.... First, the crew was able to contact home so now many people know they are not dead and everything was a lie. And second, a nuke was just set off 200 miles from D.C. and everyone saw it... not just in D.C. but every other capable nation saw it.

With our media the way it is and the internet out there, I cannot actually see a way to keep this bottled up and under wraps from the public... and that is a problem for this show I think because it is just not feasible that the media and the public would not know the truth in a matter of time.. a nuke went off.. people ARE going to be digging and asking question no matter WHAT fake story is put out there... and when the loved ones get out there and start talking.. or disappearing too... well..

Malakie

United States Navy Service Connected Disabled Veteran.
"A nation that forgets its veterans will itself soon be forgotten", Abraham Lincoln.

Malakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-12, 02:18 AM   #50
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

I agree
Old 09-28-12, 03:22 PM   #51
Godalmighty83
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 0

There's a awful lot of angles to cover not even including the world now being at nuclear war, probably far too much for a 44min pilot which already seemed to have to rush through certain events, plenty to expand on in time.
Old 09-28-12, 07:10 PM   #52
Kaye T. Bai
Samurai Navy

Location: Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godalmighty83 View Post
There's a awful lot of angles to cover not even including the world now being at nuclear war, probably far too much for a 44min pilot which already seemed to have to rush through certain events, plenty to expand on in time.
I agree. I think the pilot was way too fast-paced; they tried to fit in a season's worth of events into one episode.

Personally, I think they should have diverted the first few episodes into introducing the characters and building up the chemistry between them. Any fictional work is much more enjoyable when the characters are understood well. For example, LT Shepard's actions really annoyed me in the pilot, especially the way she went around blatantly disrespecting the COB, who was a seasoned MCPO. However, with some insight as to the background into her character, we could've seen why her actions were and whyh she did what she did.

The entire pilot episode, stretched out over several episodes, would've made a damn fine season if you ask me. Now, we just have to wait and see how they will top that. I'll go ahead and forgive the factual errors, seeing as they didn't have official USN/DoD support; suspension of disbelief.

Last edited by Kaye T. Bai; 09-28-12 at 07:39 PM.
Kaye T. Bai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-12, 07:16 PM   #53
timmyg00
中国水兵

Downloads: 42

EPIC FAIL.

Naval Historical Sites - Photo Galleries
timmyg00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-12, 07:33 PM   #54
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

It's being applauded by many critics and most TV fans, but I'm sorry--the idea of a nuke sub CO and XO launching a nuke anywhere near DC is fizzing with stupidity. Unless, the writers reveal that all of the officers in change have gone certifiably insane, OR possessed by demons or aliens, maybe then I would buy that.

Still, it's pretty hard to dismiss that the US would not send in another sub or a stealth bomber and take out that stationary, surfaced-in-a-shallow-harbor-boomer while the CO, XO, and hot chick officer are speculatin' 2 miles away at the NATO station.
Old 09-28-12, 07:59 PM   #55
soopaman2
Der Alte

Downloads: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
It's being applauded by many critics and most TV fans, but I'm sorry--the idea of a nuke sub CO and XO launching a nuke anywhere near DC is fizzing with stupidity. Unless, the writers reveal that all of the officers in change have gone certifiably insane, OR possessed by demons or aliens, maybe then I would buy that.

Still, it's pretty hard to dismiss that the US would not send in another sub or a stealth bomber and take out that stationary, surfaced-in-a-shallow-harbor-boomer while the CO, XO, and hot chick officer are speculatin' 2 miles away at the NATO station.

We were looking for Das boot with American flags, We got Das Arschloch, with insults to our intelligence.

-Winston Churchill-

The most fascinating man in the world.
soopaman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-12, 08:07 PM   #56
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

I missed the premeire last night, but caught the rebroadcast tonight. Didn't make it past the opening with the boomer sailing around surfaced. Clicked if off after 30 seconds. Wife was perturbed.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-12, 08:07 PM   #57
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Unless, the writers reveal that all of the officers in change have gone certifiably insane, OR possessed by demons or aliens, maybe then I would buy that.
Of course!
They're Dalek Duplicates, like from Ressurection of the Daleks, or Asylum of the Daleks!
Old 09-29-12, 01:30 AM   #58
soopaman2
Der Alte

Downloads: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
I missed the premeire last night, but caught the rebroadcast tonight. Didn't make it past the opening with the boomer sailing around surfaced. Clicked if off after 30 seconds. Wife was perturbed.

She turned off by war movies like mine is, or did the steaming mound of horse manure bother her? A womans Bull-stuff detector is uncanny.

At least this pile of doo-doo steamed, most just lay there all cold, and full of corn and peanuts.

I should really die for some of the stuff I say.

-Winston Churchill-

The most fascinating man in the world.
soopaman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-12, 09:55 AM   #59
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopaman2 View Post
She turned off by war movies like mine is, or did the steaming mound of horse manure bother her?
No, she wanted to watch it, but I turned it off after 30 seconds.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-12, 10:03 AM   #60
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
No, she wanted to watch it, but I turned it off after 30 seconds.
Autocrats,

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote