SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-09-18, 10:35 AM   #1
Iceman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default World Of Warships - Submarines

Ok gents haven't been on here in a while but still love this site. If any of you guys play this game and want to weigh in on Subs these guys will love ya...not... but chime in on this thread here regarding them introducing subs into the game...alot of haters there but opinions and suggestions to these guys could be helpful and I know there is a lot of experience here.

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/to...update/?page=1
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-18, 07:36 PM   #2
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11

It would be kinda nice, but I'm not sure how well it would practically work. WW2 subs where out paced and out gunned against surface war ships..
Never played WOW or WOT more of WT person as I like Air battles best and WOWP was a big pile of poo.
Subs could maybe work in in WT or WOW if they had a specific job to do - e.g sink some AI merchies.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-18, 11:08 AM   #3
Iceman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Yea it needs serious attention to different modes of game play and missions etc. There is room for it...it's just weird to me how WoW can think the game is complete without them. Submarines were and are a big part of Navy's and they have Carriers in battles why would you not throw a rogue sub into the mix? Many try to assert that subs played Zero roles in engagements but from what I can see they had an effect in some engagements in WWII they weren't all just rogue wolf-pack hunters that preyed only on the helpless merchants.
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-18, 09:08 PM   #4
Falkirion
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 34

I wouldn't mind seeing it as a kind of event type of mode.

PVE: It could work as an operation, have a wolf pack of subs of various nations vs a convoy with a screen. Sink X amount of tonnage before it makes a certain point on the map.

PVP: I think this has to be a stand alone mode, sub vs hunter killer groups. Given teamwork is hard for a lot of the player base to muster it could work.

Can't see subs being a part of the main battle line up though, just too slow to keep up with the general surface battles. Plus how do you balance a subs ability to submerge and remain undetected vs the fleet engagements taking place on the surface.
Falkirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-18, 05:39 AM   #5
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

At one time, the idea of a "fleet sub" was to travel with the fleet and then submerge and engage at long range. That idea quickly died for many practical reasons. But this idea, unfortunately, had ramifications on torpedo designs that later proved problematic.

Among other good books, I can recommend "Ship Killers" by Wildenberg and Polmar.