SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-13-08, 01:01 PM   #526
UBOAT234
Weps

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergbuto
Maybe it will be more convenient to have input for multiple files in S3D, each for diffuse, AO, bump, etc. Say, a menu with type-in bars and Browse buttons to input the file names under diffuse, AO, bump etc headers. Then S3D will know what UV set to get from what file and can offset UV index/numbering for the DAT file. Naturelly, input files need to be prepared accordingly.
WOW
Great... is possible?

www.uboat234.com
UBOAT234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-08, 01:10 PM   #527
sergbuto
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergbuto
Maybe it will be more convenient to have input for multiple files in S3D, each for diffuse, AO, bump, etc. Say, a menu with type-in bars and Browse buttons to input the file names under diffuse, AO, bump etc headers. Then S3D will know what UV set to get from what file and can offset UV index/numbering for the DAT file. Naturelly, input files need to be prepared accordingly.
I meant multiple OBJ files of course.
Old 04-13-08, 07:29 PM   #528
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

Holy crap, I just noticed one hour ago there's a Save/Load option in the UVW unwrap modifier that saves or loads uvw's from a *.uvw file. Why did nobody tell me!!! :rotfl:

It took me 30 mins to debug the file in a hex editor, change my exporter in another 30 mins and bam, instant multi UV data into Max.

Crap... :rotfl:

On a side note, this obviously won't help users that work in other 3d studio's, so my question is, are there similar functions in ie. Maya/Blender?? If yes, I prefer going this route instead of multi obj-files. All you need is one obj-file, and one uvw file (regardless of number of channels as far as I can tell now)...

I find this very humorous and annoying at the same time... So Maya/Blender users, please look for a similar function and let me know...
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-08, 07:00 PM   #529
skwasjer
The Old Man

So ok, I implemented both ways, for Max users, they can do the 'easy' method of importing .uvw files. Then there's also the fallback option to import/export using additional .obj files per uv-channel.

Also the number of provided options should give everyone the flexibility to use any 3D studio of choice.

Export works fully, import about 95%. Then the inevitable QA checks, and then release. ETA, probably a couple of days.

Old 04-14-08, 08:37 PM   #530
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 10

Congrats on getting it fingered out, Skwas I'm sure that's a load off the old shoulders, eh?

RSM-GIEP-Killflags-LV Tribute-Playable Elco __Peace be with you, Dave.

Digital_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-08, 07:10 AM   #531
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1

"С чем боролись на то и напоролись" ...
OK.
About screenshots ... It is better to use standard 3DS Max terminology (for me) ...

P.S. and may be ... http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...&siteID=123112
http://www.softimage.com/downloads/C...k/default.aspx

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...

Last edited by Anvart; 04-15-08 at 12:59 PM.
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-08, 08:12 AM   #532
skwasjer
The Old Man

I do not understand Russian

@everyone

The default settings are all finetuned to use with the Max import/export settings that Anvart has posted in another thread. So basically, you don't have to change anything in Max and S3D if you have previously followed those guidelines.

I will post a walkthrough soon (when I release this version) explaining every option (and how to load the extra uv's in Max) for anyone that needs to know... I can't do this for other 3D software, but I'm sure others will.
Old 04-15-08, 08:36 AM   #533
skwasjer
The Old Man

Oh, and here's a Yamato twice as wide, with AO map.

Old 04-15-08, 08:39 AM   #534
DrBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 36

SHE'S GONNA BLOW!!!

:rotfl:

Let the Beast inside you free!
DrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-08, 10:00 AM   #535
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18
Default way

so am I ! way to go skwasjer !!
keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-08, 04:47 PM   #536
skwasjer
The Old Man

ARE YOU READY FOR IT?

Well, just a bit patience :rotfl:

Seriously, I've just about finished testing v0.8, which, next to model import/export features a couple of other cool improvements. I still have to do the documentation/installer/website, but I'm happy this is finally sorted now.

I'd like to say one thing regarding this release (and more importantly, model import/export), don't 'expect' it to work. This is not to say I did a sh!tty job because I'm sure it will work in most cases, but there's hundreds and hundreds of lines of new code, that most guaranteed will contain one or more bugs somewhere. It's just to make sure everyone takes this new functionality with care, and tests their projects/customizations carefully before releasing any mods.

For that matter, consider v0.8 as a whole 'unstable'. I won't publish it either using my autoupdate feature (yet) to prevent the mass from using it (without reading this). You will be allowed to install it side by side with 0.7.x although you can't run them simulteously... This ensures you can fall back if you run into problems. So, make sure you make backups of your own modded files (which you should do regularly anyway), if you start using this release to avoid drama later.

I say this all in advance, so you all are warned... Obviously, I appreciate your feedback if you run into any issues.

I'm not sure if I'm gonna make it tonight, but I'll try. If not, no later than tomorrow. Get your models from your backup drives, and prepare to lose some sleep people...
Old 04-15-08, 04:54 PM   #537
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Very cool.
I hope you corrected the little thing I PM'ed you about also.
No big deal to me but..........
Old 04-15-08, 05:30 PM   #538
skwasjer
The Old Man

Yes I corrected this, although I haven't tested it to death. The fix worked on the models I did try...
Old 04-15-08, 05:59 PM   #539
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Cool.
I know Pack3D has the same problem if you try useing certian versions.
I just did a name change to get around it.

Just figured I'd save you some 'splaining' time.
:rotfl:
Old 04-15-08, 08:54 PM   #540
skwasjer
The Old Man

As promised. Can be installed side-by-side with v0.7.

This is a private release, only distributed through this thread. It is NOT available on my own site. Until I have some positive feedback, that is...

Now I want to see new ships fully mapped TOMORROW. And fully mapped, new interiors NEXT WEEK! OK???

[edit] For a walkthrough see this thread: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=135177
[edit2] Please make a backup of your own mods pre v0.8. In case of problems, use that backup with v0.7.
[edit3] For obj-files, best use a high float precision, both in S3D and in 3D studio. 8 or higher at least. This ensures both accuracy and S3D can optimize the UV table better.

Version v0.8.0 - The download has been removed and replaced by a newer version. Please follow my sig links

New
  • Model exporter for OBJ-file format. The export dialog provides the option to export additional map channels to either .UVW file or extra .OBJ files. The .UVW files can be used with 3ds Max, specifically the 'Unwrap UVW' modifier where you can load extra UVW data. This method is more direct than using additional .OBJ files. These must be loaded separately, and the user must copy the UV-data himself from that model to the target model.
  • Model importer for OBJ-file format. The import dialog works almost the same as the export dialog. You can feed in the main OBJ-model, and choose to load additional UV-data from .UVW or .OBJ files.
  • New toolbar buttons (dat/sim/zon/val/cam/dsd) that allow you to open related files. Ie. if you have a .dat file open, and a .sim file exists, you can click the sim-button to open it directly, instead of having to do a File > Open > search file... > Click OK.
  • Partial support for mesh animations. You can now edit the timing of mesh animations. The actual meshes are still a todo...
  • Labels that are 'known nodes' now have a description explaining what they are. Ie. cfg#A15_NBB_Yamato will have a description of AA Gun 15, or cfg#P02_B5N2_Kate will have Pilot/Sailor 2. The descriptions are based on a config file [S3D path]\cfg\labels.xml, and I used regular expressions to perform the match, and get the index number. Thanks to Anvart for posting this list of 'known nodes'.
Fixed
  • The Collada exporter failed on some objects that contain illegal path characters in their label (thanks privateer).

Last edited by skwasjer; 04-22-08 at 05:29 PM.