SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-26-17, 04:12 AM   #1
t3redundee
Watch

Downloads: 181
Uploads: 0
Default capn scurvy's high realism tutorial

G'day Fellow Seafarin Mates,
Can anybody tell me where I can find capn scurvy's high realism tutorial.
I've been trying Dick O'Kanes Attack rules and the torpedoes always end up 100 yards or so behind the target.
Thanks in advance ....I did try searching but nothing came up.
t3redundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-17, 04:34 AM   #2
t3redundee
Watch

I tried to edit this post but failed.
I've trying Capnscurveys download (High realism test with nippon) with DickO'KanesAttack Rules and I'll stuffed if I can hit the target.The torpedoes are always 100 yards or so behind the target no matter what lead angle or AOB I try. The attack map always points directly at the target therefore thats where the torpedoes go. Am I missing something here?
Help would much appreciated
Old 08-26-17, 07:02 AM   #3
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

There's one thing that will put the torpedoes behind your target whatever you do and that is failing to open the torpedo tubes before you fire! The TDC calculates the shot for when you push the fire button, but when you do, safety protocols keep the torpedo from firing until the tube door is open. That puts it behind the target.

Which is usually better than a contact explosion against the closed outer torpedo door.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-17, 07:34 AM   #4
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

"High Realism Tutorial" is on one of the back pages of the "Downloads/Silent Hunter 4/Gameplay mods" found on this forum site. Or, follow THIS LINK. The latest version of the "AoB Calculator", which is a nice tool to use with the game, can me downloaded HERE.

As Rockin Robbins noted, a result of torpedoes always missing to the stern of a target is the torpedo doors were not opened before you fired. Open each tube door before firing. They will stay open for a specific period of time, then close on their own after a firing, or exceeding the time limit. The Message Text Box will tell you which tube door you opened, or when you tell it to close.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-17, 09:10 AM   #5
t3redundee
Watch

I always open the tube doors but maybe prematurely. Any idea on the specific period of time? I try not to be in a rush come firing time.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-26-17, 11:27 AM   #6
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

No, I've never timed it.....maybe several minutes. You'll not get a text "notice" that their closing, they just do. If it's been a while since you opened them, it's a good idea to open them again (the command button is a "toggle", meaning it will open on one push/close on the next). If the Text Message reads "Tube Door Closing" it means the door was still open at the time you last checked. Just push the button again to get the "Tube Door Open" message prior to firing.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-17, 10:45 PM   #7
gumbeauregard
Seaman

Downloads: 16

Are you using O'kanes constant bearing technique?

You calculate the firing bearing for a zero gyro angle shot based upon target speed and torpedo speed.

For example, the firing bearing for a 29 knot electric torpedo on a 12 knot target is 22.4 degrees.

If this is the method you are using you must calculate the firing bearing from accurate data.

Target speed and torpedo speed.

Steam torpedoes in US boats are 46 knots in high speed (the only speed I use since I shoot from less than 1000 yards) Electrics are 29 knots.

You calculate the firing bearing by finding the Arctangent of the target speed divided by the torpedo speed.

Set the AOB to 90 to 110 but dont touch anything else. Your gyro angle should be zero. Fire when the part of the ship you want to target touches the wire.

Doors should be open but I did work out the math for firing accurately with doors closed. It can be done accurately if you are concerned the doors opening will give you away.

All the math is in a spreadsheet I keep handy.

Wikipedia has a great chart but it only applies to 46 knot torpedoes.

If you are missing aft, your target speed is wrong or torpedo speed or the doors are shut or your firing bearing is wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torped...ctionAngle.png
gumbeauregard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-17, 04:05 AM   #8
t3redundee
Watch

OK I have success.It seams I wasn't using the PK correctly. It was turned off.
Capn scurvy tutorial says to turn it ON and Dick O'Kanes method says to leave it off.
I need clarification on this difference.
Thank you all for your advice, in particular gumbeauregard for your input and info. I've downloaded and printed out the Intercept-torpedo data comp. & Deflection angle vs Target Angle & Target speed to digest and apply. Also whoever put the 3 methods of Attack Rules together thank you or them also.
A lot to digest for a noob enjoyable also.