Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-15-18, 01:11 PM   #1
Spectre-63
Sparky

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 0
Default Back and lots to absorb

Hi guys -

it's been a long break (in Tipperary?), but I've come back and reinstalled SH5 with the latest WoS patch. Probably because I've been away, it's all a bit overwhelming. I've done a lot of reading in the forums over the last few days, watched several videos, but I still have some questions that I hope you can provide some guidance on:

1.) How long does it typically take for you to reach the start screen? It's not uncommon for my system to appear to go idle for 45secs to 1 1/2 minutes at a black screen when starting the game? I've confirmed that the SH5.exe has Admin rights, as does uPlay. Switching to Windows 7 compatibility mode seemed to help some, but I still cannot reliably launch from uPlay - Running sh5.exe directly seems the most reliable.

2.) With RealNavigation and the automation scripts, is it necessary to change scripts as the time of day changes? Or do you just activate the script that matches the current time of day?

3.) My frustration level was at EXTREME last night as I was going thru the Baltic Operations - I would get into the patrol area and the two warships patrolling the entry to Danzig harbor would shoot up my sub before I had a chance to react. I presume this was because my time acceleration allowed them to close to engagement distance before I could react. This didn't match how I remembered playing before, so I presume WoS modified the behavior but I don't understand how I need to adapt. Guidance would be appreciated.

4.) Are there any assumptions about how you'll have the game setup in Options that are a requirement for WoS? For example - if I select Medium Difficulty vs Realistic in the game, does that affect things like the above?

5.) I saw another oddity during play last night: there was an icon on the map for my sub AND separate marks for the Navigator's position estimates. I presume that this (again) indicates that I've got something dorked up in my settings?

6.) Suggestions for areas to search for shipping? I encountered the two polish patrol ships, one Large German warship exiting Danzig harbor (why it didn't eat the patrol ships, I don't know), and ONE lonely Polish freighter over 3 or 4 days of game time?

7.) The Navigator's Celestial Fix button doesn't appear to work properly? I can click it but I don't recall getting fixes back from it? Only the Dead Reckoning fix works consistently? I would expect that errors would compound themselves with dead reckoning, so wouldn't the celestial fix be preferable?

Thanks!

Last edited by Spectre-63; 06-15-18 at 01:40 PM.
Spectre-63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-18, 02:03 PM   #2
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Hi Spectre

1). Mine takes 1 minute 45 s to load game

3). Had the exact same trouble with war ships … had to reload save and play with not More than x8 TC to be sure. And no TC at all when ennemy is sighted !

6). There are others ships around, but you have to often dive and listen with hydrophone.
You can close ennemy harbors too, but carefully
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-18, 04:13 PM   #3
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Welcome back Spectre,

1): With the new TWoS version it should be easier to setup SH5 with Uplay or Steam, but that's all I can say about. I play without them and my game loads almost instantly (i7 4ghz, 16 GB VRAM).

4): You should max-out pretty everything in your game options, especially if you play with Real Navigation. I play without RN to be more flexible to make changes in the OFEV, I have maxed-out all difficulty except the in-game map automatically showing spotted enemies, for me it's a game, I don't want it too real, it can get quite difficult enough even with that...

5): Don't know exactly what you mean here but if you play RN then you must rely on asking the Navigation man to plot your position on the map , plus you must rely on 'Supermarks' and saving them, also because every other things you mark on the map will disappear once you quit the game.

Cannot say too much about your other points, but feel free to find and read the guide I have made about starting TWoS anywhere in the campaign, so you can plan to encounter and you won't miss historical events if scripted by WoS.

Have fun,
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-18, 04:27 PM   #4
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre-63 View Post
Hi guys -

it's been a long break (in Tipperary?), but I've come back and reinstalled SH5 with the latest WoS patch. Probably because I've been away, it's all a bit overwhelming. I've done a lot of reading in the forums over the last few days, watched several videos, but I still have some questions that I hope you can provide some guidance on:
I like when people ask concrete questions so I'll spare few minutes...

Quote:
1.) How long does it typically take for you to reach the start screen? It's not uncommon for my system to appear to go idle for 45secs to 1 1/2 minutes at a black screen when starting the game? I've confirmed that the SH5.exe has Admin rights, as does uPlay. Switching to Windows 7 compatibility mode seemed to help some, but I still cannot reliably launch from uPlay - Running sh5.exe directly seems the most reliable.
With TWoS on board "black screen" loading pause which can last for several minutes is quite normal, regardless of your PC configuration. That's because nations rooster and number of ships have been increased for several times.

Quote:
2.) With RealNavigation and the automation scripts, is it necessary to change scripts as the time of day changes? Or do you just activate the script that matches the current time of day?
Activate the script which matches current time of day (GMT), once only, when you load your gamesave or starting new patrol.

Quote:
3.) My frustration level was at EXTREME last night as I was going thru the Baltic Operations - I would get into the patrol area and the two warships patrolling the entry to Danzig harbor would shoot up my sub before I had a chance to react. I presume this was because my time acceleration allowed them to close to engagement distance before I could react. This didn't match how I remembered playing before, so I presume WoS modified the behavior but I don't understand how I need to adapt. Guidance would be appreciated.
Polish destroyers in Danzing are skilled but they are no match for German warships which are also in the area. Luftwaffe may also attack them as well...
Be careful and keep your head down until German units deal with them and then you can hunt freely in the Danzing.

