SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-21-17, 04:35 PM   #1
McDeath
Nub

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0
radar How to get all ships on map?

Ok i believe i need some help as Im not sure to go about this but for sh3 there is a spysat mod that displays ships on the map i want to do the same thing for sh4 but if you change the contacts cfg nothing happens and i also want this to work with tmo2.5 and rsrd as i have those installed and i attempted to change the radar range its a sim file but dont work i was going to go into the 41 taskforce mis 42 etc and try to add a event for intelligence but havent had any luck i mean i already made the gatos and balao have 180+6 torps fore and 60+4 aft. these fishies need a home...and i want to crush the IJN i just would like military ship to be shown on the map even if i have to edit the mission files for the single player camp...i think that this is possible any help would be welcomed (sorry about grammer punctuation and spelling) or someone could help me in to geting the radar ranges to work past 21kmi some how all airbases show up...
McDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-17, 06:36 PM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

It's not possible in SH4. One of the big improvements in SH4 is that not all ships in the known universe are generated at once. Only ships inside a spawning radius of your boat are real.

Outside of that there is a potential distribution of ships specified, but they do not exist. If you know anything about Shrodinger's Cat then you understand. SH4 does not clutter your computer RAM up with ships you can't interact with soon. All other ships exist and do not exist at the same time. They are mathematical abstractions, not useless data.

The best you can do is edit the missions files. Propbeanie and s7rikeback are the experts here.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-17, 01:46 AM   #3
McDeath
Nub

well that sucks cant be dead and alive at the same time unless its a paradox lol is it possible if i edit every group from ??% to 100% chance of spawn and then add a 48 hour repeat on it then or would that mess anything up as they have 0 for repeat oh and thanks for the reply
Old 07-22-17, 02:20 AM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

You can use the SH4 Mission Editor (Sh4MissionEditor.exe) and start opening all the files for a given timeframe. You would start with opening the first one with "File" "Open (Normal Mission)". Choose the file to open, such as Data / Campaigns / Campaign / 41a_JapCoastalTraffic.mis. From there on you would use "File" and "Merge..." which then brings up a dialog. Be sure the "Mark merged data as saveable" tick box is EMPTY. You do NOT want to save the info, else you will merge all of the files together, and then have an SH3-style install in SH4... Anyway, click on "OK" and it'll take back to the file Open dialog, and then you can choose the 41a_Jap_Convoys.mis file. Work your way on down the 41a files, and stop. Zoom in on the map to an area that interests you, and you can sort-of see where the groups go. This will not tell you anything about what is in each group, nor it's details about spawn rate... Probably not anywhere near what you were after...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-17, 08:03 AM   #5
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Or use a text editor like Notepad++ on all .mis files in the Silent Hunter 4\Data\Campaigns\Campaign folders and modify each ReportPosProbability= (percentage likelihood of being shown) and ReportPosMin= ( plotting interval) line. I think that is how the SH3 Spy satelite mod did it.

That should show each lone unit contact, or group units. They just exist in a 2d world as moving at a certain speed. They aren't 3d objects yet. I'm not sure if they interact with eachother when you are not there yet. The individual units in groups only come into existence once the group enters into your rendering range.

Last edited by Pisces; 07-22-17 at 08:23 AM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-17, 09:04 PM   #6
McDeath
Nub

hey thanks you guys didnt know about the merge and never tried a mis with a text editor but in the mission editor if you right click on a group you can go to group properties and change the % and even the speed and respawn repeat in hours and if you right click it and chose define group contents you can add ships remove ships make rows for a task force or a convoy.
Old 07-22-17, 09:23 PM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

McDeath!After a considerable silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-17, 09:55 PM   #8
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

That is correct McDeath. What Pisces suggests is what you would see show up on your nav map in-game, as a little square with a tail, that if you click on it would then show you something like "Small Task Force, heading 178, speed slow". You control the odds of that happening, and how "old" the reports would be. In most cases though, that is a text editor chore, unless a group happens to already have it added.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-17, 07:50 AM   #9
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Sure, using the mission editor works also. But I would expect that to need a lot more mouse movement and clicking. And risking changing other values when doing it wrong. With text editing it is just Ctrl-F and replace the value as needed. Errors can still be made ofcourse. Make sure you have backups of the campaign files.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-17, 07:20 PM   #10
McDeath
Nub

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/imag...n_Cheers-1.gif Hey thanks guys ill do it with find and replace in notepad++ but right now im really hung over fyi dont mix your drinks