Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-12-18, 06:25 AM   #16
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibbyland View Post
It's the weirdest thing, I did the scan and on completion it just said threat found and removed. When I went to find what the specific threat was it had just removed the entire megamod, all 2 and a bit GB of it.
It seems that Sputterfish's automatic Steam Conversion Tool (SH5updateSteam.exe) is causing problems with some AV programs which wasn't the case before...Not sure how to solve this except to remove the tool completely but that will again move playable SH5 a light year from Steam users...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-18, 07:54 AM   #17
Shibbyland
Seaman

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0

Any chance separating sputterfishes file as a seperate download for steam users? Or is it possible to download the mega mod and then manually remove the file myself and try again with the scan. Might be good to see if that is in fact the issue in this case.
Shibbyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-18, 08:24 AM   #18
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Any chance separating sputterfishes file as a seperate download for steam users? Or is it possible to download the mega mod and then manually remove the file myself and try again with the scan. Might be good to see if that is in fact the issue in this case.
You can delete "Resources\TWoS_Setup\SH5updateSteam.exe" file from the archive but then you wont be able to install the mod properly if you use Steam version...
Old 07-12-18, 09:30 AM   #19
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

With better antivirus or Internet Security programs, there should be a functionality (menu choice) in which you can send a quarantined file to the company to further test if a file is a virus or not. If it's not a virus (a so called False Positive), this will be taken in account for the next antivirus update database.
Read in your program instructions how to do that.

With better antivirus or Internet Security programs, you can define Exclusions for the virus scan. This means that a file which you have researched and which is not a virus will - accordingly to your instruction - not be scanned during the live scan or during the scheduled scan of your computer.
Read in your program instructions how you exclude files or folders from the scan, the procedure is different in any antivirus program.

@Veco,
maybe add the above in your TWoS notes!

Last edited by XenonSurf; 07-12-18 at 09:41 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-18, 01:21 AM   #20
Shibbyland
Seaman

I just re-downloaded the file to get to the bottom of what was being identified as the "problem" file.

It's as you say, the file for making it steam compatible is the one which AV is identifying as a threat. (See below)

J:\Downloads\Game modding\The Wolves of Steel 2.2_SH5 Expansion Pack_v2.2.6_Full.exe » WINRARSFX » Resources\TWoS_Setup\SH5updateSteam.exe - a variant of MSIL/Packed.Confuser.N suspicious application - cleaned by deleting [1]

Since the file is part of the entire executable file, I'm not sure how to isolate it and use what's left (I don't use steam for SH5). It just deletes the entire file.
Old 07-15-18, 01:58 AM   #21
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1328

Quote:
I just re-downloaded the file to get to the bottom of what was being identified as the "problem" file.

It's as you say, the file for making it steam compatible is the one which AV is identifying as a threat. (See below)

J:\Downloads\Game modding\The Wolves of Steel 2.2_SH5 Expansion Pack_v2.2.6_Full.exe » WINRARSFX » Resources\TWoS_Setup\SH5updateSteam.exe - a variant of MSIL/Packed.Confuser.N suspicious application - cleaned by deleting [1]

Since the file is part of the entire executable file, I'm not sure how to isolate it and use what's left (I don't use steam for SH5). It just deletes the entire file.
For Kaspersky AV this file is sure
http://subsim.com/radioroom/showpost...ostcount=10392

Watch spoiler

Last edited by hauangua; 07-15-18 at 03:02 AM.
hauangua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-18, 05:57 AM   #22
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
I'm not sure how to isolate it and use what's left (I don't use steam for SH5). It just deletes the entire file.
Do you have Winrar?
Old 07-15-18, 06:07 AM   #23
Shibbyland
Seaman

No but I can get it. I am able to zip files however when I zipped this one it only went down a couple hundred megs.
Old 07-15-18, 06:32 AM   #24
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
No but I can get it. I am able to zip files however when I zipped this one it only went down a couple hundred megs.
Open TWoS installer with Winrar and delete the problematic file. Or even better, extract it first and then delete it. That way you can upload it for further analysis to the Eset "experts". I would really like to hear why our Steam converter tool is so "dangerous"...
Old 07-15-18, 10:32 AM   #25
Propnut17
Mate

Downloads: 68
Default AVG

I use AVG Internet Security and ensure my virus database is automatically updated, sometimes twice a day and I have had no threat warnings on either the 2.2.x updates or the full main installers.
Propnut17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-18, 07:19 AM   #26
Shibbyland
Seaman

I went ahead and installed the mod despite both my anti-virus and windows telling me not to.

I couldn't submit the file for analysis in the end but on calling the company I was advised that the file it was detecting was most likely being picked up due to the manner in which it is packed not being trusted. After turning off the detection of suspicious applications, it passed the remaining scans. It seems ESET recognises the packing of the file as having potential to hold harmful information (but not necessarily actually holding it).

Thanks for making the mod so much easier to install than last time. The scanner actually detected and removed the steam compatibility file during the installation.

I still don't know why Windows had such an issue with installing the application, it recommended several times that I don't. Is anybody able to comment on why windows would get upset by it?

In any case, spent hours patrolling up and down the entrance to Danzig. Came across 2000 Tonnes of Polish shipping at the most perfect angle without any need for positioning. Needless to say one torpedo was all it took. Great mod, I purchased Cold Waters and didn't even end up looking at it once I got Wolves of Steel installed.
Old 07-17-18, 07:38 AM   #27
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:

I still don't know why Windows had such an issue with installing the application, it recommended several times that I don't. Is anybody able to comment on why windows would get upset by it?
It's a common problem with unofficial installers. Some security programs (depending of your personal settings) will block them just because they "could" hold something unwanted.
You can download the problematic tool here which will be moved to the quarantine as soon as you save it. It would be very nice if you could upload it for detailed analysis trough your NOD antivirus so that it can be declared as "safe" in following period... http://www.mediafire.com/file/ubfoko...Steam.exe/file

Quote:
In any case, spent hours patrolling up and down the entrance to Danzig. Came across 2000 Tonnes of Polish shipping at the most perfect angle without any need for positioning. Needless to say one torpedo was all it took. Great mod, I purchased Cold Waters and didn't even end up looking at it once I got Wolves of Steel installed.
Happy hunting !
Old 07-18-18, 07:55 AM   #28
vdr1981
Navy Seal

I was working really hard these days on submitting false positive reports to various AV vendors and I can inform you that from now TWoS shouldn't be interrupted in any way by following programs:

AVG, Avira, Avast, Norton/Symantec, Microsoft defender. Still waiting response from several other vendors ...

Last edited by vdr1981; 07-18-18 at 08:06 AM.