SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-12-09, 08:31 AM   #16
runningdeer
Frogman

Downloads: 142
Uploads: 1

Ok...thanks again for your time ichso. I did find a skinning tutorial here at subsim by CaptainCox: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=109862&highlight=CaptainCox

It isnt geared towards applying numbers or images, but mainly how to create, save and make jsgme ready skins (coloring), from the games submarine files.

Anyway...I'll keep trying to find the solution. Then I can make some really nice skins. If not for others, for myself.

runningdeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-09, 10:12 AM   #17
runningdeer
Frogman

Hi all. Although I have not solved the problem of numbers/images mirroring and facing backward on one side of the sub, I have found some good tutorials for skinning. Below are some helpful tutorials for wanna-be skinners like myself:

(video...watch in HD for clarity)

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=109862& highlight=CaptainCox

They were done by CaptainCox.

Old 06-04-09, 01:35 PM   #18
ichso
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 57
Uploads: 0

A little update from my side.

I had the best modding tool (S3d, of course) at hand and didn't use it.
I would test my half finished sub sinks by loading them in the game and finding the correct positions of where to put details of the texture as described above is also as tedious as it is unnecessary.

Take S3D, open the [install dir]\data\submarines\[sub_name]\[sub_name].dat with it and open the branch of the root node for this model in the list view on the left. Then you will find, in the main window, a uv map preview that you can view and even save in as .png file in any desired resolution. Take 2048x2048 for example and include it as a new layer in your current skin you're working on, as a seperate layer.
Then you will see where your painting and texturizing will be used on the 3D-model.

Like this:

Also, the S3D contains of a 3D model preview, so no running the game to test your work anymore until it is finished!

I just though I share my newest *cough* "wisdom" *cough*.

Such an obvious solution, and I was doing all my skins the hard way all the time ...
ichso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-09, 01:59 PM   #19
runningdeer
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichso View Post

Also, the S3D contains of a 3D model preview, so no running the game to test your work anymore until it is finished!

I just though I share my newest *cough* "wisdom" *cough*.

Such an obvious solution, and I was doing all my skins the hard way all the time ...
Wow...this is terrific! And the preview will be very very nice...I got really freakin' good at loading skins then starting the game, etc, to see my work, but ugh...what a pain.

Thank you so much .

This will be my first time using S3d.

Old 06-04-09, 02:41 PM   #20
Saturnalia
Mate

Downloads: 15

Has anyone made a 'Barbie' skin for ships yet?
Saturnalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-09, 03:12 PM   #21
Highbury
The Old Man

Downloads: 174

Quote:
The number issue puzzled me once too. And when I finally had figured it out how to do this I realized that no boat had it's number on it's hull during war time.
Actually I know alot of the S Classes did. Probably some others, maybe even just the older between-wars boats. These are credited as war time photos. There were several but no need to link them all.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/0813244.jpg
http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/0812509.jpg

There are also examples of late war boats in black with the SS number painted on the rear portion of the conning tower. This is S-20 (SS-125) in July '45. (Same boat as the previous picture above, in different scheme.)

http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/0812503.jpg

But if you look at a photo history of each boat they are in so many variations of paint scheme, with or without numbers it was correct at some point.
Highbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-09, 03:27 PM   #22
ichso
Ace of the Deep

This must be why they didn't use more S-Boats in the war, because their captains would refuse to give up their hull numbers and that was not good for overall strategy
Old 06-04-09, 03:43 PM   #23
runningdeer
Frogman

Quote:
This must be why they didn't use more S-Boats in the war, because their captains would refuse to give up their hull numbers and that was not good for overall strategy
I was thinking that maybe those that had hull numbers were numbered because they were testing paint schemes or what have you? Just a thought.

ichso...man, this S3D is going to take some time to get used to. But I'm hoping it will make it possible to work with occlusion maps so to get hull numbers and images going the right way on both sides of the boat. That would be great.

I still find myself wanting to place hull numbers or images on that left side .
I'll figure it out eventually.

Old 06-04-09, 04:16 PM   #24
ichso
Ace of the Deep

Hm, I have no idea about those numbers but what images do you want to place different ways on each side ? Isn't it desirable that images are always pointing forward as in the emblem skins you did before ?
Old 06-04-09, 04:23 PM   #25
runningdeer
Frogman

Quote:
Hm, I have no idea about those numbers but what images do you want to place different ways on each side ? Isn't it desirable that images are always pointing forward as in the emblem skins you did before ?
Well...by images I mean emblems, or decals...things that have numbers or font as part of the image, like a boats name. Also, when a japanese flag is mirrored, its facing the wrong direction too.

Like this image, when mirrored the font is backasswards:

Just really sucks being limited in this way.

Old 06-04-09, 04:33 PM   #26
ichso
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningdeer View Post
Well...by images I mean emblems, or decals...things that have numbers or font as part of the image, like a boats name. Also, when a japanese flag is mirrored, its facing the wrong direction too.

Like this image, when mirrored the font is backasswards:

Just really sucks being limited in this way.
Makes sense, actually
Old 06-05-09, 01:36 AM   #27
ichso
Ace of the Deep

It seems as if the S3D expects a very particular naming convention of texture files. I got a pure black texture for s18 boats for example but got it resolved by renaming the texture file to NSS_S18_T01.dds. This applies to some of the sub models, actually.
I did not test yet, whether the game will be able to load the texture now, but for modding/testing purposes in S3D this is a vital shortcut
Old 06-05-09, 06:39 AM   #28
runningdeer
Frogman

Cool ichso.

I wont lie. I am struggling with the S3D. I think it was designed for people that already have experience with nodes, and things like that . It will be some time before I can use it to my advantage.

Such an awesome tool though .

Old 08-14-09, 04:37 AM   #29
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

bump !

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-09, 03:42 PM   #30
Capt.Warner
Lieutenant

Downloads: 60

Thanks for This tutorial mate,been looking for a good one like this keep up the good work

Capt.Warner is offline   Reply With Quote