SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-19-17, 12:41 PM   #46
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 843
Uploads: 0

Last edited by Anvar1061; 07-19-17 at 12:52 PM.
Anvar1061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-17, 01:19 PM   #47
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499
Uploads: 2

Okay this is scary

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

[ENG] SH 4 KSD II Ace Edition
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-17, 03:44 PM   #48
the_frog
Commander

Downloads: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi View Post
1. to the Frog: Which guns_UK do you mean? Is the file supplied with your last ship?
The one with the Southampton/Fiji is the latest; using any other would cause potential problems. The files have also the roll-off chutes, either with one or two DCs. Those chutes and the DC (British-made US type) were made GWX Alex.

@gap:

What is the poly count of those DCs?
Do the DCs loose their arbors upon being fired?
the_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-17, 04:31 PM   #49
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_frog View Post
What is the poly count of those DCs?
On average, a little more than 2,400 polygons for the depth charges, and almost 1,000 for the arbors. Do you think they are too much? there is still some space for downsampling them...

Quote:
Do the DCs loose their arbors upon being fired?
That's what I had planned. DC barrels and arbors are separate models. I think it is impossible making arbors to detach themselves in midair, and to fall down in the water following a different trajectory that their barrels. Nonetheless, we can place them on a child node of the barrel node, and attach to them a VisibleUnderwater controller set to false. What do you think?
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-17, 04:45 PM   #50
the_frog
Commander

Downloads: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
On average, a little more than 2,400 polygons for the depth charges, and almost 1,000 for the arbors. Do you think they are too much? there is still some space for downsampling them...
The US-type DCs in the guns_UK have about 1000, without arbors. That later Brtish throwers had the arbors built-in.

Quote:
That's what I had planned. DC barrels and arbors are separate models. I think it is impossible making arbors to detach themselves in midair, and to fall down in the water following a different trajectory that their barrels. Nonetheless, we can place them on a child node of the barrel node, and attach to them a VisibleUnderwater controller set to false. What do you think?
That could be a good compromise. The later British (and likely also the US) throwers had built-in arbors. That means, no arbor was ejected.
the_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-17, 05:01 PM   #51
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
The US-type DCs in the guns_UK have about 1000, without arbors. That later Brtish throwers had the arbors built-in.
I think with my models, on a modern machine, we are to the limit. As I said, I could still reduce the poly count of my model, for instance I could change16-faced cylindrical and circular geometries with 12-faced ones, but even so, I don't think I can ensure the same level of detail staying below 3,000 faces (barrels + arbors)

Quote:
That could be a good compromise. The later British (and likely also the US) throwers had built-in arbors. That means, no arbor was ejected.
That's not a problem: we can have multiple copies of the same DC, with and without arbors. Do you think there is any other way to mimic arbors detaching from the barrels? DC thrower models with multiple K-gun controllers attached to them maybe (one for the DC and one for the arbor)?
Old 07-19-17, 07:11 PM   #52
mikey117us
Engineer

Downloads: 162

Realism and ASW and SHIII have been neglected the Vanilla Depth Charges a Disaster. Thanks to The_Frog and His Series of Ships we have some help in that arena with his Throwers and Depth Charges. The RN/RCN Mark IV DCT ( depth charge throwers ) Had Expendable Arbor Stands. RN/RCN Mark V DCT were improved ( known as DC_thrower_2 in UK_Guns.dat ) based on the Lend Lease USN K-Guns Design the Arbor and Stand Extend at Launch and Automatically Retract to the Load/Fire Position Both Operated like a potato gun. the lifting charge being War Alcohol ( Not for Sailors Use ) .
Example in game of The_Frogs ( Modified by me ) Mark IV DCT ( Known as DC_thrower_1 in UK_Guns.dat ) Throwing its stand and a Mark VII Depth Charge, as modified with the arbor/stand from the model and a cylinder attached, textured in dark colors to identify as Mark VII for DCT ( Mark VII Heavy Forbidden from use on DCT Mark IV ): ( a Mod within a Mod of My to be released in 2017, New Platinum Edition Flower Class Corvette "The Cruel Sea" Mod.

Here is a RN/RCN Mark II ( Tall ) DC Track/Rail Late Variant For Flower Class Corvettes , His Majesty's Trawlers, etc. ( 3 Versions made 1:without internal store, no smoke emission eqp. External Loads on Deck Rails. 2: with smoke emission eqp. 3: as pictured double rowed with internal stores, and smoke eqp.
All versions have DC Mark VIIs with Expendable Arbor Stand on RN/RCN Chocks.

In closing I Like this thread as ASW often ruins a U-Boats Day! I'm Working on an all new Hedgehog and Rounds for this Mod. Also Planned a Foxer Decoy Allied Counter Measures to Type IV and V Acoustic Homing Torpedoes.
mikey117us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-17, 06:23 AM   #53
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey117us View Post
Realism and ASW and SHIII have been neglected the Vanilla Depth Charges a Disaster. Thanks to The_Frog and His Series of Ships we have some help in that arena with his Throwers and Depth Charges. The RN/RCN Mark IV DCT ( depth charge throwers ) Had Expendable Arbor Stands. RN/RCN Mark V DCT were improved ( known as DC_thrower_2 in UK_Guns.dat ) based on the Lend Lease USN K-Guns Design the Arbor and Stand Extend at Launch and Automatically Retract to the Load/Fire Position Both Operated like a potato gun. the lifting charge being War Alcohol ( Not for Sailors Use ) .
Thank you for the precious information. Honestly I didn't know anything about these retracting launching arbors until The_Frog told me about them yesterday

Quote:
Example in game [...]
...and thank you for the amazing screenies and detailed captions too. Those DC throwes and racks by The_Frog are... wow!

Quote:
I'm Working on an all new Hedgehog and Rounds for this Mod.
A better hedgehog thrower was in my todo, though with a low priority. I am glad somenoe else is planning to model it. As for the projectile, if memory serves me well I should have one ready in my personal archive. I hope I can find it and post here a render for your evaluation.

Quote:
Also Planned a Foxer Decoy Allied Counter Measures to Type IV and V Acoustic Homing Torpedoes.
Is that going to be only cosmetic, or it will actually distract our torpedoes from their targets?
Old 07-20-17, 07:34 AM   #54
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
In closing I Like this thread as ASW often ruins a U-Boats Day! I'm Working on an all new Hedgehog and Rounds for this Mod.
Quote:
A better hedgehog thrower was in my todo, though with a low priority. I am glad somenoe else is planning to model it. As for the projectile, if memory serves me well I should have one ready in my personal archive. I hope I can find it and post here a render for your evaluation.
Here it is ì:

Poly count: 1,140 polygons (projectile + fuze + nose cap).
Mikey and padi, let me know if you would like it for your mods.
Old 07-20-17, 07:39 AM   #55
padi
Officer

Downloads: 126

Quote:
mikey and padi, let me know if you would like it for your mods.
Yes for sure as well as the DCs, but I'm not working on the hedgehog at the moment, this is scheduled after the DCs.
But if mikey is working on the hedgehog I think that I don't work on them so that our mods could become compatible and both works could be used simulaneusly.

Is the fuze cap disappearing under water?
padi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-17, 07:56 AM   #56
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Yes for sure as well as the DCs, but I'm not working on the hedgehog at the moment, this is scheduled after the DCs.

Quote:
But if mikey is working on the hedgehog I think that I don't work on them so that our mods could become compatible and both works could be used simulaneusly.
I think mikey is more focused on graphic/3d stuff, and you on file tweaking. Imo tou should work in a team

Quote:
Is the fuze cap disappearing under water?
I believe caps were removed just before the weapon was fired, while hedgehogs were still loaded on their thrower. I don't remember how the hedgehog is set in game, but I think the thrower model has its own inbuilt projectiles, which are on a separate model than the ammo itactually fires. If that was true, a good compromise would be having capped projectiles attached to the thrower model, and uncapped ones as its ammo. I hope I made myself clear
Old 07-20-17, 08:00 AM   #57
padi
Officer

Downloads: 126

Quote:
I think mikey is more focused on graphic/3d stuff, and you on file tweaking. Imo tou should work in a teamI hope I made myself clear
Yes you made yourself clear😄
Mikey are you interested in working as a team?
padi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-17, 08:14 AM   #58
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Yes you made yourself clear😄
Old 07-20-17, 08:58 AM   #59
nik112
Captain

Downloads: 367

Hey guys
I want to ask if this modified flower corvette had been released

cheers!!@
nik112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-17, 10:10 AM   #60
mikey117us
Engineer

Downloads: 162

Modified Flower Class is Pre-Release screens. Release planned this year will start a seperate WIP Thread soon.
mikey117us is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asw, depth charge, mod, real, realismn