SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-25-17, 11:03 PM   #16
MADLOU
Gunner

Downloads: 1208
Uploads: 0

Yes Skyhigh, you are referring to your very good Red Storm Rising campaign mod. I really prefer yours over the stock ones. However, I was talking about sailing the seas in REAL TIME rather than just clicking on a sub on the map and dragging it around towards hostiles. In SH, you can leave a port in real time, that is, watch your sub sailing the high seas either in external mode or while on or in the sub. Now if you can make a mod that can do that. . .
MADLOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-17, 01:50 AM   #17
Skyhigh
A-ganger

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluntfarb View Post
Thanks all for the cogent responses, Looks like I'll be getting it. Happy Hunting.
You will definitely not regret it!
Skyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-17, 03:59 AM   #18
Naftis
Watch

Downloads: 20

Since this is my first post ever, I'd like to greet everyone and thank the operators for this unbelievably amazing forum!

Now to the matter at hand... I'm an on/off SH3 player for quite some time now and I love the simulation aspect of it. That been said, I realised that I haven't got the slightest clue about modern submarine warfare. So I went out on a patrol to the Great Web Sea to find my self a target. Thus I stumbled upon CW.
The game looks fine and is encouraging enough the fact that sub sim games are actually been made in 2017, set aside contemporary mods to older games.
What threw me off, however, is the all-seeing overview exterior camera and the fact that I haven't yet seen anyone playing without the almighty God's eye and no in any other one. Which brings me to the conclusion that there is no interior view or any other similar that would make me feel that I am actually IN a submarine with it's limitations of external awareness, apart from the sensor's representations available in the instruments.
The game shall remain in my wishlist, of course, and with a firing solution in my TDC readily available for it. But since I lack the means of investigating further the game, I would like anyone's expert opinion on how to make the game more of a simulation.
And in this spot, please accept my apologies for the long post, although there are more things to be said...

Thank you all for your patience and Happy Hunting.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-17, 07:33 AM   #19
Swordsman422
Watch

The idea of CW is really to simulate being in command of a submarine instead of simulating each station. It's your job as the skipper to say where the boat goes, how fast, and how it deploys its weapons against what target. You don't have to sit for hours at a time with a set of headphones on listening to the sounds of the ocean in hopes of hearing, say, the cooling pump noise of a Victor-III or the whap-whap-whap sound of a Sierra's screw so that you can count blades and derive how fast it's going. As the captain, someone does that for you. Yes, there is some manual control of the helm and the torpedoes optional, but that's a necessary element if you are to have precise control over where your Mk. 37 strikes a target to do maximum damage or play mongoose with enemy torpedoes.

If you are looking to take away some of the all-seeing awareness, the first things you can do are to uncheck the event camera option and select to only render enemy units after reaching a certain solution percentage (I think it's 75% or so). Both of these certainly can add to the challenge. Torpedoes can seem to come out of nowhere. A boomer you've been tracking can perform a Crazy Ivan, rush past you, disappear into your baffles as you turn, and never be seen or heard from again.
Swordsman422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-17, 07:52 AM   #20
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

I am noticing that my torpedoes don't "show" a target unless I activate the torpedo's on-board active sonar search. I am glad for that.

I know that if the torpedo's active sonar goes active, all in the AO can hear it. But, if I can get a couple hits in before the enemy units start running away, I get a jump on them. Keeping the torpedo on the other side of the layer helps, too. But, then I have to be concerned with having an accurate fix so I can pop up the torpedo at the target in a passive mode.

Lots of variables...
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-17, 08:32 AM   #21
Naftis
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman422 View Post
The idea of CW is really to simulate being in command of a submarine instead of simulating each station. It's your job as the skipper to say where the boat goes, how fast, and how it deploys its weapons against what target. You don't have to sit for hours at a time with a set of headphones on listening to the sounds of the ocean in hopes of hearing, say, the cooling pump noise of a Victor-III or the whap-whap-whap sound of a Sierra's screw so that you can count blades and derive how fast it's going. As the captain, someone does that for you. Yes, there is some manual control of the helm and the torpedoes optional, but that's a necessary element if you are to have precise control over where your Mk. 37 strikes a target to do maximum damage or play mongoose with enemy torpedoes.

If you are looking to take away some of the all-seeing awareness, the first things you can do are to uncheck the event camera option and select to only render enemy units after reaching a certain solution percentage (I think it's 75% or so). Both of these certainly can add to the challenge. Torpedoes can seem to come out of nowhere. A boomer you've been tracking can perform a Crazy Ivan, rush past you, disappear into your baffles as you turn, and never be seen or heard from again.
Thanks for the reply, Swordsman422! Greatly appreciate it.

All you are saying are well understood and accepted. Being a ship officer my self in real life, I greatly appreciate my crew doing their jobs so I can do mine in the follow up.
My concern wasn't so much on manning a particular station as in SH, for example, but rather to have a view other than an external camera. A chart display, for example. Anything other than seeing my sub from the outside and maneuvering to avoid incoming weapons without actually seeing them coming through the camera.
Since I haven't seen anyone using any other view than the external one, my question was if the game gives me the ability to choose not to see the external camera at all.
Please accept my apology if I wasn't clear in the initial post and thank you once more! [emoji2]

Last edited by Naftis; 09-29-17 at 09:14 AM.
Naftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-17, 09:17 AM   #22
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Naftis!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-17, 09:34 AM   #23
Swordsman422
Watch

Oh. Sorry. I misunderstood.

Yeah, you can actually go into an enlarged tactical map screen and play entirely from there, though manual helm control and torpedo wire guidance might be best accomplished from the 3D window.
Swordsman422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-17, 09:53 AM   #24
Naftis
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman422 View Post
Oh. Sorry. I misunderstood.

Yeah, you can actually go into an enlarged tactical map screen and play entirely from there, though manual helm control and torpedo wire guidance might be best accomplished from the 3D window.
No problem at all, mate! Thank you once more! Off I go to grab the game after your info!!!

UPDATE:

So, as I mentioned above, I went forward and bought CW from Steam. And, Oh my.....
That is a fantastic game, to say the least! Even for short sighted fools like my self who don't like seeing their beautiful subs from the outside (Although devilishly tempting, to be honest...) you can switch to tactical map, as mate Swordsman422 kindly suggested, and pass agonizing moments trying to juggle between staying undetected while trying to annihilate the enemy (where appropriate). Usual submarine warfare stuff, you know...
In order to answer to the question of this thread if CW worth it, the answer is: Bloody hell yes it does! If you wish to feel tension that can be cut with a knife, then that one is for you!

Hunt them or haunt them!

Last edited by Naftis; 09-29-17 at 02:42 PM.
Naftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-17, 05:16 PM   #25
-Pv-
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

As you have discovered, much of the appreciation for the game comes from playing it. It's challenging for players to create text descriptions of how the game plays for them and why they like it. For this reason and many others, anyone interested should really research YouTube videos. Not reviews, but play-throughs. You would see more experienced players using the navigation map only as described as well as player's first run through experience learning the UI.

After this, you would be able to ask questions about things you didn't understand and get much more focused answers.

Naftis learned you don't have to play with the 3D animations if you want commander's chart table experience. He also discovered that even without interior views of stations and crews, the game is captivating and playable as a tactical simulator rather than a first person environment simulator.

Unfortunately, the very accurate and appropriate sales promo as a Red Storm Rising inspiration (best selling book and game) while very helpful to long time sub sim enthusiasts, very few players introduced to games in the last 20 years have any idea what this really means.

-Pv-
-Pv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-17, 09:37 PM   #26
Wiz33
Navy Dude

Downloads: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naftis View Post
Since this is my first post ever, I'd like to greet everyone and thank the operators for this unbelievably amazing forum!

Now to the matter at hand... I'm an on/off SH3 player for quite some time now and I love the simulation aspect of it. That been said, I realised that I haven't got the slightest clue about modern submarine warfare. So I went out on a patrol to the Great Web Sea to find my self a target. Thus I stumbled upon CW.
The game looks fine and is encouraging enough the fact that sub sim games are actually been made in 2017, set aside contemporary mods to older games.
What threw me off, however, is the all-seeing overview exterior camera and the fact that I haven't yet seen anyone playing without the almighty God's eye and no in any other one. Which brings me to the conclusion that there is no interior view or any other similar that would make me feel that I am actually IN a submarine with it's limitations of external awareness, apart from the sensor's representations available in the instruments.
The game shall remain in my wishlist, of course, and with a firing solution in my TDC readily available for it. But since I lack the means of investigating further the game, I would like anyone's expert opinion on how to make the game more of a simulation.
And in this spot, please accept my apologies for the long post, although there are more things to be said...

Thank you all for your patience and Happy Hunting.

Simple answer. People that stream CW will always use the god's view as it makes the video look more exciting and help pull in viewers. This question was actually answered by one of the most popular CW streamer Jive Turkey.
Wiz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-17, 06:32 AM   #27
Naftis
Watch

Thank you Pv and Wiz33 for sharing your thoughts!
Normally I wouldn't bother anyone with my questions before doing my homework. However, since I'm still on board the ship doing my duties time and Internet resources are limited.
Buying and downloading the game itself required me to assign my poor cadet to go ashore and get me a prepaid sim card which was just enough to complete the previously mentioned task and to watch a few videos on YouTube (since using ship's satellite network for the latter is an absolute no no...). So I was just limited to forums and the occasional Screenshots here and there.
But for the info that you mates provided for me here, one way or the other, made me to decide and act, and for that I'm truly grateful!
Enjoying every minute of the game thus far, by the way! ☺️
Old 09-30-17, 10:58 AM   #28
-Pv-
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

In your case Naftis, it's good that Cold Waters has the option to run the exe directly without the Steam app so you can play without a constant network connection.

-Pv-
-Pv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-17, 11:55 AM   #29
Naftis
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pv- View Post
In your case Naftis, it's good that Cold Waters has the option to run the exe directly without the Steam app so you can play without a constant network connection.

-Pv-
Indeed! The same goes to SH3, thankfully...
Old 09-30-17, 03:04 PM   #30
Wiz33
Navy Dude

Downloads: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naftis View Post
Thank you Pv and Wiz33 for sharing your thoughts!
Normally I wouldn't bother anyone with my questions before doing my homework. However, since I'm still on board the ship doing my duties time and Internet resources are limited.
Buying and downloading the game itself required me to assign my poor cadet to go ashore and get me a prepaid sim card which was just enough to complete the previously mentioned task and to watch a few videos on YouTube (since using ship's satellite network for the latter is an absolute no no...). So I was just limited to forums and the occasional Screenshots here and there.
But for the info that you mates provided for me here, one way or the other, made me to decide and act, and for that I'm truly grateful!
Enjoying every minute of the game thus far, by the way! ☺️
Before you run out on your SIM card. Take a look at mods available and grab the ones you want. It will give you more stuff to play while you're deployed.
Wiz33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold waters, opinion, sims