Quote:
4.) Are there any assumptions about how you'll have the game setup in Options that are a requirement for WoS? For example - if I select Medium Difficulty vs Realistic in the game, does that affect things like the above?
Game difficulty settings do not affect AI if that's what you ask, but it will make thing easier (or harder) for you...

Quote:
5.) I saw another oddity during play last night: there was an icon on the map for my sub AND separate marks for the Navigator's position estimates. I presume that this (again) indicates that I've got something dorked up in my settings?
That sounds strange... If you have enabled real navigation , you can not see your submarine on the map.

Quote:
6.) Suggestions for areas to search for shipping? I encountered the two polish patrol ships, one Large German warship exiting Danzig harbor (why it didn't eat the patrol ships, I don't know), and ONE lonely Polish freighter over 3 or 4 days of game time?
Fifi gave a good answer regarding this one...

Quote:
7.) The Navigator's Celestial Fix button doesn't appear to work properly? I can click it but I don't recall getting fixes back from it? Only the Dead Reckoning fix works consistently? I would expect that errors would compound themselves with dead reckoning, so wouldn't the celestial fix be preferable?
It works, but it has time delay of 45 minutes or so (depends of navigator experience). This delay can be adjusted with Options File Editor...

Quote:
Thanks!
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-18, 04:44 PM   #5
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Oh, a slight correction:
When I said my game loads pretty immediately, I mean the main menu of WoS, instead it takes about 1 minute for the campaign to load
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-18, 06:05 PM   #6
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome Back To The Subsim Community > Spectre-63
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials And Other Information Links In My Signature Below

Black screen loading time to main menu for me is 3.00 minutes with an SSD.
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-18, 09:30 PM   #7
Spectre-63
Sparky

It's gotten a little wierder - on a whim, I tried moving the SH5 install directory from a spindle disc (where it's been) to another SSD...it loaded MUCH faster - previous time from launch to game window was ~2:30....on the SSD it loaded in 20 seconds

I was about to cheer, but then I tried creating a new campaign and doing the start, save, quit, load routine....when I loaded into the sub pen, this was the view I was shown:

Clearly something's gone awry here, but I have no idea what! Time for a fresh install to the SSD?

All the answers so far are much appreciated!

Just a quick update - clearly something's gone seriously wrong with the install - allowing for my Documents\SH5 directory to be recreated did NOT solve the issue. Since I have ready access to the install files, I'll do a quick reinstall and see where it goes.

Last edited by Spectre-63; 06-15-18 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-15-18, 10:51 PM   #8
Spectre-63
Sparky

Figured it out - half way thru the reinstall the "Generic Patcher" came to mind - I was getting weird screen issues because the Generic Patcher was telling the system to load files in a path that didn't exist any longer.

Further proof even a blind squirrel can find a nut every once in awhile. Loading time was still improved: 1:50 from launch within uPlay.

@THEBERBSTER: you may want to add another item to your list o' hints: a fresh install will overwrite the existing installation of uPlay which, from what I can tell, is not compatible with Windows 10. I was unable to get the game to launch successfully until I updated the uPlay install.

Last edited by Spectre-63; 06-16-18 at 02:06 AM.
Old 06-16-18, 02:03 AM   #9
Spectre-63
Sparky

....and yet another patrol ended by the joys of time compression - all is fine, travel mode off, and I'm jumped by destroyers while trying to transit out of the bay north of Danzig.,...and all before I managed to get a single merchie to show up.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnn

@vdr1981: can you confirm whether the current WoS package includes the "WHF-FUC_We Have Flooding-Flooding Under Control_Fix" patch? Someone suggested installing it in one of the other threads I was reading on Damage Control but then someone else said it was already included in WoS.

Thanks
Old 06-16-18, 05:25 AM   #10
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
It's gotten a little wierder - on a whim, I tried moving the SH5 install directory from a spindle disc (where it's been) to another SSD...it loaded MUCH faster - previous time from launch to game window was ~2:30....on the SSD it loaded in 20 seconds

I was about to cheer, but then I tried creating a new campaign and doing the start, save, quit, load routine....when I loaded into the sub pen, this was the view I was shown:

Clearly something's gone awry here, but I have no idea what! Time for a fresh install to the SSD?
I'm glad you've figured out this one so quickly. Once installed, SH5 main install directory can not be moved around because lot of file paths will become messed up. This is also true for 90% of existing software after all. SH5 is not "portable" application...

Quote:

@vdr1981: can you confirm whether the current WoS package includes the "WHF-FUC_We Have Flooding-Flooding Under Control_Fix" patch? Someone suggested installing it in one of the other threads I was reading on Damage Control but then someone else said it was already included in WoS.

Thanks
Confirmed... You'll find generalized list of individual mods which are included in TWoS in the first post of "The Wolves of Steel" thread.

Be aware that if you use unsupported mods in combination with TWoS you may induce stability and gameplay related issues even if things appear OK at first glance.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-18, 10:29 PM   #11
Spectre-63
Sparky

Thx Vdr1981...I'm sure you can guess the reason behind my question. Unfortunately, whatever fix you made to address the "we have flooding/flooding under control" didn't seem to apply to the situation I was in last night...and all the duct tape on board had been used elsewhere.