SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-17-17, 08:17 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Addon alternatives for Firefox 57

With their latest version, the people at Mozilla have introduced some new file format for addons, needing addons to be manually adapted to that by their authors.

With No-Script, Mouse-Gestures and Single-Side-Bar, this has not been done. As a consequences, these addons do no longer work, and have been deactivated.

Does anyone know good and reliable alternatives to these that work under FF v57?
Old 11-17-17, 10:28 AM   #2
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

I would think that Popular add-ons should be updated soon if not already.... I don't know any other place to search for FF add-ons.

FVD 'Flash Video Downloader' was updated a couple weeks ago because of the new mp4 format.

One of my favorite add-ons 'Copy Plain Text 2' was never updated for one of the v56x versions and hasn't been touched by the author since.

I'm not a fan of the new 57 look yet, for example the folders in Bookmarks are flat grey now, yellow was better imo. Maybe it looks better in Win 10.

v57 has been working good
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 11:30 AM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker View Post
I would think that Popular add-ons should be updated soon if not already.... I don't know any other place to search for FF add-ons.

FVD 'Flash Video Downloader' was updated a couple weeks ago because of the new mp4 format.

One of my favorite add-ons 'Copy Plain Text 2' was never updated for one of the v56x versions and hasn't been touched by the author since.

I'm not a fan of the new 57 look yet, for example the folders in Bookmarks are flat grey now, yellow was better imo. Maybe it looks better in Win 10.

v57 has been working good
The thing is more profound this time, its not just the usual adaptation you get with every new number of FF. They anounced this basic hcnage already 2 months ago, and gave addon developers a warning to update and switch to the new what-ever-it-is. Users also got a notification 2 months in advance, in their addon tabs.
Old 11-21-17, 04:48 PM   #4
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

As an FYI for those who use No Script, the Firefox compatible fix/version has been released as of yesterday...

<O>
Old 11-21-17, 06:34 PM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Nice thanks! The other two addons I mentioned, are being discontinued, their authors said. The new Firefoxes limit what modders can do, and for these limitations need more work - they thus signed out, they said. There seems to be kind of comprosing going on at Mozilla. Maybe the reason why several developers for it have left it, and started to do their own thing. Hows your Vivaldi doing, Rocking Robbins?
Old 11-21-17, 06:37 PM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

This new No Script really is No-Script...??? It looks totally different and allows almost no, no, zero options and tunings? Just a white list? Confused.
Old 11-21-17, 07:52 PM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Disaster.

Mozillas needless move to Chrome's design and simplified addon interface that do not allow drop down menus and other stuff that was possible in the old code, forces No Script into a rollover to stick all four into the sky and play dead man in the water. Nothing works, and the majority of sites are broken with this addon active, and tuning stuff on and off, is a mpain with this one.

Disabled, and deinstalled. I follow it since some time now, that Firefox gets intentionally destroyed by its makers, it reminds me pretty much of the way Opera was destroyed somewhere after version 12 or 13 some years ago. I assume they want Firebird to become less privacy-protective so that more coins can be milked for businesses. Uninstalled this addon. And I think Firefoxd will follow soon, too. Its in a death spiral now, and they strip it of the most convincing argument that ever was in favour of Firefox: protection of privacy.

At least it is clear now to me why so many addon developers for Firefox have quit it in so noteworthy numbers in the past 3 months.

Firefox is no longer recommendable. Two thirds of safety and security addons I used, have been intentionally brought down and prohibited by Mozilla.
Old 11-21-17, 10:00 PM   #8
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

One of my sons has FireFox on his computer, with updates set to auto, and it "updated" for him the other day. He'd used FireFox with a plug-in to download folks playing guitar lessons, and can no longer do that. Now he wants to borrow my computer everyday, since I've got the updates turned off... - I don't know how long it'll last though. I've had updates turned off on the last Win8 computer in the house, and it's about to throw a hizzie fit and go against my will anyway in T-minus 3 days, or so it say... As soon as I can figure out how to do the Realtec wireless NIC in Ubuntu, Windows is gone. Firefox is gone. Adobe is gone. Apple is gone...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-17, 03:10 PM   #9
vienna
Navy Seal

The changes Firefox made to the addons, etc and their ability to co-exist with Firefox were mainly due to two major reasons: First, and most important, was a move to further secure Firefox from security and data breaches, resulting in the need to severely limit the options available to addon developers; Second, was to increase the speed and response of Firefox, which also meant jettisoning marginally 'necessary' aspects of the app...

<O>
Old 11-22-17, 03:31 PM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

I do not note a big speed advance while browsing, none at all, to be honest,and this speed advantage would be a luxury issue anyway, since Firefox was doing fine before, did what it should, and worked rleiably and without delays. But some people think it is coool to have a theoretical advantage in some time value. Meanwhile the safety valueof FF has been seripously compromised, since I am on a new system and had to adapt the new Firefox, Malwarebyte Anti-Malware has triggered seven alarms, in half as many days during browsing (and Windows Defender three or four). And protection of privacy? Has been intentionally destroyed. Scripts are all on now. Every piec eof code-$hit gets automatically carried out now, unwanted windows pop up all the time, adverts appear all the time.

Firefox 57 ist Scheiße. That simple it is. Once I am done setting up the new system with all the options for installed simulations and games, I will take care of taking FF out and getting probably Vivaldi.
Old 11-22-17, 08:33 PM   #11
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Several authors of add-ons have just quit in disgust at Mozilla's move. Tab Mix Plus may be one of them, one of my indispensable extensions. The rest have two choices, both of them bad.

Some of them worked several days straight with no sleep completely rewriting their mods from scratch. As soon as they worked at all, these authors released the update with apologies that they weren't fully functional but that they felt they had to release something, even if it wasn't complete.

The rest are working on upgrades to mods which are non-functioning now. They will work until they are happy with their extension and then release it. That means we'll have to just wait.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. it's not a fun time to be an author of Firefox extensions.

In the meantime I've already confirmed that Vivaldi is as quick as the new Firefox and am enjoying it immensely. I always have two browsers on my machine at all times and Firefox will be my back-up browser until they get their act together.

In the meantime, advantage Vivaldi!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-17, 07:04 AM   #12
Skybird
Soaring

Yeah, as soon as some calm has moved back in over here and I have completely settled with all the new stuff on my new rig, I will move to Vivaldi, i read lots of good news about it. Right now I am just obsessed with playing table tennis. LOL.
Old 11-23-17, 12:43 PM   #13
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi Guys
Why do I get a time delay with Firefox before I can do anything on Subsim whether it is entering text or waiting for the hand to show before I can click on a tab?
Google is instantaneous and no problem in that way although I have to remove text formatting which I do not with Firefox.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-17, 06:51 PM   #14
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Hi Guys
Why do I get a time delay with Firefox before I can do anything on Subsim whether it is entering text or waiting for the hand to show before I can click on a tab?
Google is instantaneous and no problem in that way although I have to remove text formatting which I do not with Firefox.
Peter
Very interesting, Peter. I've found that Firefox always had some speed issues, not enough to keep me from using it. The wide variety of extensions for Firefox always kept me loyal until now.

But I've used Vivaldi for the past three months, the bleeding edge v1.13.1008.30 (Official Build) snapshot (64-bit). The bleeding edge development build of Vivaldi has been absolutely ready for prime time so far. I'm impressed with their quality. It's been updating about every three days so their development cycle is really humming!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-17, 04:29 PM   #15
vienna
Navy Seal

The add-on developers probably only have themselves to blame; they are almost always advised on major changes to an app well in advance of the official release and its up to them to make the necessary adjustments. I haven't heard any credible reports from credible sources that Firefox just went ahead and sprung this new version 'out of the blue', without warning, so it can be presumed the add-on developers did indeed get warnings; it may be those developers who decided not to revise their add-ons did so because they either no longer wished to spend more time on the add-ons, were incapable of making the necessary revisions, or decided not to support Firefox users in favor of the users of Chrome, Edge, etc. In some cases, Firefox really might not be to blame...

An alternative view of Firefox Quantum from Wired:

Ciao, Chrome: Firefox Quantum Is The Browser Built for 2017 --

https://www.wired.com/story/firefox-...uilt-for-2017/

<O>