SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-30-18, 02:43 PM   #1
Mr9million
Swabbie

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Exclamation No sound

I have just bought and downloaded silent hunter 3. But I have encountered a problem.

I installed GWX Gold without starting the game first. But when I started the game after installing GWX gold, I had no sound. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, no help. Removed everything including GWX Gold. Still no sound...

Please help!

EDIT: Clarification, I hear no sound at all from the game. When I go into the volume control it does not show that the game is making any sound. Also, I have the game on steam.

Last edited by Mr9million; 07-01-18 at 09:47 AM.
Mr9million is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-18, 04:00 PM   #2
ivanov.ruslan
The Old Man

Downloads: 901

Hi! Give some more details
What sound, from machines, from speech,etc..

Last edited by ivanov.ruslan; 06-30-18 at 04:19 PM.
ivanov.ruslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-18, 08:28 PM   #3
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1105
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr9million View Post
I have just bought and downloaded silent hunter 3. But I have encountered a problem.

I installed GWX Gold without starting the game first. But when I started the game after installing GWX gold, I had no sound. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, no help. Removed everything including GWX Gold. Still no sound...

Please help!

EDIT: Clarification, I hear no sound at all from the game. When I go into the volume control it does not show that the game is making any sound.
Ok, from the ground up.

did you have sound before Silent Hunter 3?

Do you need the 4GB patch from ntcore ?

My next question would be, did you allow DirectX to fully install, even tho you may think you already have it ?

If that all passes, My next question is thus: - What system specs do you have?
Old 07-01-18, 03:29 AM   #4
Mr9million
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
Ok, from the ground up.

did you have sound before Silent Hunter 3?

Do you need the 4GB patch from ntcore ?

My next question would be, did you allow DirectX to fully install, even tho you may think you already have it ?

If that all passes, My next question is thus: - What system specs do you have?
I hear every other program on my computer.

I don't know if I need the patch, but I installed it and it did not make a difference.

I don't know if I let directX fully install, how do I check that?

My specs are: Windows 10 64 bit - Intel i5 7500 3.4GHz - 16.0GB Ram - GTX 1070 8GB
Old 07-01-18, 05:36 AM   #5
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Mr9million
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials And Other Information Links In My Signature Below

Post #65 Having A Problem With Silent Hunter 3 Check This Post Out

When you have installed your game I would recommend that you make a copy of it and call it something like SH3 Pristine.
Do this before going to the Naval Academy.
This saves you from having to install from another source in the future if a corruption damages your game or you want to be able to have more than 1 game to play.

Start your game from the SH3.exe and go to the Naval Academy and select the Navigation tutorial, once the game loads you can then exit the tutorial.
This procedure sets up your SH3 saved games folder.
Needs to be done each time you add a new game to play after using Multi SH3.

Download link
4Gig Patch For SH3 > Already Activated In LSH3

Post #61 Changing Windows 10 To Run In A Compatibility Mode > Pictorial

Download link
Copy into your SH3 Pristine
Each additional game needs its own 3 digit saved game folder
MultiSH3 > Already included in LSH3-2015 > Download includes full instructions.

Post #239 Changing The Nvidia GPU Settings > Essential Settings > Pictorial > Missing pictures replaced

THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 07:52 AM   #6
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Humm....Reading your computer specs, there is no reason why you should not get sound, and you should definitly be able to run any SH game with any mods if you setup correctly.

Stupid question: Did you plug your speakers correctly? There are 3 possible plugs (microphone, speaker, ext.) chose the right one...The fact that you hear other sounds on your computer tells nothing, it could come from the motherboard sound if activated.
What do you see when you go to

START > System > Hardware & Sound > Sound ?

Click the Speaker section and see if they are activated and set up as they should. In the Mixer there should be a testing tab so you can hear sound if the speaker is plugged correctly.
In order to check if the sound doesn't work because of DirectX, go to Start > Execute, and type "dxdiag" in the execute window. The DirectX window will pop-up, you should read DirectX 11 or higher, but as said, the game needs DirectX 9.0c files to run, if they are not in the list repeat the game installation and don't skip DirectX install - or run it separately before installing the game.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 07-01-18 at 08:18 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 09:50 AM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Mr9million!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 10:12 AM   #8
Mr9million
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
Humm....Reading your computer specs, there is no reason why you should not get sound, and you should definitly be able to run any SH game with any mods if you setup correctly.

Stupid question: Did you plug your speakers correctly? There are 3 possible plugs (microphone, speaker, ext.) chose the right one...The fact that you hear other sounds on your computer tells nothing, it could come from the motherboard sound if activated.
What do you see when you go to

START > System > Hardware & Sound > Sound ?

Click the Speaker section and see if they are activated and set up as they should. In the Mixer there should be a testing tab so you can hear sound if the speaker is plugged correctly.
In order to check if the sound doesn't work because of DirectX, go to Start > Execute, and type "dxdiag" in the execute window. The DirectX window will pop-up, you should read DirectX 11 or higher, but as said, the game needs DirectX 9.0c files to run, if they are not in the list repeat the game installation and don't skip DirectX install - or run it separately before installing the game.
Ok, so I tried plugging my Razer Kraken V2 into the motherboard directly. But that didn't change anything. I changed the standard audio device to my headphones for iphone. (You know the two separate piece ear thingies.) And now it plays the ubisoft logo sound, but nothing else. (In silent hunter 3).

When I open dxdiag it says that I have DirectX 12 installed. And every time I reinstall SH3 steam says that it's downloading/installing DirectX.

Maybe it has something to do with the sound settings? In sound everything is 0 dB. But if I turn the dials it goes to -1 dB etc. Is that right? What should they be at?
Old 07-01-18, 11:27 AM   #9
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

MrM
Your problem lies with a setting not anything to with software or hardware as you say you hear sound without the game.

While your computer uses the latest version of Direct X this is of no use to any of the Silent Hunter versions that have to have Direct X 9C.

In your first post you say you have no sound but I take it you can see the game running.
Sound Options.

Cfg main file settings.

[SOUND]
Music=Yes
VolumeGeneral=100
VolumeMusic=100
VolumeFx=100
VolumeSpeech=100

Check that your SH3.exe is patched to the latest v1.4 version.

Uninstall your game.
Run a registry cleaner and re-boot your system.
Post #70 How To Use The Free Registry Cleaner 'Ccleaner' > Pictorial > Includes Download Link

You do not need any extras to run the SH3 stock game.
You must set your SH3.exe to run incompatibility mode for Windows 7 if you are running Windows 10 and also run as an administrator.

Check your SH3.exe is v1.4

Start the game.
At the main menu go to Options and check the settings.
Now go to the Naval Academy and select the Navigation tutorial.
When the tutorial loads to the command room you can check for sound from the game.
Exit the game.
The Naval Academy sets up your SH3 saved game folder in documents.

Peter

THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
issue, sound