SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-26-07, 10:30 AM   #1
CrocodileDundee
Mate

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0
Photo recon missions

I managed to do pretty much all the missions except this one. (5 patrols until now, 120.000 tonnes sunk).

I had to take a photo thingie of Yokohama harbour. No problemo I thought. I spent horus sneaking in the harbour, reached the marked area, took the scope up, locked it on a vessel in the port (so I could get the photo button active), took the shot; => result: mission incomplete. Tried all combinations: daylight/night; different angles, different positions, nothing works.

Anyone did this right?

I also can't seem to be able to rescue pilots. Any thoughts here?
Old 03-26-07, 10:49 AM   #2
tedhealy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 13

You need many photos to complete the photo recon mission. Or at least that is how it worked in the quick mission. I had to take about 7 photos of 7 different ships before it was complete.
tedhealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 10:54 AM   #3
CrocodileDundee
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhealy
You need many photos to complete the photo recon mission. Or at least that is how it worked in the quick mission. I had to take about 7 photos of 7 different ships before it was complete.
Thanks man, the only problem is there was just one ship accessible/lockable from the observation position indicated by the mission.

Thanks anyway! Good hunting!
Old 08-05-18, 09:54 AM   #4
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocodileDundee View Post
Thanks man, the only problem is there was just one ship accessible/lockable from the observation position indicated by the mission.

Thanks anyway! Good hunting!
Something overlooked often is that the ships you are supposed to photograph might have already left the harbor because you took to long to get there, or they might be on the way still, or you encountered ships near the harbor, got greedy and sank them, and those were the very ships you were supposed to photo once they got to the harbor.

I've done all three with p-poor results, of course!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-07, 12:59 PM   #5
tycho102
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

Quote:
I have only had to take one picture in the 3 port missions I've done.
tycho102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-07, 01:08 PM   #6
nfitzsimmons
Planesman

Downloads: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycho102
Quote:
I have only had to take one picture in the 3 port missions I've done.
Same here.

nfitzsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-07, 01:45 PM   #7
Quillan
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 2

Snuffy, I'm not 100% positive of the requirements, but I think you have to lock the target (you did) and you have to have a minimum quality level of the photo. On my Osaka photorecon, the weather was sooooo bad I couldn't even pick up the enemy ships until I was less than 600 yards off, and even then I couldn't take photos. After waiting a day for the weather to clear, I could take shots from 2500 yards out. It may also require you to target the biggest or most valuable ship in the harbor. At Osaka, I wound up taking a pic of a large modern tanker, as there were no capital ships in port.
Old 03-26-07, 10:54 AM   #8
bobo
Bosun

Downloads: 19

I did this just yesterday.....not sure why but I locked onto every ship in that harbor and took a picture. When I checked my objectives it said complete.

by the way....on your way out, check to see whats in the harbor just South of that one. I had a few targets of opportunity took out 2 parked Heavy Cruisers and the DD on station just outside the harbor.
6GB RAM
Primary drive 4x 146GB 10k SAS Raid 0
Backup drive 2x 500GB SATA Raid 1
8800GTS Superclocked 320MB
SBAudigy with 5.1 speaker setup
HP 24inch Widescreen LCD
bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 11:07 AM   #9
CrocodileDundee
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo
I did this just yesterday.....not sure why but I locked onto every ship in that harbor and took a picture. When I checked my objectives it said complete.

by the way....on your way out, check to see whats in the harbor just South of that one. I had a few targets of opportunity took out 2 parked Heavy Cruisers and the DD on station just outside the harbor.
No, no, I didn't miss those... I actually sunk 2 heavy cruisers a battleship and a destroyer (actually the destroyer just got into the path of a torpedo aimed at a battleship )

Just to have fun a launched a fish at a landed hydroplane. It literally blew it outa water! :rotfl:
Old 03-26-07, 11:46 AM   #10
Schlageter-JG26
Helmsman

Downloads: 31

BIG QUESTION - What photo button?

I had this mission once before and I sat in that harbor for over a day (had to wait for darkness to get through a shallow area and off to safety - wasn't Yokohama). But I never found a photo button. I ID'd every ship in harbor, locked them all, etc and never got the finish button. Where is this photo button that I never saw?:hmm:
Schlageter-JG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 01:18 PM   #11
phatmatt
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlageter-JG26
BIG QUESTION - What photo button?

I had this mission once before and I sat in that harbor for over a day (had to wait for darkness to get through a shallow area and off to safety - wasn't Yokohama). But I never found a photo button. I ID'd every ship in harbor, locked them all, etc and never got the finish button. Where is this photo button that I never saw?:hmm:
Its where your periscope buttons are, on the right side, when you lock up a ship it will light up and you can take a picture
Old 04-27-07, 09:00 AM   #12
Snacko
Engineer

Downloads: 58

Same question, sorry....

What Photo button? The Red button with the S in it I thought indicated you had locked the target. The other buttons are for selecting torpedos, and the big red one is for fireing a torpedo. So, is it the Lock button, that becomes the Photo button? And if I press the L key to Lock the target does it also take a Photo??

Can you circle the button that I am supposed to press. I am thinking that it is a button like the Dock at Port button that magically appears when it's ready... So, I am obviously confused.

I am in a Jap harbour ready to take pictures when the sun comes up. I want to finish this mission tonight, and don't want to waste a bunch of time trying to find this Photo button.

Thanks...
Old 04-27-07, 01:59 PM   #13
Snacko
Engineer

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatmatt
Its where your periscope buttons are, on the right side, when you lock up a ship it will light up and you can take a picture
I think this comment is what made me think it was on the screen with the Red S button for Locking targets.

Another Quesiton:
When you Lock the target, do you have to have a Green Triangle (Good Lock) for the Photo button to light up? Or will any lock work??