SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > Subsim 3.0 R & D
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-27-12, 01:09 AM   #16
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0

Hey McBeck,

I would prefer to have a solid idea of what this is going to look like, a list of features, etc before we really get going. These things strongly influence the code we write, and should be well thought out ahead of time. As far as the actual art assets themselves, yeah those can wait.

My concern with the tabbed layout is that Google is pushing the action bar paradigm pretty hard, and in a year or so, tabs might start to look very out of place to the general android user. I'm not concerned about supporting older OSes, this library is supposed to be fantastic for that: http://actionbarsherlock.com/ . I'm open to staying with the tabbed layout though, whatever we think will work best for the app. As I see it, the pros for the action bar are:
- I generally think it looks better . Tabs remind me of early versions of android.
- fits better within current android design paradigms.
- if we ever get to more than two actions, it's easier/looks better to throw those into an action bar.
- can throw a subsim logo onto the action bar, better branding.

Enjoy your vacation McBeck!

PD
PeriscopeDepth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 11:34 PM   #17
McBeck
Admiral

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeriscopeDepth View Post
Hey McBeck,

I would prefer to have a solid idea of what this is going to look like, a list of features, etc before we really get going. These things strongly influence the code we write, and should be well thought out ahead of time. As far as the actual art assets themselves, yeah those can wait.

My concern with the tabbed layout is that Google is pushing the action bar paradigm pretty hard, and in a year or so, tabs might start to look very out of place to the general android user. I'm not concerned about supporting older OSes, this library is supposed to be fantastic for that: http://actionbarsherlock.com/ . I'm open to staying with the tabbed layout though, whatever we think will work best for the app. As I see it, the pros for the action bar are:
- I generally think it looks better . Tabs remind me of early versions of android.
- fits better within current android design paradigms.
- if we ever get to more than two actions, it's easier/looks better to throw those into an action bar.
- can throw a subsim logo onto the action bar, better branding.

Enjoy your vacation McBeck!

PD
Ok, lets get the functional aspects in place, but as a group effort.

These are my suggestions:
1) Subsim news
2) naval news
3) forums

I have no problem with using action bars. You sound like you have that argument well in place and the technical solution used is only there to support the functional requirements. I'm not biased towards one or other technical solution

"I like subcommanders...they dont have time for bull****!"

Proud member of the Subsim army of zombies
Becks website
McBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 11:38 PM   #18
McBeck
Admiral

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBeck View Post
Ok, lets get the functional aspects in place, but as a group effort.

These are my suggestions:
1) Subsim news
2) naval news
3) forums

I have no problem with using action bars. You sound like you have that argument well in place and the technical solution used is only there to support the functional requirements. I'm not biased towards one or other technical solution
I will start a thread on the functional requirements, so we can continue there :-D

"I like subcommanders...they dont have time for bull****!"

Proud member of the Subsim army of zombies
Becks website
McBeck is offline   Reply With Quote