SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-17-13, 08:37 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Start-button and boot-to-desktop coming back in Windows 8.1 ?

Financial pain is the best teacher in business.

http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-wind...op-7000014075/

Still does not repair the unspeakable app-system. They really should split the OS into two independent versions, one for tablets and smartphones, one for PCs. Have the PC-version with the changes rumored above. Free it from this app-system customer hostility. Make it traditional like W7 in style in handling, with the new and advanced security technology of W8 running under the hood.

May not give MS the needle it wants to slam into the veins of the customers to keep them on the drip and suck their blood as they want. But maybe would reverse the negative trend MS has faced in the past 6 months, and which obviously has made the financial damage felt to them now - and the whole PC industry. Recent drops in notebook and PC sales for the most are attributed to hardware being sold with W8 preinstalled. Which means: something preinstalled that people simply do not want to have and pay money for - only what Microsoft wants them to want, for its own convenient profit raise.

I wonder how long Balmer will live in office? He messed up big time with W8.
Old 04-17-13, 09:38 AM   #2
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
They really should split the OS into two independent versions, one for tablets and smartphones, one for PCs.
They already have.

Tablets - Windows 8
Phones - Windows Phone 7 or 8
PC - Windows 7

Old 04-17-13, 09:52 AM   #3
MH
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 248

http://www.geek.com/chips/how-to-sta...ows-8-1526581/
MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-13, 10:18 AM   #4
HundertzehnGustav
Sea Lord

Downloads: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
They already have.

Tablets - Windows 8
Phones - Windows Phone 7 or 8
PC - Windows 7

W8 can W8
Old 04-17-13, 11:03 AM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Indeed, under the hood there are too many difference and security improvements as if it would make sense to compare W7 and W8.

And walk-arounds do not count, MH, because not everybody has the skill and knowledge to know about them and to implement them. There are still many people for whom computers have not played a major role in their lives.
Old 04-18-13, 01:25 PM   #6
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

W8 is great for touch screens. My wife had W8 on her phone. IMO, beats the heck out of Android Systems. I suspect that W8 would be awesome for tablets. Anything that is not touch screen, I see no use for W8 on these devices.
AVGWarhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-13, 03:03 PM   #7
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

The biggest problem I had with W8 was its turning on the built in web cam on my HP G62 laptop on boot up. I consider that a big security problem, and I went back to W7 as a result. I have no idea if the signal from the cam actually went anywhere but, it was unnerving knowing that it might have.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-13, 07:40 AM   #8
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

Probably too little, too late.

I know of 4 close friends who have all been sold new laptops bundled with Win 8 within the last 2 months. After wondering WTF was going on, all of them purchased OEM copies of Win 7 and formatted Win 8 to oblivion within 24 hours.

The simple truth is this, people (normal people, not hobbyists) want computers to work for them straight out of the box. They do not want to learn how to use an OS all over again.

Damage is done.
Old 04-20-13, 07:54 AM   #9
MH
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 248

Yes it is all in the wrist.
MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 11:34 AM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22714048

They do not listen, they just do not listen. Instead they weasel a bit, and still try to enforce that people finally should accept the way Microsoft wants them to like things.

Quote:
Microsoft has confirmed a Start button is returning to the desktop mode's taskbar of its Windows 8 operating system.

The lack of the facility - which had been in every previous version since Windows 95 - has been one of the most controversial aspects of the software.

However, it will not offer all the functionality previously associated with the feature.

Instead it will bring users to the recently-introduced "Metro" interface.
Somebody really seems needing to take it upon him to take that Metro thing and push it very deeply in their lower bottom before they will consider to learn what the messages of customers try to tell them.

It's not good for business if a company does not offer what people want. It does not really get better if instead it tries to force them to accept what they do not want. Nobody can tell me that the massive drop in notebook and PC sales and producers' explicit refusal to produce W8-based hardware (which they make complaints by customers responsible for) is just because of booming tablets. Tablets do not replace PCs currently, not even notebooks. Microsoft's surface Pro, by all what I read on it, combines the worst of both tablets AND notebooks, another of these needless hybrids that fail in bringing two things together. The early sales numbers are not singing the hymn of enthusiasm, to put it mildly. It'S seems to be reasonably fast, but it is heavy, and overpriced, and reviewers find it to be too weak in battery performance.

With W8 and these latest hardware accidents, Microsoft displays a case of completely hopeless arrogance, imo. Maybe they just should skip on revolutionary hardware technology development by themselves. The number of major projects that they managed to sink over the past 20 years or so just demonstrates that they just cannot do it and do not know these acts. Designing a mouse, is one thing. Designing a new hardware architecture for a major computing device - that is something different. If you want to use Surface Pro as a notebook, buy a notebook instead. If you want to use it as a super-heavy tablet, better buy a tablet instead.
Old 06-08-13, 04:05 PM   #11
sidslotm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Dam this gets confusing, sooooo, if you were to buy a new operating system which would it be.

Reason, I'm still using XP on this machine and have contemplated an upgrade this year.
Old 06-08-13, 04:15 PM   #12
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidslotm View Post
Dam this gets confusing, sooooo, if you were to buy a new operating system which would it be.

Reason, I'm still using XP on this machine and have contemplated an upgrade this year.
I'd use Windows 7. There are an increasing number here using Win8 successfully with sims and mods, and they're seemingly happy with it, but I'm not one with any desires to move from such a relatively polished OS as 7.

In case I didn't make it clear 7 is my choice.
Old 06-09-13, 06:06 AM   #13
DragonRider
Predator of the sea

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
I'd use Windows 7. There are an increasing number here using Win8 successfully with sims and mods, and they're seemingly happy with it, but I'm not one with any desires to move from such a relatively polished OS as 7.

In case I didn't make it clear 7 is my choice.

Yes I understand what you are saying and somewhat agree with it. However with all
The free add-ons you can now get Windows 8 has now the same look and feel as
Windows 7.
And some may say with the added bonus of an apps screen but I’m not one although
I do sometimes take time to play around with it.
Also Windows 8 will run your programs faster than 7 this may be due to the fact it
Don’t add any not needed items when installing so if an older programme needs
Some program from “yesteryear” then Windows 8 will ask if you wish to install needed files.
So it is improving all the time I myself use Windows 8 at this time with a couple
of enhancement programs running.
DragonRider is offline   Reply With Quote