SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-25-17, 08:43 PM   #1
Leoz
Ensign

Downloads: 253
Uploads: 0
Default A look at the UJAG periscope...

This is just a look at the UJAG periscope.

--Not a "review".
--Just some observations.
--I couldn't be the judge of this as I am now so set in my ways in fire-control (thank you Hitman periscope for making me able to observe things and come u with solutions "on the fly" (school of hard knocks).
--UJAG did an outstanding piece of work.
--Fun.
--Interesting.
--Tested with GWX3.
--I take responsibility for any errors I have made in this post due to missing something important.

This is just a look at the UJAG periscope setup for SHIII available in the downloads section.

It is an incredible piece of work as like some others, it takes a look at a historical perspective of various periscope setups for U-boats during the war.

This setup is where you would squint into one eyepiece to get the vertical range bar.

And the look into another eyepiece to gauge angle on the bow as it pertains to range and also---since you have the grey aob range disk (where I always claim you could use it to calculate oven-bake time of a certain weight of ham) you can solve most of your fire control issues: AOB, range, speed of target, torpedo lead-angle for a zero-gyro angle torpedo shot and more).

This was a lot of fun. The first image above, the vertical range bar makes for some fun math problem solving. Interesting as I was the slow person in maths class.

With this, after some practice if you see a certain ship with a certain periscope zoom setting, you just know. It does take practice. "Bearing mark...range mark..." down scope and then to the F5 map to plot it where your initial observations can be a guess on AOB and refined in time with more observations.

The second image with the graduated lines helps you determine a ships angle on the bow by figuring out it's aspect ratio... length to height. For example if a particular ship at a 90 degree angle on the bow to you is a 4:1 ratio (length to height) and you observe it showing a 2:1 ratio, you can figure out roughly its angle on the bow.

Under the navigator commands there is a pop-up angle-solver wheel.

Under the attack offcer commands there is a pop up attack disk.

Has a pull down, UJAG stop-watch.

Minor nit picks. I feel bad about this part as I think I shouldn't be too critical as I am not a computer programmer.

Where on the MaGui AOB range disk you have a visible, red, "X" and "S" markings, here you have two tiny, warn dashes. They are there but you have to look.

Nice to have for the future? It would be cool to completely take out the stadimeter notepad.

All in all, this is a fine mod, a lot of fun, and made me smarter, (if that is possible)... certainly worth checking out to see if it fits into the way you like to do fire control solutions.

This was not tested in a wide-screen mode. Stock resolution.
Make sure you install the UJAG GWX update patches in order.
Do not use this mod until all of your things you like are backed up and recoverable.

Again, thanks to the wonderful people that put in so much hard work to make things like this available.

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM
Leoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-17, 11:31 PM   #2
Leoz
Ensign

Downloads: 253
Uploads: 0

Just a follow-up on this really nice mod.

I have gone back to the Hitman scope simply because it is more my cup of tea and I have used it for so long.

With that, using this mod for awhile significantly improved my Hitman Scope gameplay in being able to do numbers faster in my head.

So, when I see 60 mils lining up with a 25 meter high mast/stack at a x6 scope magnification, I can do the numbers in my head...better/faster.

And I am usually the slow guy at math.

Again though, I really recommend the UJag scope if for what ever reason, you want to take a try at going beyond basic gameplay and fiddling with numbers.

It is very clean and reliable as mods go.

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM
Leoz is offline   Reply With Quote