SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-09-17, 01:54 AM   #1
YoYo
Ensign

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 2
Exclamation Petition for developer (suggestions)

Hello @Killerfish Games,

The first my contact with Cold Waters is very positive (aside from some of bugs ). Thank You for this title, it was very cold last time with this subject of modern submarines.

BUT.

The title use many shortcuts, I think too many and no any icons on the main screen for many. Please do menu (You can hide it or not, resized ect, like in Silent Hunter) with segregated all commands as small icons from engine silent running to very fast, from release decoy to slide periscope, from course to depth ect.

This game needs this, needs the new "in game menu" I think. Please do Cold Waters more "user friendly" for us.

SH fan, btw. my U-boot Typ VII C41 Click!

Last edited by YoYo; 06-09-17 at 02:04 AM.
YoYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-17, 02:01 AM   #2
YoYo
Ensign

Downloads: 36

Next I notice leak of voices of crew (confirmations of commands, infos about damages, infos about contacts ect). It's an important thing for good feeling and spirit of title like this. Text info not enough and for USSR future subs it will be very good idea too (now only for USA side).

SH fan, btw. my U-boot Typ VII C41 Click!
YoYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-17, 06:43 AM   #3
oscar19681
Admiral

Downloads: 119
Uploads: 0

If i may add a Couple.

Abilty to enter or leave port in 3D for inmerssion purposes.
More sounds for your sub ( passing test depth efc etc)
More detailed seafloor
More life in the ocean ( random fish , bio contacts on the sonar )
Animated torpedo hatches
3-d controll room for immersion purposes.
Simple crew management
3D sail view for when surfaced.

Jim Morrison 1943-1971
oscar19681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-17, 06:45 AM   #4
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

The ability to set up way points to navigate

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-17, 06:21 AM   #5
PL_Harpoon
Engineer

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 4

Here are a few my recommendations (with explanations below):

1. Active intercept should be considered a contact.

I know that currently thy contribute to TMA if you already have established sonar contact but if your sonar can't detect any ships but you receive pings they should be assigned as contacts with low TMA rate. Perhaps when that contact is selected display sonar type on signal comparison screen during a ping. Also if you loose contact with an enemy but still receive pings it shouldn't disappear and the solution should stay at it's current rate until it turns/changes speed.

2. There should be a way to detect helicopters/aircraft other than using periscope.

My idea is to use ECM mast. I don't think you should be able to detect when a heli drops a dipping sonar but your ECM should detect it's radar and based on the strenght of a signal your crew should be able to estimate a range.

3. Add refuel/rearm mechanic to helicopters and aircraft

I just did some simple math and it turns out that a Helix helicopter should theoretically be able to stay airborne for about 4.7 hours, Hormone about 2. With Bears it's a little bit more tricky, but the distance from any Soviet air base to Iceland is about 2000 Km, so that would mean it could stay at any place between for about 9.7 hrs. (all data from wikipedia). But that's considering that they have just took off and flew straight to mission location. You could just start with those values and add a random multiplier to account for time spend before the encounter. Another thing you could add for the aircraft to rearm once they depleted their stores of torpedoes/depth charges. If it's a Bear it could mark your last known location, call another aircraft (that would arrive after, let's say, 10 - 60 minutes) and return for refit. The same would apply to helis, but they would return to home ship, for a 20 min rearm/refuel. Another thing is that if you destroy all ships with landing pads helicopters should immediately head for the nearest land (unless you're close to Soviet occupied territory)

4. Place insertion zones a little bit further from the ports.

It seems absurd to me that you need to put SEAL teams 2km from enemy ports. Any sane captain would just refuse to do that. I think it's ok to make port entrances heavily guarded but perhaps place patrol areas for surface ships and proximity mines along the whole coast around the port but give us several possible insertion zones (closesr to port = higher chance of success) so that we can make a decision: shall I risk detection and try to bring them closer or risk their success and drop them in a safer place

5. Remove passive sonobuoy barriers from missions

I understand the value of those barriers on campaign map (when you pass them enemy subs/ASW groups will converge on that location) but placing them inside missions is just pure evil because there's just no way to detect them. I like difficulty but adding elements that can kill you without any ways of avoiding it is not difficulty. It's just pure luck.

6. Perhaps add some form of anti-air?

This might be controversial, cause there's no proof of US subs having any A-A capabilities, but I'm certain that if this many captains have problems with enemy aircrafts as there are people complaining on forums they would soon be issued with at least a couple of Stinger launchers. Let's say that to use them you need to surface the sail and if the aircraft is within range they would be fired automatically by the crew (unless in silence mode).
PL_Harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-17, 03:12 PM   #6
mhj1992
Swabbie

Downloads: 245

Issues I have ran into so far:

1. 3-d models disappearing / reappearing at random intervals during combat ( realism be damned, I payed 40 bucks, I want to see the damn ruskies and I want to see my fish hit them)

2. Bears / Orions appearing en masse - like 5-10 of them in the north sea where bears especially shouldn't be ( I have read they are aware of this thankfully)

3. I have scared a diesel electric boat passed its crush depth. I fired a fish, and watched as the torp was about 5-10 seconds from hitting it, then poof, gone. Hilarious, but dissatisfying.

4. Maybe it's just me, but the campaign controlling it really really slow. Trying to intercept even other subs is very hard. Maybe tweak the speed of the players sub to give the player a fair shot at encountering their missions and having to duke it out over letting them cuss at their sub as they watch the soviet subs blaze right by them just out of reach

5. Campaign issues: I keep having issues of the game "crashing" where I'm still in game, but it will randomly shift to a blue under water screen with no explanation. Only way to fix the issue is to ctrl alt delete out and turn off the program. Also, just played the mission where you attack the landing party.. Holy hell, within 2 minutes, I was torpedoed and sunk. (this is with running quiet, and trying to establish what contacts I had thus far. I have also ran into battles where I never find anything, after over 30 mins of running from one end of the grid to the other. This, along with the over load of bears, and the fact that ive had them drop as many as 3 torps on me at a time has made the campaign unplayable.

I am still cussing my innocent computer because of this games frustration so far. Id rather play 688 hunter killer over this after my experience thus far.

Last edited by mhj1992; 06-11-17 at 08:31 AM.
mhj1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-17, 03:38 PM   #7
Harley Davidson
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 18
Default Back again since SH2

Well Oncle Neils email got me... I purchased Cold Waters I haven't been here since SH2 tho...

Some things that would really help immersion for me would be:

*Being able to set my speed ie: 2 Knts or 5 Knts etc.. or make turns for any amount of speed.
*Being able to leave harbor with view from conn tower, or conn tower view at sea.
*Being able to deploy or retract towed array.
*Helm station tab, doesn't have to be complicated.. just a tab for choosing depth, rudder and speed.
* the ability to choose the side of the conflict you are on... go Soviet or US.

Great game and I'm really enjoying it so far. Way to go killerfish!
Harley Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-17, 06:08 PM   #8
ValkyrieBSG
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 5

I'd love to see playable USN boomers. Also playable Russian boats without the use of mods
ValkyrieBSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-17, 11:52 PM   #9
Ruslan
Watch

Downloads: 482
Icon14

I'd like to see the company passing over the Soviet Union - (new surface units of the fleet for the United States,specific types of naval weapons for the USSR and USA )

I wrote a review on Steam and voted for
Ruslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-17, 06:07 AM   #10
origl_main_raptor2
Swabbie

Downloads: 14
Default OK, A got a couple

But before I add to your "To Do" list:

THANK YOU
All your long hours working on this sim paid off in the creation of one Hellva sim.

OK, here goes.....

1) The ability to reduce the size of HUD windows, rather than having them disappear when leaving the full screen Tactical Map. Ideally the right hand HUD would show the sub's tubes, while the left would have the same display that shows up when you are in full screen Tact map display, ie boat's info, contact info, weapon info.

2) A TIME EXPANDSION feature, by this I mean a way to slow time down. After all you're trying to run a whole boat by yourself, rather than one set of crew ID'ing sonar contacts, while another set of crew is steering the boat, and so on and so forth, and you're trying to remember which key(s) do which.

Once again, thank you for your hard work and dedication in creating this sim.
This retired systems "nerd" now has something that will keep me well occupied and happy during the coming winter months and beyond.
origl_main_raptor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-17, 08:41 AM   #11
JotDora
Sailor man

Downloads: 26

For me it would be:

- more Mission types in the campaign
- a soviet Campaign
- more different sub skins

Another thing regarding Sounds. You could ask this guy:
(Jive Turkey) for recording a few sounds. As far as I understood he is an ex submariner and knows how to speak the correct commands and sounds just as you would expect. He is doing a lot of live streams and seems to be dedicated to the game and submarines. Just a thought.

Regards

Sebastian

Last edited by JotDora; 08-15-17 at 09:00 AM.
JotDora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 08:13 PM   #12
Ruslan
Watch

Downloads: 482
radar

Would like to submit a proposal for game developers(Killerfish Games) for Cold Waters.If you deem it useful for the game.

All contacts on the global map for the player should not be classified - (not marked as an enemy or a friend ship or a submarine (it can be as friendly and enemy contacts). And when you are already in contact(submerged) you as the commander of the submarine with the help of signatures(radar or esm antenna and periscope) identify enemy or ally.And after that take a decision about further actions of your submarine.

Of course you can enable the option in the game settings that would be classified low contacts display immediately,but it's not fun and I play really.

Мoreover,during the sinking of the ally you get a penalty (loss of awards),translations into more old and weak submarine.

I think it would be more interesting to play for most oldschool players,and plausible.
Ruslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 08:41 PM   #13
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

The ones that "appear" on the global map are the ones that are detected by some sort of Intelligence collection. With that in mind I wish there were more 1-2 vessel groups that don't show up via collection that do need to be identified. That would require having the U.S. signatures in the database.

Also, countries in the AO have navies. Would those vessels change allegiance? It might require going to PD to check what flag it is flying.

I also have to say that I wish the occasional juicy capital ship could be found in harbors. Again, a random generational thing. Always good to low-crawl along the bottom of a harbor on a dark and stormy night.

Just having the rare thought...
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote