SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-03-19, 02:22 PM   #1186
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123
Uploads: 0

Hi K
You should be able to add anything to a path as long as there are no spaces.
You can have C:\SilentHunter3 but not C:\Silent Hunter3.

Post #45 Steam Conversion Installation Instructions For LSH3-2015 > By ValoWay > New Instructions.

STEAM And SH3 Problem Sorting By Propbeanie

Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-19, 09:18 PM   #1187
Kickbum
Swabbie

Downloads: 16

Thanks for all of your work mate - that worked
Kickbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-19, 07:42 AM   #1188
Nicrolyte
Swabbie

Downloads: 74
Default Steam Installs, boils down to C-programsX86

so Windows 10 dose a few things like making one check that box in file property's from anything downloaded off the internet to unblock it. which I've known about for as long as ive been using win 10. and ive been play'n a few of the mods from Subsim here (SH5) and they are great considering [Thank you all Very Much] and I have loved the feature on SH3 Grey Wolves where it took care of the steam issue for me.. But am i to understand the entire Steam Install or Steam Version Issue which i had read was some kind of *.dll or something complex which is why I had been following the sometimes complex instructions to the letter for using a special file or this or that... It is all stemming from this protected Files feature. Which I am not subject to anyways since all my Steam games are installed to D: separate HD than Win 10 os because the Solid State Drive that the OS is on is only 128Gb and the second drive is 1Tb so Everything that isn't OS critical I have obviously Diverted off of the C Drive. So am I correct in my assessment here???? since not only are my games not going to the same Programfiles Steam\ common bla bla... the folder exists as steam is there but as i said Everything goes to D: a different Drive entirely. so all I need to to is Rename the Silent Hunter 3 to "SilentHunter3" ? right?

Last edited by Nicrolyte; 01-05-19 at 07:51 AM.
Nicrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-19, 10:07 AM   #1189
THEBERBSTER

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Nicrolyte
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below

probeanie is the King of STEAM so if you do not get a reply here send him a PM with your problem.
Old 01-05-19, 12:06 PM   #1190
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Ah-ha! This is why my ears were itching!... either that, or my ear hair needs trimming again... TMI!

Steam itself can be installed in any folder, including Program File type folders. It's the game itself that cannot, and has to be in a separate "Library" folder that is NOT in a protected folder. SH3 & SH4 use the same basic engine, written during Windows XP days. JSGME was also written during the Windows XP days. UAC (User Access Control) was introduced with Vista, and has been with us ever since, in one form or another. Its purpose was to help "protect" the OS and important files, UAC (and others of its ilk) from user "intervention", shall we say? Therefore, if you make edits to certain files in a protected folder, Windows will "see" the edits, and roll them back. This is why you don't install the old game in a protected folder.

In your case, D:\AnyFolder\Steam works because you are not in a protected folder. However, that does NOT preclude following mod install instructions, such as "remove spaces from the path" such as making "Silent Hunter 3" into "SilentHunter3", or just "SH3", because the install routine cannot handle "spaces" in its command line, so you always follow install instructions, but you don't have to worry as much about the Steam install. Just pay attention to any warnings about it...

As for having to "update" the SH3.exe file itself, Steam has the "latest" SH3.exe file already. So you are at v1.4b (1.4.0.1), and you don't have to mess with those StarFarce strippers, or executable updaters. Getting SH3Commander and the add-ons going can be a bother though. I just went to try SH3 Commander again (hadn't updated things lately), using the GWX config, and forgot to change the SH3 install folder, and ended up in LSH instead... so those take the "default" folder from the Windows registry. Be careful there. I can start LSH fine through SH3C, but not the desktop short-cut... - further investigation is required... Steam doesn't stand still, and follows Windows, but SH3 can't...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-19, 06:05 PM   #1191
Nicrolyte
Swabbie

Downloads: 74
Default Excellent

Thank you, this not only simplify's things for me. It also gives me a grasp of the Underpinning for these instructions which i understand. Thank you.
Nicrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-19, 06:19 PM   #1192
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Nicrolyte!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-19, 10:14 PM   #1193
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

You are more than welcome Nicrolyte. Re-reading my reply above, it almost looks like I was nipping Aktungbby's scotch stash (you'd better go check, mister!), or else I accidentally deleted most of a line... this might make a bit more sense:
Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
... UAC (User Access Control) was introduced with Vista, and has been with us ever since, in one form or another. Its purpose was to help "protect" the OS and important files, from user "intervention", shall we say?...
I just deleted what was probably originally a snide remark directed in Microsoft's or Ubisoft's direction(s)...

Disclaimer: Any and all information gleaned from any propbeanie post may or may not be helpful, and may or may not be accurate. Small mushroom clouds may occasionally be seen over central Indiana, USA - no need for alarm, usually...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-19, 11:49 PM   #1194
Lord_Kane
Watch

Downloads: 212

Is this still under development or has the dev team vanished into the murky depths?
Lord_Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-19, 02:30 AM   #1195
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome back!

Lord_Kane! AFTER A SEVEN YEAR HIATUS!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-19, 03:39 AM   #1196
ericlea
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Kane View Post
Is this still under development or has the dev team vanished into the murky depths?

Still under development !

https://www.designmodproject.de/en/f...art=90#1447738

ericlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-19, 09:38 AM   #1197
Lord_Kane
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Lord_Kane! AFTER A SEVEN YEAR HIATUS!

I am a terrible lurker, I rarely tend to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlea View Post

Good to hear, shame I cant read german.
Old 01-11-19, 06:55 PM   #1198
THEBERBSTER

Lord_Kane welcome back to Subsim.
Old 01-15-19, 02:10 PM   #1199
Lord_Kane
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Lord_Kane welcome back to Subsim.

Thank you, also your guides are handy to have.
Old 01-19-19, 03:33 AM   #1200
steevo45
A-ganger

Downloads: 483
Default Installing LSH3 in Steam

I have tried to install LSH3 for steam according to the instructions found on Berbster and other locations of using another location and naming the folder SilentHunter3 with no spaces. However, when I try to start the download to this location I immediately get the message 'unable to locate packed archive'.
Any suggestions as to a possible solution/what I'm missing?
If I've overlooked something repeated before many times I apologize!
Thanks in advance
steevo45 is offline   Reply With Quote