SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-25-17, 02:13 PM   #1
roguehk
Nub

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0
Default when can we get nuclear weapons that work?

anyone working on any? i'm only asking not trying to step on ppl that do mods.. i have no time to do this ugggg
roguehk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-17, 02:20 PM   #2
Wiz33
Navy Dude

Downloads: 23

Why oh why????
Wiz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-17, 03:01 PM   #3
Napalm42
Watch

Downloads: 63

I believe Killerfish has stated they have no plans to develop nuclear-payload weapons.
Napalm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-17, 07:02 PM   #4
krashd
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz33 View Post
Why oh why????
Incase we have to pass GIBRAAHLTAAH!
krashd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-17, 07:50 PM   #5
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 1

One thread or other was debating adding the ASTOR along with a game over if used...
Capt Jack Harkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-17, 09:55 PM   #6
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

Amazon for the better ones. Ebay, well check their selling score before hand.

Good luck!
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-17, 11:01 PM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

krashd! & welcome back roguehk ! after a six year silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-17, 05:03 PM   #8
roguehk
Nub

Downloads: 10

I for one would like to go through all the procedures for launch. i think it'd be a challenge to do with a hunter killer on your tail
roguehk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 02:30 AM   #9
Mitchmaker
Sonar Operator

Downloads: 71

well it would be a rellativ ridiculous mission, but i like to imagine that when i screw up the campaign i would suddenly get an alarm message in wich the president of the united states ordered a nuclear strike against the soviet union and then i would have to do all the procedures necessary to launch the missiles. so just a fantasy.

but in case we get a pre war mission or campaign in the future it would be a nice idea to sneak through enemy lines to the pole and conduct a missle test to show power...
Old 07-27-17, 03:32 AM   #10
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguehk View Post
I for one would like to go through all the procedures for launch. i think it'd be a challenge to do with a hunter killer on your tail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchmaker View Post
well it would be a rellativ ridiculous mission, but i like to imagine that when i screw up the campaign i would suddenly get an alarm message in wich the president of the united states ordered a nuclear strike against the soviet union and then i would have to do all the procedures necessary to launch the missiles. so just a fantasy.

but in case we get a pre war mission or campaign in the future it would be a nice idea to sneak through enemy lines to the pole and conduct a missle test to show power...
Without stations and open-able missile hatches and the like it would probably be pretty bland. Honestly I think it would be more fun stopping a launch vs. starting one, and you could have all sorts of "fun" trying to survive a Mk 45 detonation.

Still though again for game purposes I can see why the devs don't go down this route, even if fully implemented (Soviet and American nuclear weapons) you'd have massively (relative to everything else) over-powered weapons which would bring equally over-powered retaliation, until all meaning is lost.
Old 07-27-17, 04:49 AM   #11
Mitchmaker
Sonar Operator

Downloads: 71

i wouldn't like the idea of nuclear torpedos either but but the whole weaponstest thing sound interesting to me or as some kind of endgame or single mission. i'd like to see the player learn about the destructive power cruising the seven seas everyday. but thats just my opinion, i can understand you concern, nuclear weapons would make any war action in the middle of the scenario pointless.
Old 07-27-17, 06:27 AM   #12
cj95
Lieutenant

Downloads: 141

Just my 2 cents....but if you are trying to launch missiles with a HK on your tail, you have already lost.

I'm pretty sure most Boomers would be nowhere near an active shooting war zone. ie the GIUK gap.

The Soviets are going to be sitting quietly under the ice packs, and US boats are in some deep dark hole of silence well away from the shooting.

>> USS TEXAS BB-35 Restoration CrewMember <<
cj95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 07:06 AM   #13
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj95 View Post
Just my 2 cents....but if you are trying to launch missiles with a HK on your tail, you have already lost.

I'm pretty sure most Boomers would be nowhere near an active shooting war zone. ie the GIUK gap.

The Soviets are going to be sitting quietly under the ice packs, and US boats are in some deep dark hole of silence well away from the shooting.
Yup, and I'm sure its not talked about very much but I think that in that case, if the Boomer has a launch order, his job is to get as many missiles off as he can while he's still alive.

As far as boomer patrol locations, well it depends on when you are talking about. By 1968 the vast majority of the fleet (including all the early GW and Ethan Allen class boats) would have been running Polaris A3 (2500 mile range) which would put them a healthy distance away from the GIUK gap. At that point a few of the newer Lafayettes (which hadn't yet gone through their first refit) were likely still carrying A2 Polaris (which as far as I know was put out to pasture in 74) which at 1500 miles would necessitate patrols inside the Norwegian Sea. This is just a guess on my part but, I would think that they would have probably put those boats in the Med which would probably be safer vs trying to keep a boomer on station in a war-zone, but that could make for a nice hide-and-seek mission. By 84 though, you'd just have Tridents brings them even further away from the fighting.

As for the Soviet boats, you'd have the crazy North American patrols taken by the Yankees and Hotels (also Golf class SSBs) off the eastern seaboard. If accounts are to be believed, they'd be very well known due to SOSUS and probably be intercepted before even reaching station but that doesn't mean they wouldn't try. After 1970 you have the Delta Is come on line, which is a game-changer because they hardly have to leave the Barents Sea to be in range to launch. I've always thought that the Ice made for good hiding but I have my doubts whether they'd go for the polynya launch as it would make them a lot easier to localize (only X number of places they could get to the surfaced and launch from vs. anywhere on the open sea.)
Old 07-31-17, 11:57 AM   #14
GravityWave
Mate

Downloads: 25

Other than some fancy graphics, what is the purpose? Maybe 'destroy' a port or many ports. I suppose their may be some point in understanding ranging issues, but I'm not aware of the point. If its not on a missile, why? Now nuclear mines for port protection, that I understand. But again, just graphics.
GravityWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-17, 05:29 AM   #15
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napalm42 View Post
I believe Killerfish has stated they have no plans to develop nuclear-payload weapons.
ridiculous
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote