SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-10, 05:42 PM   #31
sabretwo
Frogman

Downloads: 69
Uploads: 0

Makman,

Sorry if I am becoming a PITA with all of my questions lately. Your work on this GUI is simply amazing and reviewing your tutorials you certainly have a deep knowledge of how these tools work.

As a novice to your GUI, I am still going crazy trying to figure some of this out. After several years of using OLC Gold's AOB finder, I pretty much had it mastered and routinely got great solutions. Your GUI looks and feels very similar, but is still a bit of a mystery to me.

With the attack periscope at 12X, I am getting good ranges. However, the trouble I am having now is AOB. I am trying to use the instructions you provided in your tutorial for MaGUI 3.4 but my AOB determinations are wildly wrong.

Sorry I can't screenshot SH3 images in Win 7, but I'll try to explain an example...

I am stationary and determining a solution for attacking a Medium Merchant (length 140.5). My zoom is set at max of the two zoom options for the attack periscope (presumably 12X). I calculated the range at 1,400 meters. (I verified the accuracy of this later by having the Weapon Officer automatically calcualte a solution) I then moved the wheel so that the '14' on the outside of the wheel (1,400 meters) is opposite '140.5' on the outer ring (the length of the vessel). I then center the vertical crosshair on the ship and count horizontl tick marks toward the bow of the ship. With the reticle in MaGUI Widescreen (different scale than the reticle in MaGUI 3.4) I get 12 marks (two ticks beyond the 10-degree mark). Reading the AOB on the inner ring opposite the '12' value on the inside of the wheel, I get an AOB of 15-degrees (which I can tell by eye is very wrong). When I auto-solved the solution immediately afterward to double-check my calculations, SH3 auto-solved the AOB at 147-degrees.

What am I doing wrong here?

I greatly appreciate your help and patience. I am determined to master your GUI yet!
Old 11-15-10, 12:00 PM   #32
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabretwo View Post
Makman,

Sorry if I am becoming a PITA with all of my questions lately. Your work on this GUI is simply amazing and reviewing your tutorials you certainly have a deep knowledge of how these tools work.

As a novice to your GUI, I am still going crazy trying to figure some of this out. After several years of using OLC Gold's AOB finder, I pretty much had it mastered and routinely got great solutions. Your GUI looks and feels very similar, but is still a bit of a mystery to me.

With the attack periscope at 12X, I am getting good ranges. However, the trouble I am having now is AOB. I am trying to use the instructions you provided in your tutorial for MaGUI 3.4 but my AOB determinations are wildly wrong.

Sorry I can't screenshot SH3 images in Win 7, but I'll try to explain an example...

I am stationary and determining a solution for attacking a Medium Merchant (length 140.5). My zoom is set at max of the two zoom options for the attack periscope (presumably 12X). I calculated the range at 1,400 meters. (I verified the accuracy of this later by having the Weapon Officer automatically calcualte a solution) I then moved the wheel so that the '14' on the outside of the wheel (1,400 meters) is opposite '140.5' on the outer ring (the length of the vessel). I then center the vertical crosshair on the ship and count horizontl tick marks toward the bow of the ship. With the reticle in MaGUI Widescreen (different scale than the reticle in MaGUI 3.4) I get 12 marks (two ticks beyond the 10-degree mark). Reading the AOB on the inner ring opposite the '12' value on the inside of the wheel, I get an AOB of 15-degrees (which I can tell by eye is very wrong). When I auto-solved the solution immediately afterward to double-check my calculations, SH3 auto-solved the AOB at 147-degrees.

What am I doing wrong here?

I greatly appreciate your help and patience. I am determined to master your GUI yet!
hi Sabretwo,

i have no problem answering your questions but i am wondering ...have you read my notes for MaGui's optics ? (that is the first thing i would have done...).everything you need to know is written there.

in there you would have read this :

each mark at both horizontal and vertical scale (at both scopes) is 1

note:
-----
if you count the half length of ship then each mark at horizontal scale (and only at horizontal) is 2

so, to answer your question you have to look opposite ''24'' to find your aob.
opposite ''24'' you will read aob=31+ or aob=180-31+ = 149- (tool can't calculate complementary angles) which is very close to the correct solution (of 147 degrees).
( pay attention to this: opposite 12 is 15+ and not 15- as you say so i am suspecting that you accidentally have matched 14 with 145 and not 140,5....check this).

tip: i suggest to count the FULL length of ship (not the half) becuase sh3 has a bug that is NOT CENTERING to all ships when scope is locked on them (this bug is still...unsolved).

the 'fault' of these 1-2 degrees at aob is becuase :
a) not exactly correct range measurment
or
b) faults at the desing of tool itself
or
c) not correct ship's dimensions (thats why you need the TMT mod here)
or
d) a combination of all the aboves

but have in mind that a tiny fault at aob is acceptable (till 10 degrees) becuase your target is close (using the rings is only recommended for fast solutions) and if your speed measure is ok ....then your torp will ...hit .

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
Old 11-15-10, 01:04 PM   #33
sabretwo
Frogman

Downloads: 69

Makman,

Thank you. That makes sense now. I'll try it again tonight.

I read several of the references in the MaGUI 3.4 documents folder and the tutorials throughout the threads, but not in MaGUI Widescreen. (I didn't see any documents in the folder.)

Thanks again!
Old 11-25-10, 06:34 AM   #34
Bruce_Will_Es
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hi Makman,

this mod is fully compatible to your MaGui Final mod?

Thanks for your great work!

Old 11-25-10, 07:23 AM   #35
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Will_Es View Post
Hi Makman,

this mod is fully compatible to your MaGui Final mod?

Thanks for your great work!
The answer of your question you´ll find here: http://174.123.69.202/~subsimc/radio...&postcount=326

Best regards,
Magic
Old 11-25-10, 07:26 AM   #36
Bruce_Will_Es
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Oh man, I'm blind behind my glasses. Thanks mate!

Old 11-25-10, 07:28 AM   #37
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Will_Es View Post
Oh man, I'm blind behind my glasses. Thanks mate!

Hehehehe, no Problem !!!
Old 01-19-11, 08:25 AM   #38
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3214

@Makman: Hi! I´m trying - for first time - the WideScreen MaGUI. Until now, I used the MaGUI Final. The WS looks awesome in my 1360x768 resolution LCD monitor, but I have three questions:

1 - I see the up face of the angschriffe disc, in MaGUI F I have the down face also. The MaGUI WS have only a face of the disc?

2 - When apply the MaGUI WS via JSGME, it overwrites the d3d9.dll of my Kegety´s HiResFix. Conserves the MaGUI WS the ResFix or no? It seems yes, I see good resolution in the game, but I´m not sure. The FRAPS is known for don´t work with K ResFix, but with MaGUI WS works fine.

3 - Minor detail: In the selection screen, the screenie movie is lightly displaced in reference to the periscope ilustration. No problem at all, only I want to know if it is my problem or a little "bug" of the WS GUI.

Many thanks for the GUI, I´m adopting now the WS version.

(I like a WS MaGUI Final, Is it in your plans?).

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
Old 01-20-11, 08:39 AM   #39
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
@Makman: Hi! I´m trying - for first time - the WideScreen MaGUI. Until now, I used the MaGUI Final. The WS looks awesome in my 1360x768 resolution LCD monitor, but I have three questions:

1 - I see the up face of the angschriffe disc, in MaGUI F I have the down face also. The MaGUI WS have only a face of the disc?

2 - When apply the MaGUI WS via JSGME, it overwrites the d3d9.dll of my Kegety´s HiResFix. Conserves the MaGUI WS the ResFix or no? It seems yes, I see good resolution in the game, but I´m not sure. The FRAPS is known for don´t work with K ResFix, but with MaGUI WS works fine.

3 - Minor detail: In the selection screen, the screenie movie is lightly displaced in reference to the periscope ilustration. No problem at all, only I want to know if it is my problem or a little "bug" of the WS GUI.

Many thanks for the GUI, I´m adopting now the WS version.

(I like a WS MaGUI Final, Is it in your plans?).

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo
hi Fitzcarraldo,

For 1: WS MaGui was based on MaGui v3.4 and (as in MaGui v3.4) the back side of attack disc is attached to Navigator officer's orders

for 2: yes, WS MaGui will overwrite Kegety´s HiResFix and that is exactly what must be done. WS MaGui is containing its own d3d9.dll (made by Seeadler) which is absolutely necessery for WS MaGui to work properly.(of course will improve your resolution as it is setted to 1360x768)
note: it is better to unistall and completely remove the Kegety´s HiResFix before installing WS MaGui . (don't think that is so good ... dlls to be overwritten)

for 3: no it is not a bug but the video's area position(the video that you see through 'periscope' at main menu) can't be changed so you see just graphics for 'fulling' the rest area at the enlarged 1360x768

ps: no plans for further version . this project is ended .

bye

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods

Last edited by makman94; 01-20-11 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-20-11, 12:25 PM   #40
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94 View Post
hi Fitzcarraldo,

For 1: WS MaGui was based on MaGui v3.4 and (as in MaGui v3.4) the back side of attack disc is attached to Navigator officer's orders

for 2: yes, WS MaGui will overwrite Kegety´s HiResFix and that is exactly what must be done. WS MaGui is containing its own d3d9.dll (made by Seeadler) which is absolutely necessery for WS MaGui to work properly.(of course will improve your resolution as it is setted to 1360x768)
note: it is better to unistall and completely remove the Kegety´s HiResFix before installing WS MaGui . (don't think that is so good ... dlls to be overwritten)

for 3: no it is not a bug but the video's area position(the video that you see through 'periscope' at main menu) can't be changed so you see just graphics for 'fulling' the rest area at the enlarged 1360x768

ps: no plans for further version . this project is ended .

bye
Many thaks, Makman!

My Kegety´s ResFix is set to 1360x768. But with the Seeadler d3d9, I don´t see the same quality of graphics I have with Kegety´s. Really the Seeadler d3d9 set the graphic resolution to 1360x768 in external camera? (for example). The MaGUI WS works fine in my monitor, but (my sensation) the graphic quality with the Seeadler d3d9 in external camera (or in bridge), is inferior than I obtain with Kegety´s.

