Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-31-17, 05:31 AM   #1
Stewy1
Girt by Sea

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 34

Default How do you sink an Alfa?

Hey guys - quick question.

I just set up a basic scenario where I was in a Flt 1 688 and went up against an Alfa in the Black Sea.

I launched (twice) a good spread of torps, from about 7,500 yds (good enable range)- but the Alfa outran them all.

When I tried to 'steer' the torps onto the Alfa, they mysteriously 'ran out of fuel' when they got close...(show truth showed this too)

I was quiet (2-3 knots) and he was belting around at 14 knots - whenever he turned at me, he'd 'turn away' just as I was about to get another shot in.

Have you guys every 'bagged' an Alfa? What's the secret?

Thanks heaps,
Stew
Stewy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-17, 08:36 AM   #2
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

It's been awhile since I played, but instead of firing a spread of torpedoes, try to bracket the Alpha, force him to turn to avoid the first torpedo, putting him into the path of the second, third or even 4th. As I recall Alphas tend to be predictable, they drop a decoy, turn to keep the decoy between itself and the torpedo then go to flank speed.

Basically, you want to put 2 torpedoes out front of the alpha before they go active, that will force her to turn into your sub, taking away the Alpha's speed advantage. follow through with 1 or 2 more mk48's and the Alpha has nowhere to go. You'll find that wire guiding the torpedoes offers a better chance of a kill, just don't get so fixated on killing the Alpha that the other assets in the area slip into your blind spot and sink you. I've had it happen a few times.
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-17, 08:56 AM   #3
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Or get even closer Once the torpedo starts snaking, it's going to effectively lose some of its speed and range because of the snake pattern.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-17, 09:38 AM   #4
Steiger
Planesman

Downloads: 20

Get close, then go active and flank, he'll spam the sea full of torpedoes. Go evasive until his own torpedoes pick him up and sink him.
Old 09-04-17, 10:15 PM   #5
Stewy1
Girt by Sea

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiger View Post
Get close, then go active and flank, he'll spam the sea full of torpedoes. Go evasive until his own torpedoes pick him up and sink him.
I'm not sure the US Navy would agree with that as a viable tactic, mate
Stewy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-17, 05:04 AM   #6
succerpunch
Torpedoman

Downloads: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiger View Post
I approve of this method.
Old 10-25-17, 08:18 PM   #7
CaptainCruise
Eternal Patrol

Location: Long Island, New York...home of the 5 gallon economy bucket of "Cruiser's Crunchy Egg Salad"!!!
Downloads: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
Or get even closer Once the torpedo starts snaking, it's going to effectively lose some of its speed and range because of the snake pattern.

That would be true, but if you steered the torp so it ran straight after it enabled, wouldn't it outrun the Alfa and eventually catch it? I know the Alfa can do about 42kts, but the Mk48 ADCAP runs close to or a bit over 50kts at attack speed, doesn't it? I've KIA'ed Alfa's before and I know you do have to get the torp kinda close to the sub. If you enable it too early and it has to make a long high speed run, then you risk running out of fuel.

The only other thing I can think of is if you try to catch up to the Alfa with the Mk48 running at pre-enable speed before you go active on the torp. Is the 48 slower at running to enable speed?

"CC"

edit.....
***The ADCAP runs at 50kts pre-enabled, and 55kts or better at attack speed, which should be plenty to catch an Alfa. Just watch your fuel and plan the shot***

Last edited by CaptainCruise; 10-30-17 at 09:11 PM.
CaptainCruise is offline   Reply With Quote