SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-26-13, 03:51 PM   #61
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

Olsin's ideas are not yet implemented but I'll try to get to that eventually...
Old 03-26-13, 04:52 PM   #62
ninja turtle
Frogman

Downloads: 249
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublynx View Post
Olsin's ideas are not yet implemented but I'll try to get to that eventually...
Cool. I'll keep a look out for the latest version

ninja turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-13, 11:03 AM   #63
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope

I had to reinstall SH3 and while doing that I decided to install NYGM. I'm happy to say that Charts addon can be installed through JSGME, at least if the configuration is like the one on the screenshot below:

sublynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-13, 02:51 PM   #64
sublynx
Sea Lord

I have added three new charts to the mod. The charts help in assessing the speed of a ship by counting the RPM’s one can hear in the hydrophone. The charts are based on NYGM 3.6A and IABLShipsforNYGM_New, but the chart should work at least partly in other supermods and vanilla SH3 as well.

The idea came from this:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//sho...d.php?t=193770

Thanks Friede Rösing for letting me add your chart to the mod

Here's a screenshot.

Old 09-05-13, 10:15 AM   #65
sublynx
Sea Lord

Default Charts addon 1.4. Beta

I've been working on some new charts and decided to release what I've done so far as a beta version:

http://www.2shared.com/file/ATXdPdU5...n_14_Beta.html

Here's some screenies:

I decided to change the mission orders page (F8) and it looks like this now.

As more and more of ships have been added to SH3 it becomes more important to assess the ship's length and height even if one does not actually recognize it. Here's a German war time way of typolozizing ships, which helps in the assessment.

More info on this:
http://www.uboatarchive.net/KTBNotesGroener.htm

I've compressed the essential info from Raduz's Hydrophone hunting tutorial to one chart. This helps in assessing ranges and ship types by sound.

KLH made an excellent manual on how to use Hitman's attack disc. I've made some of those examples into charts like this.

The UZO in MaGui F does not have a stadimeter or RAOBF rings for range assessment. I've made a slideout chart to the UZO that gives the ranges at different reticle mils. Now you can use this chart instead of asking the watch officer for his range assessment.

The US Navy released a Maneuvering board manual in 1941. I've made some of the most interesting cases into charts. Here's the description of case 14.

Here's the example picture of case 14.

As you can see the charts are mostly educational. These are something I am myself currently using while playing. If I find them useful I might keep them in the mod.

The beta does not have an up-to-date doc on how to install it. The beta is JSGME ready for those players who use NYGM AND MaGui F. It also works for GWX and MaGui F.

Other people have to edit the mod in their games. I doubt many players will opt to do this as it's a big job. Somebody who knows how to use WinMerge and H.Sie's renumbering tool might try.

If you don't like some chart just delete the tga. At least my system does not CTD if I do this. It's sloppy but I do think that the sloppiness does not slow the game down in a noticeable way. You can of course edit menu_1024_768.ini if you want to do it properly.

Let me know if you don't like my decision to take the Mission Orders page out and change it into a chart room. I'm also open to suggestions what kind of charts you might find useful.
Old 09-05-13, 12:19 PM   #66
brett25
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 570

this looks great Sublynx, I always love these kinds of mods beause theyadd the the historical aspect of the game and dont conflict with anythng else
brett25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-13, 12:47 PM   #67
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Sublynx, I've been trying to download your mod beta, but when I follow this link

all I can download is a bunch of junkware files that I don't want. What do I need to do to actually download your file?
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-13, 12:55 PM   #68
sublynx
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
Sublynx, I've been trying to download your mod beta, but when I follow this link

all I can download is a bunch of junkware files that I don't want. What do I need to do to actually download your file?

Sorry about that! Here's a pic. I used the download link that I surrounded with the red circle and it worked ok with me:

Old 09-05-13, 08:43 PM   #69
sckallst
Bosun

Downloads: 115

This a a great mod, sublynx. I might add on to one of your latest additions with the following notations for use with Magui:

If you know how to use the back of the attack disc as a regular slide rule, it's easy to use any of the optical devices to get a very quick range reading with these forumlas.

Scope on x1.5: Range (m) = 57.1 x (mast height / marks)

Scope on x6 : Range (m) = 228.4 x (mast height / marks)

UZO: Range (m) = 405.4 x (mast height / marks)

Of course, you can also use these formulas to estimate mast height (to assist in target identification) if you have a decent range estimate from other sources.
sckallst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-13, 08:59 PM   #70
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Thanks, sublynx. Worked fine.
Old 09-06-13, 02:20 PM   #71
sublynx
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sckallst View Post
If you know how to use the back of the attack disc as a regular slide rule,

Of course, you can also use these formulas to estimate mast height (to assist in target identification) if you have a decent range estimate from other sources.
The back can be used as a slide rule? Now that's interesting. Do you happen to have knowledge of a how-to doc or thread somewhere on how to accomplish this?

And it would be nice to be able to assess the mast height without actually recognizing the ship.
Old 09-07-13, 03:06 AM   #72
Tycho
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 264
Uploads: 1

Great mod, sublynx. For now I use maneuvering-board on map screen, laufzeit and torpedofailure on attack map screen, and rpm charts on sonar screen.
To be use laufzeit more often, I delete the red arrows on the chronometers.

I made a drag scheme for four digit grid. When play, i make quick notes on paper. After that, when i have a time, i write full patrol log outside of the game, and i like to write down my position for the various events with 4 number after grid characters.

Work with 125 km map scale!

Grid AO74

Now AO7418

Grid AE75

Now AE7594

Grid DT9635

sublynx, use it for your mod, if you want.
Download

Last edited by Tycho; 09-15-13 at 04:24 AM.
Tycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-13, 05:28 AM   #73
sublynx
Sea Lord

Wow Tycho, you've done what I always thought about doing with the grid system, but never got around to it I thought it would be too difficult and there you are having executed the thing and also in an absolutely beautiful way

I would love to add your grid system to my mod, but the whole credit for this belongs to you. This needs to be released as a mod of your own. You can release it as a vanilla version and I'm sure lots of people will find a need for it and it will be quite easy to mod it into different GUI's.

Please, contact Neal Stevens or Sailor Steve to get the right to upload a mod to the downloads section and release this as a mod of your own
Old 09-07-13, 10:42 AM   #74
Tycho
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 264
Uploads: 1

There are so many versions of menu_1024_768.ini, I see no point of mod for stock game.
Are there people who play SH3 without a mod that change the file menu_.ini?

Well, right now i have no menu_1024_768.ini from vanilla version, because i install NYGM directly in the game, and use jsgme for another mods.

But ok, if I find somewhere (did not want to reinstall all my instalation) original menu_1024_768.ini file, I make it like a mod for vanilla game. If not, maybe just a file with instruction how to add it to menu_.ini. But it is the same as adding it in your mod and let people deal with it. To me, I do not need to be credit, just want to play SH3 hardcore and in an interesting way.
Old 09-07-13, 12:15 PM   #75
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

If you include a file with the changes to menu_1024_768.ini, then anyone could use WinMerge and h.sie's renumber program to incorporate your mod into whatever soup they have cooked up. Maybe have all the .tga files set up for JSGME, but omit the menu_1024_768.ini and let everyone roll their own.

I too run NYGM, but with a menu_1924_768.ini tweaked to my own taste. I'd be interested to know how many people are running a "stock" version of any of the supermods, especially when it comes to the menu_1024_768.ini. That file and dials.cfg are so key to adding capability that you have to bit-whip them into shape every time you want to change anything.