SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-29-17, 05:08 PM   #181
HanSolo78
Sea Lord

Downloads: 100
Uploads: 3

For me Rubinis solutions is almost perfect!

I mean.... in campaign there show torpedo planes up... they drop torpedos and sometimes you will be hit. Great addition to me!
Old 08-29-17, 06:05 PM   #182
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSolo78 View Post
For me Rubinis solutions is almost perfect!

I mean.... in campaign there show torpedo planes up... they drop torpedos and sometimes you will be hit. Great addition to me!
Honestly I have never tested it, but as far as I could see from Rubini's presentaion videos, it seems a cool mod. The one things I would improve, is adding torpedo racks and making torpedoes to disappear from the plane, once they are dropped.
A whila ago, I had suggested to Kendras a little trick for making this to happen with the virtual rocket launchers. Unfortunately the first tests weren't promising (the plane was destroyed rather than the under-wing rocket models removed), but I am optimistic that with some fine-tunings my idea can still work
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-17, 06:17 PM   #183
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Rubini's torps work better is SH3 than they do in SH4 (translation problem??), but even if they're buggy, it's still a serious threat to a submarine. Since you cannot "see" what weapon a particular airplane carries from an initial spotting distance, you have to think to yourself: does he have rockets, or does he have torpedoes? Well, punk? Do you feel ~lucky~?...

so, you crash dive and hope for the best...

gap, if you can make the torps or the rockets - or both, disappear, you'd be "even more world famous-er" in my book, brother... |;^)

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-17, 07:04 PM   #184
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
gap, if you can make the torps or the rockets - or both, disappear, you'd be "even more world famous-er" in my book, brother... |;^)
Well, my idea is relatively simple:
  • make torpedo/rockets a separate submodel (they probably already are) in the rack/launcher/virtual gun models that torpedo/rocket launching aircraft are equipped with;

• add a damage box to these models, and specify as damage zone a custom zone set as detroyable and with very low armor level and hit points (let's say 1/1);

• add a muzzle flash effect to the virtual torpedo/rockets guns, if it is not already present;

• make this effect to spawn a custom explosive charge (using the same concept as the 'unit damage from fire' mod)

• set damage points/radii/armor penetration values of that charge just as high as to allow it to destroy the dummy torpedo/rocket models on the racks, but not high enough to damage the aircraft itself nor any other of its parts.

This is the theory. In practice the plane gets damaged anyway, I still need to understand why
Old 08-30-17, 04:51 AM   #185
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
If you want to try yourself to solve the problem :

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...9&postcount=75
Old 08-30-17, 12:36 PM   #186
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Well, my idea is relatively simple:
  • make torpedo/rockets a separate submodel (they probably already are) in the rack/launcher/virtual gun models that torpedo/rocket launching aircraft are equipped with;

• add a damage box to these models, and specify as damage zone a custom zone set as detroyable and with very low armor level and hit points (let's say 1/1);

• add a muzzle flash effect to the virtual torpedo/rockets guns, if it is not already present;

• make this effect to spawn a custom explosive charge (using the same concept as the 'unit damage from fire' mod)

• set damage points/radii/armor penetration values of that charge just as high as to allow it to destroy the dummy torpedo/rocket models on the racks, but not high enough to damage the aircraft itself nor any other of its parts.

This is the theory. In practice the plane gets damaged anyway, I still need to understand why
I forgot to mention that the virtual muzzle that actual torpedo/rockets (and the dummy flash effect) will spawn from, must be close enough to the destroyable torpedo/rocket models (the ones in the rack) for the explosive charge linked to the flash effect to selectively destroy them.
The muzzle shouldn't be internal to the destroyable models though: tests by Kendras show that SHIII might not detect collision between a 3D mesh/damage box and and a piece of ammonition, if that ammonition is originating within the boundaries of the mesh/box.
All in all, it is better if a destroyable, invisible model (a 'trigger' as Kendras called it), is placed close to the muzzle (but not overlapped to it) and the dummy torpedo/rocket models linked to it as child models.
Old 08-30-17, 12:46 PM   #187
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

There are quite a few applications for this, if you can get it to go... But this is definitely worlds and planes above my skill and understanding... I could bring the plane down easy enough, I could probably link a thermonuclear detonation to a launch, make a big flash probably also, but to make the weapon disappear without destroying the platform... I dunno. I am gonna look though it though, thank you very much. I'm sure we're all awaiting LGN1's reply here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...26#post2509426

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-17, 01:07 PM   #188
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
so instead of skipping stones on the water, Kendras is skipping planes...
And it's even more funny with a rocket propelled aircraft, flying at 600 m/s !
Old 09-03-17, 11:01 AM   #189
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default RP-3 Rockets

I've added the british RP-3 rocket to the rockets library.

Testing them on Hawker Hurricanes, which have a new texture (Sea Hurricane texture) :

Old 09-03-17, 11:45 AM   #190
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 846
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
I've added the british RP-3 rocket to the rockets library.

Testing them on Hawker Hurricanes, which have a new texture (Sea Hurricane texture) :
Anvar1061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 01:22 PM   #191
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default p51 - new texture ...

8 hours of work, and still not finished ...

Old 09-04-17, 03:32 PM   #192
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
8 hours of work, and still not finished ...

Looking good so far
Old 09-04-17, 04:46 PM   #193
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

The problem is that I have to create a new texture for a 3D model already mapped with an old bad looking texture ...

Old 09-04-17, 04:49 PM   #194
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
The problem is that I have to create a new texture for a 3D model already mapped with an old bad looking texture ...

If you think it is worth it, I can help you creating a totally new UV projection
Old 09-04-17, 05:24 PM   #195
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
If you think it is worth it, I can help you creating a totally new UV projection
In this case, a new and nice texture is also needed ...