Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 02-22-13, 07:23 AM   #31
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 7

My pc runs silent hunter 5 and would definatly run fsx no problems however I don't think I have a quad core I know I e got something like 1.5 tb memory and ram or something as you can tell I'm not up on computers I know I have a touch screen windows 8 Nd I think it's a hp computer il figure out how to get the specs and see if they match so excuse me if I ask some basic dumb questions in the next few days

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-13, 07:31 AM   #32
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

1.5 TB memory.

FSX is more CPU than GPU dependent. How it is with P3D, I cannot say. Better ask that at Avsim forums, probably.
Old 02-22-13, 11:37 AM   #33
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Operating system
Windows® 7 Home Premium 64
Processors
AMD A8-3800 with HyperTransport Technology
• 2.4 GHz
Processor technology
with HyperTransport Technology
Chipset
AMD A75
MemoryMemory, standard
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Memory slots
2 SODIMM
StorageHard drive description
2 TB SATA (7200 rpm)
Optical drive
Slim Slot Blu-ray Drive
GraphicsGraphics
AMD Radeon HD 6550A (2 GB dedicated)
Display
20” diagonal widescreen HD LED backlit
Expansion featuresPorts
4 USB 2.0
2 USB 3.0
1 Microphone
1 Headphone
Memory card device
6-in-1 memory card reader
Media devicesRemote control
HP Media Center Remote Control
TV tuner
HP TV Tuner Mini PCIe Card
Webcam
Integrated webcam
Audio features
Stereo Sound
Input devicesKeyboard
HP Wireless Kit Opal Beats/NElara/Dongle [OpalBeatsNElara]
CommunicationsNetwork interface
Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
Wireless
Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n featuring Single-band (2.4Ghz) 1x1
Dimensions and WeightWeight
11.69 kg
Minimum dimensions (W x D x H)
21.7 x 58.05 x 45.74 cm
What's includedWarranty
1 year limited (1 year parts, 1 year onsite) warranty with up-and-running phone support for first 30 days
Software included
HP LinkUP
HP TouchSmart Suite 4.0
Norton Internet Security 2012 with 60 days subscription
Recovery CD Creator
Hard Drive based Application Recovery for reinstallation of applications and drivers
Hard Drive based System Recovery with option to keep user data files intact
Preloaded Help & Support Center (with online product updates from hp)
Microsoft® Windows Live Applications
Microsoft® Internet Explorer
Microsoft® Office Starter 2010

this is what I have the only difference being mine runs windows 8 not windows 7 and the gpu and fsu thingy what on earth is that? I don't even understand what im reading here let alone abbreviations im not technically literate I rarely use a PC only for certain things at work.

Last edited by Kapitan; 02-22-13 at 11:39 AM. Reason: added extra content didnt want to take another post
Old 02-22-13, 11:48 AM   #34
Skybird
Soaring

CPU, GPU and RAM look okay. But I cannot comment on what W8 means for FSX or P3D, I do not like W8, I do not use it and I do not plan to get close friend with it.

For the sophisticated virtual cockpits of PMDG, TrackIR is highly recommended. I even consider it to be a must have - before pedals. Else ergonomy in accessing different parts of the panels can become extremely annoying. Dedicated 2D panels like you know from FS9 are not eveninlcuded in some modern modules anymore.
Old 02-22-13, 02:48 PM   #35
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

always wanted track IR but never got round to buying it

I am a big fan of the virtual cockpit not the whole 2D thing only use that for close up when I need to push buttons.

What sort of flights do you do on your fs?

Old 02-22-13, 06:04 PM   #36
Skybird
Soaring

I plan them via flightplanner software and by using paper charts as well, Aerosoft publishes their sceneries often with hardprint booklets with Jeppesens or such. I only use major airports I have special sceneries for, around three dozen destinations across Europe, and over distances so that between top of climb and top of descent there usually are not more than 15-20 minutes of time with nothing to do. It is not interesting to fly for hours on travel altitude, and doing nothing. I calculate 20 minutes flight and fuel planning, 15-20 minutes cockpit preparation, boarding, taxing, 40-60 minutes of flying until taxiing at destination again. Rarely I do longer flioghts of 2 hours duration or so. I exclusively fly from and towards addon airports focussing on Europe. I also use area scenery for the Balearic Islands and Iceland, online weather, and weather and environment texture replacements. I do not waste system resources for other ground-imrpooving addons, becasue at 30000 feet I do not see that anyway. But addon airports are important and add tremendously to the experience, since then you are close to the ground or on the ground for sure. This, and a visually good weather simulation are musts for me.

In FS9, I even used the 747 and 767 for short flights only, that is unrealistic, I know, but the sim allows to do so, and flying over the Atlantic for 8 hours does not hold any attraction for me. With the JS4100 and 737 however, the distances that I fly are perfectly matched.

My network of serviced destinations:

Last edited by Skybird; 02-22-13 at 06:16 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-13, 07:52 PM   #37
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

I see so short haul kinda guy which is fair play in fact you gain more experience in the real world doing short haul then long haul hence why airlines tend to start you on turbo prop or small regional jets.

BA fly 767 on short routes EGLL-EDDF EGLL-ESSA longest "short" they do is EGLL-LTBA 3hours 55minuets of course they also fly the long ones mainly USA east coast and carribean.

I work my flights by the amount of time I have although still using FS9 I do still have the good old feel there 737 and fly the -400 I also fly the 767-300 (level D) I don't fly much else other than these might every once in a while do a Airbus route.

My flights are all IFR and pre planned by BAv using the real airline routes (BA virtual is recognised by the real BA themselves hence why I joined) currently using AIRAC cycle 1302 just done a flight EGLL-ESSA-EGLL in total 5 hours for the whole lot.

When I used to fly the trans atlantic and other longer routes I used to play DW on my laptop which is when I realised its not fun for me no more hence the two years I gave it up.

I have in my scenary collection EGLL EGKK EHAM and EDDF mega airport add on and yes like you I fly in and out of these a lot.

What weather sceanry do you use? and should I hold off getting anything else till I get prepar3d? and also what would be your best opinion on addons for prepar3d? as I like 777 clasics and 767 737 aircraft these are my top 3.

Also Gatwick is a good one to have a lot of euro stuff does go in and out of Gatwick so maybe worth while getting that scenary I do have it for FS9 and its good.

Also whats that map you have do you use anything like FSbuilds for your flight plans?

And my last one is do you have an I phone?

Last edited by Kapitan; 02-22-13 at 07:54 PM. Reason: added content that i forgot about in my old age
Old 02-23-13, 08:27 AM   #38
Skybird
Soaring

I do not care for updating my AIRAC cycles, because for the experience in the sim it is unimportant whether my next waypoint is called DW107 or DX111. What counts is that the database in my FMC,in my FSX and in my flight planner are synchronized, so that any data in the one also is present in the other databases.

I use Flight Sim Commander 9.2.

I use Active Sky Evolution to dynamically download METAR files. I use REX2 for weather and cloud texture replacements, randomising it every two or three flights. I use to cycle dawn, day and sunset launch times.

If you plan to go for P3D, do not buy any addons instead maybe the PMDG. Get P3D, and see how much reserves you are being left with after having installed the aircraft(s) of your choice. The tweaks and tips for setting up FSX, probably are void in P3D, so you must ask others for advice on that, since I do not have P3D.

My own, subjective preferences for addons would be in this order:
1. Aircraft
2. Weather
3. Airport scenery
4. General scenery (thinks like GTX or UTX)

The aircraft, because that is what a flightsim is about. The weather because I am always confronted with he sights of it, low or high, fast or slow, it does not matter. The airports: because I am low to the ground when I take off and land, also, taxiing and approach add tremendously to the experience of immersion. General scenery last only, because that is what I take the smallest note of. In IFR flying, you do not see the pretty stuff of low-flying VFR, you are too high. Nevertheless the calculation puts stress on the system - what for if you cannot see it anyway? Better keep those resources free for something more useful.

Add your mods step by step, to see how much resources you still have available on your system.

As on aircrafts you should chose, most addons are said to be able to be made compatible with P3D. Many developers like Aerosoft have started to release dedicated installers as well. But do not count on FS9 aircraft running on P3D. The compatability is between FSX and P3D. Be aware that the flagship addons are really complex, and so much better than most others, so that they will keep your hands busy, really. I know the level-d 767 and PMDG 747 for FS9, I had them. But they do not compare, really. I used to fly several different airliners in fS9. In FSX, I only fly the 737NGX and the JS41. You do not need more to be in heaven, really. So wait until you see what these give you, or the upcoming 777, and then re-assess whether you really need a bigger collection. I have bought more planes, yes, but they all are smaller ones, GA-type. In the screenshot threat I posted many pictures, and some other threads deal with my Turbine Duke and Lancair Legacy separately, both by RealAir. The Cheyenne by Digital Aviation also is a good choice, still, after these many years. The FMC and CDU functikionbality in the 737NGX is simulated in almost complete functionality - that alone will keep you busy. It does not compoare to the simplified models you know from the Level D 767 and PMDG 747, they are simplified and leave out a lot of stuff. in the 737NGX, it all is there, functions you have never seen in the FMCs you know, not as dummy switches, but being functional. So just let it rest, get P3D, get the 777 or 737NGX then, and then see and take a breath. You do not need that many planes anymore, really.

No iPhone over here. Don't need it, don't want it, don't like it. I would rather buy a living pet than an iPhone. I sometimes switch on my Samsung E1150 in sexy ruby-red, but that happens rarely only.

Last edited by Skybird; 02-23-13 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-23-13, 05:37 PM   #39
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Well taking from all that what my plan will be quite simply P3D PMDG737 and 777 il buy the lot when the 777 is released, after that some airport addons and also weather.

My theory is the following: sometimes I only have time to do a short flight so the 737 would be perfect and BA uses them, however sometimes I do have time to do long flights and I like twin engine aircraft so the 777 is the best for me. so im thinking they will probably be the only 2 aircraft addons il buy then it will mainly be airports and weather.

The reason I fly the level D 767 mainly is because I do have PSS 777 but don't think much of it the 767 does give me more.

Just wondering if your E1150 still runs on coal ? or have you upgraded it to oil fired now?

I do have an I phone and I have 3 apps on there that are perfect for FS which are FS calc which does all the fuel calculations FS winds gives you wind info and also desent calc which gives you a good desent profile calculation.

Thanks for all the advice skybird its been a great help.

Old 02-23-13, 07:28 PM   #40
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitan View Post
My theory is the following: sometimes I only have time to do a short flight so the 737 would be perfect and BA uses them, however sometimes I do have time to do long flights and I like twin engine aircraft so the 777 is the best for me.
I fly the 737-600, 700, 800 and 900, as the original topic said. The 900 is certified for ER. One can fly it all across europe, if wanted, and open ocean. Depending on configuration and series, the range varies between 3800 and 7200 miles. The 900 is one quarter longer in length and can have almost twice as many passengers than the 600.

Quote:
The reason I fly the level D 767 mainly is because I do have PSS 777 but don't think much of it the 767 does give me more.
Expect to start thinking in different dimensions once you met Mr. 737NGX. the 747 and 767 for FS9 cannot keep up with it.

Quote:
Just wondering if your E1150 still runs on coal ? or have you upgraded it to oil fired now?
I simply do not need mobile communication, anmd I hate the idea to be available around the clock for just everybody, everywhere. Nothing worse than to sit in the woods and enjoying time, myself and nature, and then some stupid phone call comes in. The E1150 does what it should: allow me to call from underway if an emergency or important thing shows up. It has a good sound quality and very long standing time. Plus the construction looks really sexy, in silver or in red. For my taste it still is one of the best looking phones on the market.

And it has a cheap price. No way I will ever pay hundreds of Euros for a smartphone - and every two or three years a new one, since the battery or something else is failing.

Honestly said, I think the whole telephone market is just nuts and insane. And most people using these things, have little interesting things to say, which makes it even worse. But worst of course is the combination of cellphone plus female, because females talk just for the sake of talking. All day long. And on. And on.

I have a 15 Euro Prepaid card. Usually I get a new one every two years or so. That desperately I need a cellphone, you see.

I tell you what, my home phone (wire) is black-listed. One day I just got so pissed to be called several times per week for advetising, lottery games and some super-important polling, that I blocked all incoming numbers. From then on, only numbers I have marked for access, can get through: telephones of my family, friends, and the city, which allows local offices, doctor, craftsmen calling back and such to reach me. The rest of the world is out. It is very peaceful again over here. I love it. And every telephone ring is sounding friendly, becasue I know for sure it is a close friend or family, not just anyone calling because he is bored and I should entertain him. The service costs me three Euros per months, but its worth it to me. Considering that I pay money for not taking damage to my privacy, it nevertheless is a wrong situation, but I cannot help to cure the bads of the world on the fly.
Quote:
Thanks for all the advice skybird its been a great help.

Last edited by Skybird; 02-23-13 at 07:39 PM.