Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 09-13-13, 06:14 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default DCS A10 and CH control manager: works badly

Is there any known issues with DCS A10 latest patch, and CH control manager?

I had it not installed since a long time, now did so, got the latest patch 1.1.1.1 I think, wanted to use my old profile, and found it works eratically only.

It already took me some time to correctly make the sim recognise the axis assignments of my Fighterstick and ProThrottle (and Simped Vario Pro pedals), now I run into big troubles doing a new keycommand layout for the CH gear. That is because the sim seems to not recognize it reliably. For example sometimes the two keys assigned to speedbrakes or flaps up and down get recognised in flight, sometimes not (but they work when pressing the keyboard keys). The CH hardware buttons reliably only seem to get relaised when they are unmapped to keyboard commands, and remain in their native DX-numbered state (dx-device 1 button 5, etc) but then these buttons must be assigned to functions in the sim'S own assignment menu. And then control manager is of zero use at all, and you loose the multi-layer option, skippinmg on a whole lot of functionality. But using layered keyfiles (to triple the number of assignable commands to the hardware) does not work at all for me anyway, the sim only takes commands (sometimes) that are programmed to layer 1, never layer 2 or 3. I feel like being teleproted 15 years back to the times when Falcon did not recognise more than three axis-devices.

I'm using latest version of control managewr software. The combo works completely reliably with my other sim stuff, and FSX. I had three reinstalls of DCS A10 now, and getting very sick and tired of it.

And the joystick and keyboard setup interface in the sim must be the most porked mess of a stuff I have ever seen in any sim. A real PITA. Can't they finally get some lectures on minimal software handling ergonomics? It's microscopic in font size, visually as unfriendly to the eyes as possible, and the German interface translation sucks too often, you do not even find important functions under their normal, used-to declarations.

Inflight the game looks great and runs smooth, so hardware limits it cannot be. And as said, the CH hardware runs reliably with other software. But A10 sucks. Last time I tried A10 was an earlier patch standard, short after release of the DVD box. The sim somehow escaped my eyes for long time to come. I start to wish it would have remained forgotten.

Must I really skip on control manager, leave out the tripling of mapped keyboard commands and multi-layer tables, just stick in the hardware and run the keyboard assignment menu in the game menu to get the DX-numbered "naked" buttons mapped to the function list? That would be very poor performance of them.
Old 09-13-13, 08:57 AM   #2
Tchocky
Navy Seal

Downloads: 6

Not using CH, but I strongly agree on the input interface being the most difficult and clunky I've used in a while.

What really bugs me is that it's not accessible from flight, you have to exit to get at control options.

If Rise of Flight can reassign axes and assignments on the fly, so can DCS. Especially with the hundreds of combinations for HOTAS you need with multiple platforms.
Old 09-13-13, 09:14 AM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

I just found out that after connecting the devices without using CH manager, I was able to have the axis on both devices recognised, but I nevertheless cannot make the sim's menu accept butto9n inpouit from the throttle, only the stick. The fighterstick and ProThrottle get loisted in two separate columns, but the throttle is beign totally ignored when wanting to have its buttons used for a function.

A simulation that doers not work with some fothe most reliable and well-poroven hardwarekit around is not worth to mess around with any longer. The sim may be as polished as they claim - if I cannot access it by using it with CH gear, then it is crap, and the interface for CH and DCS interacting is broken.is broken.

And since I use this hardware and manager since 13 years and know they work extremely well with all other software I try them with, no matter the mode, it necessarily must be DCS being broken.

Google showed me meanwhile that I am not the only one having problems. Two categories of complaints: erratic assigning of axis, which is due to lacking knowledge (you need to choose one of the three sim modes in the options in order to have any modification recongised in flight), so this is solvable by information. But the other problem is with people being unable to get their CH gear runnign correctly and the DCS kit accepting keyboard commands via the CH manager. When you are hit by this, then you have lost: no solution. I even used a 37 pages manual on how to program the CH manager for A10, the only problem is: iot does not work what is written there.

I will not buy new hardware just for one game, even less since I am totally happy with CH. Good bye, DCS. Hope to not see you again.

Deinstalling now, that was enough fruitless working on workarounds.
Old 09-13-13, 09:20 AM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchocky View Post
Not using CH, but I strongly agree on the input interface being the most difficult and clunky I've used in a while.
CH manager is arguably the most ergonomic yet flexible HOTAS programming software on the market, even a huge simHQ comparison from two or three years ago agreed on that. You can set up up to 200 commands on the devices, and do the same advanced programming stuff you can do with other hardware - but with the most user-friendly interface out there.

If Eagle Dynamics cannot figure out how to interact with something that solid and proven, then they really need to go back to school.

CH works flawless with RoF as well, btw, when I tried the game longer time ago. It works with ANY game I tried it with, single device, or both devices, with or without manager, flying, or the throttle as just a keyboard command terminal when racing with a wheel or playing some game using many knobs.