Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 01-08-14, 12:02 PM   #1
Linton
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Prepar3d and Wilco A320

I ws thinking about buying Prepar3d and then buying the Wilco A320 for it. Doesanybody have any experience of using prepar3d?
Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-14, 12:47 PM   #2
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

No, but Skybird has been keeping a close eye on things and should be along shortly.

Off the top of my head it's a slight improvement over FSX but still fails to utilize multi-processors satisfactorily.

If you get it, get the student edition - the only real differences are the price and a very tiny, unobtrusive, watermark in one corner - and let us know how you get on with it.
Old 01-08-14, 12:54 PM   #3
Linton
Sea Lord

I have looked at the system requirements and my video card is not good enough unfortunately. I will have to continue with FSX until I decide to upgrade.
Old 01-08-14, 01:19 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

It already starts with the need to decide whether you would stay with the old P3D v1.4 - or the new 2.0, which are two different packages, 2.0 is not just a free upgrade over 2.0. The new one currently has compatability issues that in many cases will not be solved that easily, both due to coding and licensing issues.

I would wait with P3D 2.0 until the addons you are interested in have come along with dedicated installers and licenses. While people said that in some cases old addons run with P3D 2.0, other addons do not, or only at the cost of technical handicaps and huge frame losses.

I was eager to jump onto 2.0 since I learned that it was coming. But observing what is going on currently makes me cautious.

If you can manage to tune your system so that you have a stable FSX installation, stay with it. Blindly investing into P3D seesm to be a gamble - with both versions. Not everybody who bought 1.4 reported huge improvements.

And to answer a question mabye coming to mind: differfent to widespread hopes, P3D 2.0 is NOT turned into 64 Bit, nor does it include true multicore support. Both is unlikely to come in the forseeable future/years.

Several developers, including PMDG, have said they will give full support to P3D 2.0 and will develope for it. But the prices for their modules under 2.0 will be higher than for FSX/P3D 1.4 .
Old 01-08-14, 01:24 PM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Cosnider the Aerosoft Extended A320. I am not up to date on it, but it sure looks like a nice package, though no high fidelty realism package like PMDG stuff.
Old 01-08-14, 01:36 PM   #6
Linton
Sea Lord

Thank you Skybird. I am currently using FSX and I have the Wilco A320 with a package that is almost the extended version. It is reasonably stable and I was hoping that Prepar3d would offer something that was more realistic .
I am not really interested in the graphics of the outside world or the aircraft exterior, it is the aircraft model and the fidelity of the simulation I am looking for.
My system is not up to running either version but I cannot justify the expense of buying a new system just for gaming. I can rent a full flight simulator for a few hours for the same price. I will see how Prepar3d progresses over the next few years and then reassess my needs.
Old 01-08-14, 01:58 PM   #7
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Can't we just have a GAME nowadays?

One that doesn't require CD Keys, Dongles, Licenses and account creation.

One without social media integration or excessive DRM?

Old 01-08-14, 07:59 PM   #8
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Because P3D is not a game. If you go to their site, it's even very specifically marketed like not-a-game-at-all and is not offered for sale as an entertainment product.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote