SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-26-17, 10:37 AM   #1
Barkerov
Soundman

Downloads: 42
Uploads: 0
Default I just got killed but no idea how

So I was on patrol in the East china sea, and I get a radar contact which I determine is an aircraft. I dive to 160ft (sea floor is at 231) and travel at 2kts for 10 minutes. Then I make my way to radar depth and suddenly everything is destroyed and the watch crew are all dead.

WTF happened? Did I get bombed? If so 10 minutes from radar contact to eating a depth charge seems like a very long time, usually they are long gone after 10 mins. Was it a mine?

any ideas? I am using RFB and RSRDC. It's September 44 in my game
Barkerov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-17, 11:04 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

East China Sea, dependent upon location, can be crawling with land-based airplanes. Airplane "A" sees your boat and "phones home" and tells all his buddies. They space themselves out, and take turns covering your last known, and potential next location. May well have been Airplane "D" that bombed you... A mine is also not out of the realm of possibility. Did you have a chance to "Save" while dying? If so, do a replay and see what you can see, if you can...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-17, 01:45 PM   #3
LCQ_SH
Lieutenant

Downloads: 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Did you have a chance to "Save" while dying?...

I just laughed out loud!!

LCQ_SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-17, 03:33 PM   #4
propbeanie

- you do it often enough, you come to recognize what's happening as the world is going dark...

Old 05-26-17, 05:02 PM   #5
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkerov View Post
So I was on patrol in the East china sea, and I get a radar contact which I determine is an aircraft. I dive to 160ft (sea floor is at 231) and travel at 2kts for 10 minutes. Then I make my way to radar depth and suddenly everything is destroyed and the watch crew are all dead.

WTF happened? Did I get bombed? If so 10 minutes from radar contact to eating a depth charge seems like a very long time, usually they are long gone after 10 mins. Was it a mine?

any ideas? I am using RFB and RSRDC. It's September 44 in my game

Definitely sounds like a plane got you. Come to scope depth first next time, raise scope and SD radar antenna, check around, all clear, then surface.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-17, 07:47 PM   #6
Barkerov
Soundman

I hadnt reached radar depth yet. I was at 90ft on my way up from 160 when it happened.

I doubt any of the aircraft saw me. I was down soon after I got the radar contact
Old 05-26-17, 08:26 PM   #7
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

In the right conditions, you can be seen from an airplane as deep as 160 feet.
Old 05-27-17, 02:55 AM   #8
Barkerov
Soundman

From what kind of angle are we talking?

In other words, have I been extremely unlucky or careless?
Old 05-27-17, 09:19 AM   #9
propbeanie

Yes... but seriously, in TMO, you can be "seen" down relatively deep on a clear, calm day - but it's only supposed to be if they fly directly over your location. Once you are spotted though, it's rather easy to tell where you're going to be. You going in a set direction, at a set speed, and most likely won't change that very much in the time it takes a plane to turn and come back, or tell his buddies. So, at 3 knots or less, going North, in the ten minutes that passed, the plane probably had a really good fix on your location. Like they say about horse shoes and hand grenades, you only have to be sort-of close with a depth charge drop...

Old 05-27-17, 12:02 PM   #10
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Yes... but seriously, in TMO, you can be "seen" down relatively deep on a clear, calm day - but it's only supposed to be if they fly directly over your location. Once you are spotted though, it's rather easy to tell where you're going to be. You going in a set direction, at a set speed, and most likely won't change that very much in the time it takes a plane to turn and come back, or tell his buddies. So, at 3 knots or less, going North, in the ten minutes that passed, the plane probably had a really good fix on your location. Like they say about horse shoes and hand grenades, you only have to be sort-of close with a depth charge drop...
This is something I'd like to restore in the RSRD version for TMO in later war.Simulate MAD and give planes weapons capable of reaching deeper than only 165 feet. Currently reading "Take Her Deep" again about the Halibut. While have not reached the part concerning "the" attack in November 1944 that left Halibut damaged so terribly it was decided not to repair her, I recall the planes were bombing Halibut at depths greater
than 165.

Planes in RSRD are not much of a threat usually.
Old 05-27-17, 02:24 PM   #11
propbeanie

There is a sort-of WIP MAD simulation that Peabody and keltos01 did several years ago. One version for the USN, another for the IJN. We're still working on the campaign itself, and haven't been able to look into finding and editing that just yet, but we will be. I'll see how "compatible" it would be as a general add-in mod, and then see if keltos01 and / or Peabody want to release it by itself. I've seen it at work, and the planes do pretty well "dog" you until they run out of depth charges... cool stuff... sort-of

Old 05-27-17, 08:08 PM   #12
Vatis1982
Seaman

Downloads: 27

Have you consider the possibility that you have the unlucky privilege of hitting a mine?
It is extremely rare but still a possibility.
Vatis1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-17, 09:12 PM   #13
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatis1982 View Post
Have you consider the possibility that you have the unlucky privilege of hitting a mine?
It is extremely rare but still a possibility.

I was thinking about that as well. So rare though. I've had it happen once first played SH 4 in 2008.
Old 05-28-17, 09:03 AM   #14
Barkerov
Soundman

Quote:
The seas were at 7m/s and I was on my way up when it happened. From his trajectory I would agree he went almost right over the top though. Not sure what I can do differently in future. I could try diving deeper in future if I think they are headed right over the top. Maybe a turn too?
Old 07-11-17, 08:33 PM   #15
Barkerov
Soundman

OK so last night the same thing happened again. I was in the formosa straits, depth below keel about 700ft. I picked up 2 radar contacts headed my way so I ordered a crash dive. I intended to get to a depth of 250 but at about 100ft on the way down there was a collision sound of some kind. Heavy damage and flooding, everyone in the watch slots = dead.
I managed to emergency surface only to find the two planes I had detected had arrived within visual range. But they did so AFTER the collision. I shot at them, thinking they would now attack but they ignored me. I guarantee there was not enough time between detection and damage for it to be these guys that caused the damage.

So I saved the replay as suggested to check for mines. There was no mine either?!?!?!
I still have no idea what caused the damage. Has anyone got any ideas now? Did I strike an invisible object of some kind?