SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-11-17, 07:00 AM   #1
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275
Uploads: 0
Support Action Camera

Hi all

Is there a way to activate the event camera after I have started a campaign? I need to check what is going on with my torps! See the picture below;

As you can see my fish ran straight through the target, dud you might say, nope else it would have just bounced off. Too deep you might say, nope surface runner depth set @ 2m. I know about the depth keeping problems but really ! Tankers draught is 10.4 I have tried impact,magnetic and all depths from 2m to 11.4m always the same thing. It's almost like the ship is a ghost, thing is there are three in this convoy and I'm getting the same thing on all three targets.

I'm hoping to turn on event cam and see if the fish runs below or just straight thru the target. Any help much appreciated. Sorry should have mentioned, using Type I torps.

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

Last edited by Fubar2Niner; 02-11-17 at 07:14 AM. Reason: correction
Fubar2Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-17, 07:24 AM   #2
Von Due
Sea Lord

Downloads: 30

Just to be clear: These are vanilla game tankers, right?
Von Due is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-17, 07:36 AM   #3
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

MFM is enabled so I'm not 100% if they are IABL's or vanilla. Displacement correction is enabled too.

Best regards

Fubar
Old 02-11-17, 07:48 AM   #4
Von Due
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar2Niner View Post
MFM is enabled so I'm not 100% if they are IABL's or vanilla. Displacement correction is enabled too.

Best regards

Fubar
If these are MFM tankers then I'm afraid the listed values in the rec. manual for draught, length, everything and all the things are pulled out of a hat and not at all relevant to anything in game. For all you know, that ship could have a draught of 2 meters.

Only way to check the MFM ships that I am aware of, that will not take decades, is to line them up in a custom made mission and fire Germany's entire annual torpedo production at them, making notes of all misses.

Unless you merely want to verify that the torpedo goes under of course in which case the event camera would work wonders. Well then, as for your original question, enabling the event camera could possibly be achieved by editing one of the game files to set the camera to true.
Old 02-11-17, 07:58 AM   #5
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Thanks for the reply mate, another spanner in the works, just took out 2 T1OB tankers in the same convoy no problem, maybe it's just the Medium Tankers that suffer this problem?

Best regards.

Fubar
Old 02-11-17, 08:32 AM   #6
Von Due
Sea Lord

Now I'm intrigued. First, If these were vanilla tankers then this is very odd indeed. Second, I had no idea there was a displacement mod for MFM. Downloaded now. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 02-11-17, 08:52 AM   #7
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I think that the .zon file is empty.
Old 02-11-17, 08:57 AM   #8
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Running tests, so far I've not been able to get the camera working. Trying again.

Fubar
Old 02-11-17, 09:14 AM   #9
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Default Action Camera: Results

Still can't get the camera working despite editing everything I can find re "event camera", however tracked the torp using free camera and it seems the bloody thing refuses to run on the surface

Tests continue this time torp set at 0 m. RESULTS INCONCLUSIVE: Torps will not run less than 1m, however they look more like 8-9 m to me.

Will try mag fuse set at 1m. RESULTS 4 fish salvo fired @1m depth, med speed, mag fuse. All four fish passed under the medium tanker between the forward superstructure and the funnel. No detonations, it seems the medium tanker is invincible

Fubar

Last edited by Fubar2Niner; 02-11-17 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-11-17, 10:22 AM   #10
Von Due
Sea Lord

Are you insinuating that SH3 has bugs in it?

Old 02-11-17, 10:27 AM   #11
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

As if
Old 02-11-17, 11:24 AM   #12
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar2Niner View Post
Still can't get the camera working despite editing everything I can find re "event camera", however tracked the torp using free camera and it seems the bloody thing refuses to run on the surface
To change parameters in a campaign you need to go to the Single Missions page. Click 'Change Realism'. Click 'Event Camera' and save it. Any changes you make there will apply to the entire game.
Old 02-11-17, 11:48 AM   #13
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Thanks for the heads up Steve, that is one I will remember

Best regards.

Fubar
Old 02-17-17, 09:21 PM   #14
Von Due
Sea Lord

If you ever found out what on earth is up with these ships, I would be very interested in knowing about it.

Just had one of the torpedos traveling clean through a destroyer. Depth 2 meters, draught 3.4 meters. No clonk, no explosions, not even a tiny *poof*, just the trail exiting the other side to continue on its merry way.

This destroyer was from the destroyer pack, so not stock but if that boat has a draught less than 2 meters then that is an inflatable life raft, not a sizeable ship.

Might as well add: Weather was splendid, no wind at all, clear skies. Torpedo was a G7a, date June 1940 (if that matters).
Old 02-18-17, 06:48 AM   #15
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Due View Post
If you ever found out what on earth is up with these ships, I would be very interested in knowing about it.

Just had one of the torpedos traveling clean through a destroyer. Depth 2 meters, draught 3.4 meters. No clonk, no explosions, not even a tiny *poof*, just the trail exiting the other side to continue on its merry way.

This destroyer was from the destroyer pack, so not stock but if that boat has a draught less than 2 meters then that is an inflatable life raft, not a sizeable ship.

Might as well add: Weather was splendid, no wind at all, clear skies. Torpedo was a G7a, date June 1940 (if that matters).
Never did discover what caused the problem mate after trying 3 different Medium Tankers in the same convoy, using different torp depths, speeds and fuses, many, many times, and from different angles. I always got the same result, exactly as you discribe and as my s/s shows. Took out 2 T10B in the same convoy without a hitch

Hope you might find something mate, if you do, clue us all in

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner