Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 12-19-09, 09:56 AM   #1
Lieste
Soundman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Volhov and Neva complexes simulation.

I posted a thread about this over on the tanksim board, as they are well... land based systems. OTOH their purpose is to deny airspace to hostile aircraft, so I'm reposting here to catch some of those who don't follow the land board.

http://sites.google.com/site/samsimulator1972/home

Simulation of S75M3 Volhoz (SA2E Guideline) and S125M1 (SA3B Goa) surface to air complexes - IADS, local search radar, tracking radar, launch systems and reloads.

No 3d world, so no optical channel, graphics requires a fixed resolution of 1280*1024, so may not work with some LCD panels or (very) old CRT.

Currently a free download, so worth a look if only for giggles.

The youtube videos are good for basic use of the system (S75 only so far), and are slightly easier to understand than the manual (mostly due to there being a lot of submodes, switch functions and other stuff scattered over the 3-4 control panels).
I've got to the point where I can reliably splash two aircraft from a multi-plane formation in two engagements, regardless of altitude, speed or jamming with the IADS functioning, and one or two with manual search and designation of targets. Running out of ready to fire missiles is a big problem, as you only have two 'engagements' worth of missiles in an S75 battalion ready to fire, and another two on reload trucks (3 missiles per target). The S125 is slightly better, with 8 'engagements' worth on the 4 quad firing vehicles, and a similar number on the reload trucks (2 missiles per target).
Crew workload is fairly high, but made much less so with the use of the 1980's addition of an IADS for missile/radar cueing.
Lieste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-09, 10:15 AM   #2
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

This has also been put up on Rock, Paper, Shotgun. A good games news website which is always worth checking out:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009...or/#more-22906

I'm going to have a look and see what it's like being on the giving end rather than the receiving end for once
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-09, 10:59 AM   #3
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

Interesting.

My father was a SAM-operator (Well, a Hawk battery, so probably not the same as the Soviet systems), wonder if he would find any of this familiar.
Old 12-20-09, 02:33 PM   #4
Lieste
Soundman

First go at one of the Cairo missions - the higher altitude intruders from the North East turn away as soon as they detect the radar locking them up, so I was detected - their recce mission was a success, and my SAM battalion pinpointed, but it cost them two aircraft in less than a minute.

There is no IADS for target cueing, so the search is manual using the P18 radar, as is picking out a target from within the four ship formation once it was identified. Five missiles expended in two engagements both of which were successful. Although I locked a third target the predicted range exceeded the low level kinematic range of the missile in 'K' guidance mode.
Old 12-20-09, 04:37 PM   #5
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

Well I can't play it as I can't do 1280X1024 on my 19" widescreen

I can get 1280x768 as the max.
Old 12-20-09, 04:43 PM   #6
Lieste
Soundman

It will probably get variable resolutions at some point. I'll try and keep an eye on the development with that in mind.
Old 12-20-09, 05:09 PM   #7
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

I sent them an e-mail

Hope they take notice.
Old 12-22-09, 11:59 AM   #8
Kazuaki Shimazaki II
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieste View Post
No 3d world, so no optical channel, graphics requires a fixed resolution of 1280*1024, so may not work with some LCD panels or (very) old CRT.

Currently a free download, so worth a look if only for giggles.
It is worth paying for. Now, all they need is to:
1) Make the game somehow run on something like 1280x800 - as I said on the other board I'll scroll - it can't be that much of a pain considering how many buttons there already are.
2) They are including the SA-4. Now I don't expect them to include a SA-10 or SA-11 (just so we can appreciate the difference), but a SA-6 or SA-8 might be fun...
Kazuaki Shimazaki II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-09, 02:10 PM   #9
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Only worth paying for if they support otehr resolutions.

As it is it is unplayable for me. Hopefully they will incorporate this. I hate it when developers can get so pigheaded about what is a small detail because they think in their world it shoudl be so.
Old 12-31-09, 05:13 PM   #10
Lieste
Soundman

v0.915 (31.12.2009 Current version)
Includes the situation of Hanoi (Linebacker-II raid 19.12.1972.), with B-52's, Wild Weasel's, and SR-71.
Target acquisition radar display range can be selected between 90-180-360km.
Corrected several minor issues. (invisible ground targets, ground targets out of destruction zone, switching to I87V while range tracking)
Missile g limit is reduced to the realistic level.
Jamming burn-through is implemented.
Wartime scenario pre-mission briefing maps added.

Download links on the product's page.
The next subversion, .916 is to include AAR and Libya '86 missions. Unfortunately still no news of flexible resolutions, but they are desireable.