SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: SSN-774 Virginia to replace 688i Improved LA in DW?
Yes 93 61.59%
No 58 38.41%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-08, 07:58 AM   #61
sonar732
The Old Man

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0

I don't see the Viriginia replacing the 688i model either. Look what SCX and SCU did for Sub Command. It allowed us to play those classic missions that went on during the Cold War...for nostagia's sake...even Red Storm Rising did the same.

For the purist, we'd like to continue playing those missions with the 688i because the Seawolf or Virignia hadn't been commsioned yet.
sonar732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-08, 11:33 PM   #62
stormrider_sp
Planesman

Downloads: 51

In my opinion it would be a better deal to replace the seawolf with the new virginia. The Seawolf class was more of an experiment than a real mass production submarine like the LA was or the Virginia is intended to be in near future.

stormrider_sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-08, 02:33 AM   #63
Stanny
Loader

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormrider_sp
In my opinion it would be a better deal to replace the seawolf with the new virginia. The Seawolf class was more of an experiment than a real mass production submarine like the LA was or the Virginia is intended to be in near future.
Seawolf class was not an experiment,actually.It was a submarine,intended entirely for antisubmarine warfare and engagements of large naval surface battlegroups,and little or no role at all was dedicated to land strikes.Eight torpedo tubes and no VLS,extremely silent propulsion system and advanced sensors and combat systems are proving this fact.That was only the extreme cost per unit,that came the actual reason of cancellation of this program,as well as new threats of modern era-no more "Cold war stand-offs" and rising of global terrorism.

That is why Virginia has got VLS again,and just four torpedo tubes.Land strikes with newest versions of Tomahawk will be the primary missions for the new submarine.

However,it is my personal opinion,Seawolf is still far more capable fighter of the deep,than any other submarine in the world.Russians are turning to "Graney" class,copying ideas of Virginia in fact,U.S. is building Virginias,oriented for special operations and land strikes.Only three Seawolf submarines of US NAVY are the most up-to-date antisubmarine-antivessel fighters.
Stanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 10:28 AM   #64
dyshman
Sailor man

Downloads: 32

How about this Virginia? http://ifolder.ru/7037564
dyshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 10:43 PM   #65
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142

Nay. No replacement. I love my Seawolf and 688i's !! The Virginia should be added in ADDITION to them.