SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-08-19, 01:00 PM   #1
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452
Uploads: 0

Default Hydrophone ships sounds?

Ahoy captains,

I’m experiencing strange thing in Ralles Real Mod Soup.
I didn’t noticed before, but i can’t hear any sound in hydrophone for some ships...
For sure, the Akita Maru and the Kinposan Maru doesn’t have any hydrophone sound that i can hear.
My sonar guy can hear them though...

I re-installed fresh game, and re-installed the Ralles Real Mod Soup without success, as those boats still doesn’t have sounds on my rig.

So my questions are:

- is there a file somewhere, where i can check if those boats have effective hydrophone sounds?
(In other words, where are the hydrophone ships sounds?)

- other Ralles mod players experienced this?

I know Bleiente isn’t here anymore, but i don’t want to subscribe on other forum...in German language furthermore...

Thanks for help
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-19, 01:51 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

A lot of mods have this issue, and only FotRSU has a 99.9% certainty of having fixed this... we hope - It all falls to a finding awhile back by CapnScurvy that when ships that are "built" a certain way in their configuration files, and travel a certain threshold percentage below their maximum speed, that they will "disappear" from sonar if you are at the station. The green light will light up indicating sound, and the sonar man can hear it (usually), but you can't.

Several of the mods got into the use of the really low speeds to either simulate a convoy transloading freight at an intermediate harbor, or to slow the ship down some for a timed arrival at another location. Roughly speaking, some ships would disappear when they dropped below about 50% of their max speed, so if a ship rated for 16 knots was set to do 6 knots for a portion of their travel, then they could not be heard by the player. This did depend upon the "power" of the engine, and "load" the ship was pushing through the water. In other words, the bigger the ship, the more "power" required, so the easier it would be to hear it. Other ships were set-up differently, and you could hear them all the way down below 3 knots. That is the "minimum" speed in FotRSU now, for the open sea, and CapnScurvy did a lot of "drag", "power", "volume", etc. configuring of the ships and subs in the mod, and it is much better. With Ralles Mod Pack, you'll have to rely upon your sonar man, so put the best you have there.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-19, 05:57 PM   #3
Fifi
Navy Seal

Ah, ok. I understand now

But the propellers sounds, where do they come from? (What file)
Just curious
Old 03-08-19, 07:17 PM   #4
propbeanie

There are several wav files in the Sound folder for different "classes" of ship. If you take the Corvette sounds, there's "Corvette.wav" for 'normal' listening, a "Corvette_hyd.wav" for close underwater, a "Corvette_Low.wav" for being away further, and a "Corvette_mix.wav". There's BBKingGeorge (or whatever) that most of the bigger capital ships use, a DD of some sort for the medium sized ones, that corvette wave, several for Merchants, etc. Not one file for each ship, but one shared between the groups... They run the SH.SDL for volume control, however, that has nothing to do with the sonar detection. Only your ears perception of the physical sound.

Old 03-09-19, 03:34 AM   #5
Fifi
Navy Seal

Okay, many thanks, you are a silent hunter encyclopedia!
Old 03-09-19, 11:05 AM   #6
propbeanie

Oh, wow. Thanks... but I'm just sitting at the computer editing text files, and have a quick search available right in front of me - and perhaps some of CapnScurvy's knowledge is rubbing off on me after all (so long as I've not mis-quoted)... - Thank you.