No problem at all; I prefer to have the Wide screen GUI to better graphics in external camera.

Other detail: with Seeadler d3d9, the objects in external camera (the U-boat, for example) have the correct proportions. With Kegety´s set to 1360x768, the objects appears longer and circles are ovals. I think both resolution fixes works in different way.

Best regards!

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
Old 01-27-11, 10:40 PM   #41
drakkhen20
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 345
Ssssooooo............. What happens if you run it in 1920x1080? Like 16:9 ratio? Btw makman.... The guis are very beautiful and defintly gets you imersed into the game. Great job to all who took part in this mod and to makman for fine tuning things up. Sweet. Oh... What enviro do you use because I think I have it but not sure?
Old 02-19-11, 08:42 AM   #42
bowfin
Seaman

Downloads: 95

Thanks so much for making this. I pity Ubi. They'll need a team of 10 guys working for 7 years to catch up to the work of yourself and all the other moders. Even then they'll never get it as good as this!

I just went and tried it over your MaGui Final even though it is not compatible and it worked just fine. I had perfect round circles with no black bars on the sides of my 16:9 monitor and Nvidia250gt. When the mission loaded I had to alt-tab to desktop and there was a message saying missing files 0x3f070017 0x2620e001 0x2620f001.
I clicked ok and then alt-tab back into game and played the whole patrol... sunk a destroyer with a do or die stern shot ( the crew cheered !) and sunk 2 large cargo ships.

That was the most fun I ever had with silent hunter. So good to finally play in wide screen with 5.1 surround sound and with manual targeting !

Last edited by bowfin; 02-19-11 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-19-11, 11:55 AM   #43
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowfin View Post
Thanks so much for making this. I pity Ubi. They'll need a team of 10 guys working for 7 years to catch up to the work of yourself and all the other moders. Even then they'll never get it as good as this!

I just went and tried it over your MaGui Final even though it is not compatible and it worked just fine. I had perfect round circles with no black bars on the sides of my 16:9 monitor and Nvidia250gt. When the mission loaded I had to alt-tab to desktop and there was a message saying missing files 0x3f070017 0x2620e001 0x2620f001.
I clicked ok and then alt-tab back into game and played the whole patrol... sunk a destroyer with a do or die stern shot ( the crew cheered !) and sunk 2 large cargo ships.

That was the most fun I ever had with silent hunter. So good to finally play in wide screen with 5.1 surround sound and with manual targeting !
But really you have MaGUI final or MaGUI 3.4 WS? If you install WS after the MaGUI Final, I think you overwrites the MaGUI Final and the result is the MaGUI 3.4 Widescreen.

I don´t try your solution, only this is my speculation

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

Old 02-19-11, 05:26 PM   #44
bowfin
Seaman

Downloads: 95

I tried installing widescreen 3.4 over both Magui final and Magui 3.4. so see what happens. They both worked. Final has little differences like the map tools... so I can tell it's final. The only problem with final that I could see was that when I loaded the mission I had to alt-tab to desk top and click ok on missing file message, then alt-tab back to mission and it worked fine. It still looked like Magui final to me with the different map plotting tools.

I not asking for help with error messages. I know I should follow instructions if I want support. I just notice it worked doing this and thought others would like to know.

One question I have is: in narrow screen the back of the attack wheel is brought up with "B" button and front of attack wheel is brought up with "F" button. But in both MaGui final and Magui 3.4 wide-screen when I press the little round button on the bottom left next to the dials button I get a yellow hue to the periscope. Is this a filter? I assumed it was the error with the back of the attack wheel at first. but then I found the back of the attack wheel on the right of the screen when the nav officer is selected. Now I don't know what it is.
Old 02-19-11, 06:20 PM   #45
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowfin View Post
I tried installing widescreen 3.4 over both Magui final and Magui 3.4. so see what happens. They both worked. Final has little differences like the map tools... so I can tell it's final. The only problem with final that I could see was that when I loaded the mission I had to alt-tab to desk top and click ok on missing file message, then alt-tab back to mission and it worked fine. It still looked like Magui final to me with the different map plotting tools.

I not asking for help with error messages. I know I should follow instructions if I want support. I just notice it worked doing this and thought others would like to know.

One question I have is: in narrow screen the back of the attack wheel is brought up with "B" button and front of attack wheel is brought up with "F" button. But in both MaGui final and Magui 3.4 wide-screen when I press the little round button on the bottom left next to the dials button I get a yellow hue to the periscope. Is this a filter? I assumed it was the error with the back of the attack wheel at first. but then I found the back of the attack wheel on the right of the screen when the nav officer is selected. Now I don't know what it is.
It is a filter. MaGUI WS have the botton for the front of AOB finder, and the bottom of the AOB turns on with the Navigator icon. It´s a slider at the right of the screen.

Can you post an image of your MaGUI installed, attack periscope view?

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

Closed Thread