SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-17-19, 02:56 PM   #2596
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Did another long bicycle tour todayy this time to the south, travelling through some very beautiful landscape which until today i had absolutely not on my radar, and passing thorugh Nordkirchen with a Barock castle wich I also did not know before, the Schloß Nordkirchen, which is being called the westphalian castle Versailles. Very beautiful, very nice park and garden, and impressvely huge (not as huge as Versailles or Sans-Soucis, but for itself: much bigger than the water-castles that I used to know from Northern Münster countryside, if you are visiting in the region, its worth to check the place, and youtube has many videos on Schloss Nordkirchen. Dortmund, what i saw of it, was not impressive, and I got into unprovoked verbal fights with local migrants three times in 15 minutes, so Dortmund all in all was a lousy experience, and what I say of it, three nothern sectors and the centre, looks very ugly, but my aim was the harbour west of the central station, where the Dortmund-Ems-Channel starts, and I got there and then returned home by following the channel. The channel is very intimate this early on, and almost fallen out of time near the harbour, the trees and vegetaiton look like IU happen to know from VERY old photographie, it is very different to the more open, wider, straighter design around Münster and more northward, so the moment I reached the channel, all was good again.

By the end of the day it were another 155km logged,of course everything filmed via bicycle cockpit cam. Excellent weather but not too hot, everything worked out well, like always when I plan my tours - I do so with utmost care and precision to minimise risks for unwanted surprises. I also got positively surprised, because I expected the first part to dortmund being just "transportation" (originally I wanted to do it by train), and the channel being the interesting part. Truth is, it was exactly the other way around, so i am glad I skipped the train idea.

In brief, I spent a wonderful day. Just my knee lets me know.
Old 06-17-19, 06:27 PM   #2597
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Just been informed I've won £20 on the Post Code Lottery so wondering what to spend this kings ransom on
Here's a novel idea .....beer.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-19, 02:19 AM   #2598
Sugardust
Watch

Downloads: 32
Default Finished map

Finished the map today. Did quite a bit of experimenting with this one, as before I've always stuck to very basic geographic large maps. It took quite a while longer than I expected, as I was too stubborn to make individual brushes for each unit counter, so I just drew each one by hand. You can see the original which is in much higher resolution on my DA - https://www.deviantart.com/jelly-dew
Sugardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-19, 06:18 AM   #2599
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Just been informed I've won £20 on the Post Code Lottery so wondering what to spend this kings ransom on
Money bags, I'm going to tip off the IRS on the day you move to America.

Hot and humid here today I could do without.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-19, 08:27 AM   #2600
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
Here's a novel idea .....beer.
Never thought of that...cheers

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-19, 11:59 AM   #2601
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

6:30 AM CALL THIS MORNING. THE WIFE IS HAVING FIRST OF NEW LENSES IN EYE TO CORRECT CATARACT PROBLEM. JUST BACK AND HAVING MCDONALDS AND COFFEE....OPERATION A SUCCESS: AS WIFE NOTED LAWN NEEDS MOWING AS I PULLED INTO THE DRIVEWAY! LOTS OF EYE-DROPS AND SUNGLASSES FOR A FEW DAYS; SECOND EYE IS NEXT MONTH... JEEZE! ARTIFICIAL PARTS.....ROBO-SPOUSE??!!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 06-21-19 at 02:24 AM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-19, 02:20 PM   #2602
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

I didn't know women had that problem too? I just assumed it was just men till now. Steve had it and I had the surgery now your wife. Tell her to take all of the eye drops they give you and then get some more. Plus don't get a cold between now and the second operation.

The reason I had not thought women need this all important eye operation is because just men were in the doctors waiting room for the two months that it took for mine.

She needs stronger light to read by too and tell her to wear those sun glasses all the time outside.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-19, 04:22 PM   #2603
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I've been putting off telling the bad news as I wasn't sure how bad it is. Along with all the other problems I've had swelling in my legs on-and-off for a couple of years now. Along with everything with everyone else, it became constant and annoying around the first of this year. The swelling led to sweating, and because the compression socks were getting soaked through a couple of weeks ago they started wrapping my legs in bandages. Putting all the problems together they said it was being caused either by my heart or my liver. Either one is equally bad, just different.

A week or so ago I was seeing the Liver Doctor. She was once again telling me how bad my liver is, and she said she would show me the numbers that explain it all. She brought her computer to the proper screen, and then did a double-take. It seems she had been going by the test results and hadn't looked at the numbers herself. She then told me that they start worrying when the numbers reach 14. My level is currently just below 9. Apparently my liver overall as bad as they thought.

Then today I was seeing the GI Doctor about my intestinal problem. A recent scan and biopsy showed on infections or inflammation, so I get to stop taking one of my regular medications. He then told me that they had all been consulting with each other and looking at traditional causes and effects. One connection they had not considered took everybody by surprise. What do swelling in the legs, loss of muscle mass, general weakness, and even certain types of diarrhea have in common? Loss of protein. It's possible that I might get rid of all these problems just by eating more meat and other high-protein foods and maybe some protein supplements.

Maybe.

They're doing a CT scan on my liver next week, and that should tell them more. Meanwhile I've let my hopes get up a little. Not too much, because it could still be related to heart disease. We'll see.
Old 06-20-19, 01:26 PM   #2604
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Fingers crossed for you, mate
Old 06-21-19, 02:05 AM   #2605
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Icon14

@Steve This sounds better, i hope that this loss of protein is really the reason. If, this would be easier to "heal"
Wish you all the best! Keeping my "thumbs pressed" (german proverb for 'fingers crossed')

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-19, 05:10 AM   #2606
STEED
Lucky Jack

Bloody German weather you stink, thanking you in advance of the stinking heatwave and very humid air coming from you! Sunday onwards is going to be bloody awful, its going to take more than a few frosty cold free beers from you lot to get back in my good books.

Off to work later to make the most of the fresh air before it leaves.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 06-21-19, 05:19 AM   #2607
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Stay strong Steve and wishing you a speedy recovery my friend.

Old 06-22-19, 06:07 AM   #2608
STEED
Lucky Jack

I manage to see my GP this week and he confirmed I got Plantar Fasciitis in my left heel and this is after my general research while waiting five weeks to see him. Given two weeks of exercises to do and if no improvement I have to contact him directly.

Old 06-22-19, 09:42 AM   #2609
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

WOKE UP NEXT TO THE BRIDE THIS MORNING AND WISHED HER A HAPPY 65 TH BIRTHDAY. SHE WAS WEARING A METAL NIGHTTIME EYE COVER TO PROTECT HER STILL HEALING EYE SURGERY; AND SHE COMPLAINED OF HER SCIATIC NERVE AND TAILBONE ACHING FROM A RECENT FALL IN THE GARDEN....A BIT STIFF FROM SCAMPERING ABOUT A SAILBOAT YESTERDAY MYSELF, I WICKEDLY REMINDED HER HOW SHE ONCE HAD SAID ENTHUSIASTICALLY: " WE GET TO GROW OLD TOGETHER '' SOME 37 YEARS AGO; I BARELY MADE IT OUT OF THE BEDROOM....< TO FEED THE CATS! AND MAKE THE COFFEE.... DAUGHTER IS HOSTING TONIGHT AT A LOCAL BISTRO TO COMBINE A BIRTHDAY/FATHER'S DAY DINNER WITH ALL HANDS... BUT OH: HOW ONE'S PERSPECTIVE CHANGES OVER TIME

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-19, 09:48 AM   #2610
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The boy rang me from Jakarta an hour or so ago so my day is sorted