SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop > SH4 Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-14-12, 09:41 AM   #1
iowa101
Commodore

Downloads: 199
Uploads: 0
Yoshida-kun's Mission Madness

Hi all I'm new and one thing I seem to do without crashing my game is Design missions. Now I'm aware that there are many things that make a mission. But just lately I've been thinking to my self that I'd like to create a few Single Missions for people to enjoy.

What I need to know is this.

How do I give my mission a title. I try naming it, and but it comes up as mission-title in the single missions list.
How do I add working mine fields, I add them but never have I come across one mine that I wanted to place. How do I do air raids and naval engagements. and also If I add an enemy submarine will it, dive, fire torpedoes etc?????

Please give me as much advice as possible Thank you

"A good Navy is not a provocation to war. It is the surest guaranty of peace."
iowa101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-12, 02:05 PM   #2
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshida-kun View Post
What I need to know is this.

How do I give my mission a title. I try naming it, and but it comes up as mission-title in the single missions list.
How do I add working mine fields, I add them but never have I come across one mine that I wanted to place. How do I do air raids and naval engagements. and also If I add an enemy submarine will it, dive, fire torpedoes etc?????

Please give me as much advice as possible Thank you
1. Mission title: go to the menu "Mission/Language Localization". In the top window select 'Mission title', in the bottom window delete it and add your own title. There is also a selection for 'Mission Briefing", you can also change that to give info or directions. When you save your mission it will be in the filename.tsr file which you can open and edit with notepad.
You can create a newline or paragraph either by hitting enter or placing a verticle line | .
You can add an image in this format:
#Imagename.tga#0,0,400,256
The image must be preceded by # and end with a #, the numbers are the upper left and lower right of the image. So create a .tga image, the best thing to do is resize it to 400 by 256, that is usually a good size, not too big not too small.
Important: the image MUST be on a line by itself. Do this with enter or using a verticle line before and after the image.

2. Are you sure you know how to create the minefield? Placing an "Ordanance/Minefield" on the map does not create a minefield. When you place the minefield, you create an icon that is a triangle pointing up and a triangle pointing down, make sure to fill in the 'density' box. That is NOT the minefield. The actual minefield is created by giving it a waypoint, and then select the waypoint/properties and give it a radius. Now you can go to the menu View/minefield distribution and the mines will show inside the waypoint circle.
Start out with small numbers to see how it works, otherwise you could end up with so many mine it could bog down a slow machine. Start with a density of 1 and set the waypoint radius to 5, the select "View/Minefield distribution" then select the minefield icon with the triangles, the mines should show in the circle.
Next, select the waypoint, right click and select 'add waypoint' and drag out another waypoint, as you will see it not only creates another minefield, it places circles between the two waypoint which also contain mines.

Just practice with small numbers first, remember the density is how many mine per square KM, so using big numbers can add thousands of mines very quickly if you are not careful.

3. For air raids it depends what you want to do. Air base and Aircraft Carriers send out planes automatically. If you want a specific air raid you can add planes and create a group and give it waypoints. When you make the group, do not place them too close together, they may run into each other.

4. Enemy subs do NOTHING! They do not move, they do not dive, they do not fire torpedoes. The only way to get a sub to do anything is to convert it to a ship and then it will travel on the surface and fire its gun.
There have been people including me that created subs that do travel submerged by 'tricking' the game into thinking the sub is on the surface by loading it into a 3D program and moving the 0,0,0 location so the game thinks it is on the surface. The problem with this is that enemy ships will fire at it even though it is submerged. So the enemy sub idea just does not work very well.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 09:09 PM   #3
iowa101
Commodore

Downloads: 199
Uploads: 0
Ah thank you so much, and why is it that when they create a submarine game you can't actually find and fight against AI submarines. I see the point....NOT!!!

I hope that if they decide on doing a new game that they implement this so that it feels more realistic. and besides finding and destroying an enemy submarine would be the ultimate challenge.

"A good Navy is not a provocation to war. It is the surest guaranty of peace."
iowa101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-12, 02:50 PM   #4
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

at the top of each forum there are perminent "sticky" posts with the most needed and asked for information.

like at the top of the mission forums there is a sticky with all the info to answer your questions as well as other info and resources

good luck with your missions and dont forget you can create patrols as well as missions for the game

looking forward to seeing your work