SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-19-07, 01:37 PM   #1516
Growler
A long way from the sea

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0

Just to further muddy up the waters (I hope not):

What OS are you running? If I remember correctly, file sizes can differ depending on OS. Well, specifically, which file system you're using (FAT32 or NTFS), but probably not to the extreme differences indicated.
And pledge to love and beauty.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-07, 04:54 PM   #1517
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

[quote=AtlantikEel]It is actually to be found in the u-boat.net "members" section under "ships attacked". Exact text is as follows:
No wonder I couldn't find it - I'm not a member!:rotfl: Got a funny message asking me to log in.

Quote:
While I don't know if any u-boat ever carried starshells (stock SH3 probably got that wrong) we do know from this article that some carried incendiary as well as high explosive shells, so I think that we should at least be allowed our AP ammo back (if not also starshells, which could for this purpose [though it is a bit of a stretch] be classified as incendiary).
In answer to your question, it's easy to do yourself. Go to the 'Main' CFG file and scroll down to near the bottom. Right below Coning (sic) Towers, you'll find the deck gun configurations. There you can change them to whatever you want.

Note: I can't actually look at my computer right now, so I may be wrong about the exact location; if so, someone will correct me soon (I hope).
Old 06-19-07, 07:08 PM   #1518
AtlantikEel
A-ganger

Downloads: 0

[quote=Sailor Steve: In answer to your question, it's easy to do yourself. Go to the 'Main' CFG file and scroll down to near the bottom. Right below Coning (sic) Towers, you'll find the deck gun configurations. There you can change them to whatever you want.

Note: I can't actually look at my computer right now, so I may be wrong about the exact location; if so, someone will correct me soon (I hope).[/quote]

Thank-you, I'll try that.
If I remember right, it costs me about $60 a year for u-boat.net membership ..... but it's well worth it! There is so much fascinating information there ... even listings for all crewmen known to have served on each boat. They really do a very good historical service.
AtlantikEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 06:04 AM   #1519
gentlemannen
Swabbie

I downloaded the big file from torrent, now everything works fine. Thanx for the quick help!
gentlemannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 06:22 AM   #1520
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlemannen
I downloaded the big file from torrent, now everything works fine. Thanx for the quick help!
You now need to get & install the 1.03 patch.

The patch is for fixes & corrections and is highly recommended.
Old 06-20-07, 10:00 AM   #1521
TheStrike
Swabbie

Downloads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboywooly
Have a dual install

There are lots of threads on those

Simple way is to rename your SilentHunterIII folder
EG
C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\GWX 1.03

Put the DVD back in the drive
Click install
Repair

You will then get a new SilentHunterIII folder which you can then patch to 1.4
Thanks alot my friend
TheStrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 10:07 AM   #1522
gentlemannen
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlisa
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlemannen
You now need to get & install the 1.03 patch.

The patch is for fixes & corrections and is highly recommended.

Yepp, working fine!
Old 06-20-07, 12:51 PM   #1523
gentlemannen
Swabbie

Hmm....I found it really hard to torpedo ship. In the communitymanual is says "Put the periscope crosshairs over what you want to hit, and press "fire"." Yeah right! That would work if the ship was not moving, but they tend to do that. So I tried to shoot in front of the ship so it "sails" right in to my incoming torpedo, but mostly I miss. Dont know HOW fare infront av the ship Im suppose to aim? Do you pro have any advise? Another question, on the F6 view there is sometimes long black lines and short lines from my u-boat, whats the differens? I have tons of qustions....I usually just play strategy-games I havent tried a real mission yet, stuck in the academy, I will probably stay there hehe.....
Old 06-20-07, 12:59 PM   #1524
danlisa
Navy Seal

@ gentlemannen

I'll gladly answer your questions.

But can you start a new thread on the main SH3 forum? We need to keep this thread clean.

BTW, these are SH3 questions, not GWX.

Don't worry, we were all n00bs at some point. Lots of people will answer your questions if it's in the right place.
Old 06-20-07, 01:54 PM   #1525
gentlemannen
Swabbie

Absolutely! I will post it there.
Old 06-20-07, 07:57 PM   #1526
Indiana_Jones
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 3

So there anywhere where we can place "issues" we've had/seen in GWX? as so the wonder team can tinker and work their magic?

I say so as I'm currently sneaking around in Dunkirk in Nov 1939. Full of ships etc, which is cool (loved the mines in the entrance to the harbour ) but the only 2 ships protecting it are French armed trawlers, but they both are stuck.

so I'm free to sink a large tanker and ocean liner only with one fish each!

-Indy
Indiana_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 06:26 AM   #1527
danlisa
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana_Jones
I say so as I'm currently sneaking around in Dunkirk in Nov 1939. Full of ships etc, which is cool (loved the mines in the entrance to the harbour ) but the only 2 ships protecting it are French armed trawlers, but they both are stuck.
IIRC Habour raiding in WW2 only happened once. Scapa Flow. However, we can't tell you how to play your game.

As for the trawlers, the most important part of SH3 is the AI and we (modders) can't touch it without an SDK. The trawlers are stuck because when you were detected, they headed for you in the most direct route (straight line). Now, if there happens to be a spit of land between you and them, they are going to go straight into it. There is no collision avoidance between ship & land.

Now, the GWX devs could pepper the entrance to all harbours with seemingly numerous & dangerous ships but the same thing will happen over & over again. There is just no fix.
Old 06-22-07, 08:24 PM   #1528
Indiana_Jones
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 3

Ok, fair enough.

Just thought you might like to know

Harbour raiding is wicked

-Indy
Indiana_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-07, 01:51 PM   #1529
AtlantikEel
A-ganger

Default Two questions

I am wondering if GWX 1.04 will fix two things that I am bothered by:

1. When hunting a convoy in stormy weather, after I dive I can still hear the wind when I am in submarine interior views; this seems wrong (and is annoying).

2. Should we be able to receive/transmit radio messages when submerged? I thought WW2 submarines had to surface to receive/transmit ..... or could they do so submerged by extending an antenna? (I have noted that there seems to be a depth limit to radio messages in game, ie: periscope depth down to about 50 meters, but there is no "raise antenna" command in game).
AtlantikEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-07, 03:05 PM   #1530
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantikEel
I am wondering if GWX 1.04 will fix two things that I am bothered by:

1. When hunting a convoy in stormy weather, after I dive I can still hear the wind when I am in submarine interior views; this seems wrong (and is annoying).

2. Should we be able to receive/transmit radio messages when submerged? I thought WW2 submarines had to surface to receive/transmit ..... or could they do so submerged by extending an antenna? (I have noted that there seems to be a depth limit to radio messages in game, ie: periscope depth down to about 50 meters, but there is no "raise antenna" command in game).
1. Don't forget to close the hatch (probably a stock bug)

2. AFAIK they could receive signals whilst only a few metres below the surface

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote